The Avengers (9-4-20)

thrILL!

On 2/14/2020 at 3:46 PM, showtime said:

I thought Square Enix is just publishing the game.  Crystal Dynamics is the company who is actually making the game.

After Square Enix's acquisition of Eidos (CD's Parent Company) in 2009, it became a subsidiary of Square Enix.[2] 

Per wikipedia.

They're a SE dev and have been for a little over a decade at this point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biggio7 said:

Is this multiple player or single?

It's both.  Think of it as a Destiny type of game.  I believe you can do co-op with up to three other people (teams of four).  I'm not sure if this game will features PvP like Destiny does, but it will have deep PvE roots.  There's a story, but I think the way they keep you playing is upgrading your character in terms of level, power, gear, skill trees, etc.

• Like 2

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of characters in the game.  From what they've been showing so far, it looks like there will be six characters at launch.  I guess that's fine as long as they continue to pump in new characters at a fair rate.  I found this posted a while ago

To make sure everyone can play together, Square Enix is offering all post-release superheroes and regions for free. Not only that, but the game won't have random loot boxes or pay-to-win scenarios, the publisher said. It's unclear what microtransactions or DLC will be sold for money, nor do we know what characters could be coming after launch. The initial lineup includes core Avengers characters like Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Captain America, and Thor.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2019-marvels-avengers-game-to-add-new-character/1100-6467665/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, showtime said:

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of characters in the game.  From what they've been showing so far, it looks like there will be six characters at launch.  I guess that's fine as long as they continue to pump in new characters at a fair rate.  I found this posted a while ago

To make sure everyone can play together, Square Enix is offering all post-release superheroes and regions for free. Not only that, but the game won't have random loot boxes or pay-to-win scenarios, the publisher said. It's unclear what microtransactions or DLC will be sold for money, nor do we know what characters could be coming after launch. The initial lineup includes core Avengers characters like Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Captain America, and Thor.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2019-marvels-avengers-game-to-add-new-character/1100-6467665/

Their demonetization model has confused the hell out of me. I'd like to hope Disney/Marvel learned from the BF2 fisaco and were like "no more micro-transactions in our games" and this is SE and they're not super terrible with Demonetization. But who knows at this point. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Their demonetization model has confused the hell out of me. I'd like to hope Disney/Marvel learned from the BF2 fisaco and were like "no more micro-transactions in our games" and this is SE and they're not super terrible with Demonetization. But who knows at this point. 

I really hate that the micro-transaction thing works.  It's awful, and makes for bad games.  But it makes way too much money for game designers to ignore, so it gets built into just about everything now.

If this has micro-transactions, i'm probably out.  Even if it doesn't exclude you from content, it usually means that if you don't participate in them you really have to grind to get everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I really hate that the micro-transaction thing works.  It's awful, and makes for bad games.  But it makes way too much money for game designers to ignore, so it gets built into just about everything now.

If this has micro-transactions, i'm probably out.  Even if it doesn't exclude you from content, it usually means that if you don't participate in them you really have to grind to get everything.

It likely will but I think that will be part of the multiplayer section so you can probably avoid it if you play the singleplayer. 

We just need more info on the kind of game they're going for at this point.

Micro-transactions aren't all bad.  I think people start going crazy when they hear that word.  As long as actual meaningful content is not locked behind paywalls, then it's fine.  For example, if the micro-transactions in this game revolve around skins that don't do anything except make your character look different cosmetically then it's 100% fine.

In Marvel Super War, they have skins in those games that just make the characters look different, but have no impact on game play.

84839017_787745748400304_503146810323448

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these type of micro-transactions; in fact, they're actually really good and healthy for the game.  The issue will be if they release new characters that are behind a micro-transaction pay wall.  For example, if Black Panther was released, but you had to pay for him that would suck.  Why?  Because not having him as a playable character DOES impact game play.  Or if he was free and his abilities were locked behind a pay wall, or if Captain America had certain abilities locked behind a pay wall.  Those are the things that ruin game play for people not willing to spend money.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, showtime said:

Micro-transactions aren't all bad.  I think people start going crazy when they hear that word.  As long as actual meaningful content is not locked behind paywalls, then it's fine.  For example, if the micro-transactions in this game revolve around skins that don't do anything except make your character look different cosmetically then it's 100% fine.

In Marvel Super War, they have skins in those games that just make the characters look different, but have no impact on game play.

84839017_787745748400304_503146810323448

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these type of micro-transactions; in fact, they're actually really good and healthy for the game.  The issue will be if they release new characters that are behind a micro-transaction pay wall.  For example, if Black Panther was released, but you had to pay for him that would suck.  Why?  Because not having him as a playable character DOES impact game play.  Or if he was free and his abilities were locked behind a pay wall, or if Captain America had certain abilities locked behind a pay wall.  Those are the things that ruin game play for people not willing to spend money.

I agree not all microtransactions are bad, but most are exploitative and overpriced.

I dont even have a major issue with new characters being microtransactions, under the right circumstances.

As long as you get a full and complete experience with the game you paid for WITHOUT that additional stuff, so be it.    What I loathe (and it happens alot)   are games that lack content and depth, but are loaded with microtransactions.    EA are the kings of this, but other companies are catching up.

I hear mixed reactions about it.    I heard the game is EXTREMELY linear since certain areas are designed fir certain characters.    Dont necessarily have a huge issue with that, but it depends how redundant it gets.

If the gameplay is fun and it has a good story, I will probably try it sometime, although probably not until its about half price.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 4:47 AM, 43M said:

I hear mixed reactions about it.    I heard the game is EXTREMELY linear since certain areas are designed fir certain characters.    Dont necessarily have a huge issue with that, but it depends how redundant it gets.

If the gameplay is fun and it has a good story, I will probably try it sometime, although probably not until its about half price.

It feels like a 360/ps3 era game with how linear the beta was. Like a modern level of polish on top but it's so small when it's trying to be so big.

Played the open beta...it's fine. Some characters are way more fun than others.
It seems like you will be really building up the helicarrier base as you go and build up each character, but it'll get real repetitive real quick.
Like destiny, division, etc having friends to play with will help out a lot to make you forget you are just doing the same thing over and over again.
Having the different characters help a lot too, which further adds to the annoyance of them locking one away.

I think I'm good with skipping it, maybe getting it when it hits $30 too. Just sort of over these games as a service games.
Destiny will probably always be the best one because Bungie nailed the gunplay/gameplay...all these others can't match that and sorta fail for me.
It's at least more fun combat-wise than The Division.

• Like 1