Offensive Tackle Vs the Field Debate

brownie man

Tackles Vs the Field   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your number 1 choice at tackle in the draft?

2. 2. Which players would you draft over a tackle?

As I look at the depth of this draft I feel we might be able to get enough talent at the 2nd and third round for us to not reach at OT. There’s some elite talent at the top and if you include the receivers who in my opinion are elite we could come away with a top talent and still be able to get some value at tackle later. 

I would draft

Brown, Okudah, Simmons, Jeudy over the tackles

and if Young fell to 3 I’d trade a 2021 first rounder to move up to get him. Young and Garrett for the next decade would be crazy. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 4

Honestly I just want a tackle. Whoever they believe is the best available at the time of our pick. I would double dip in this draft more than likely. I think drafting 2 O lineman is not a bad idea because we have such a need there. We'll see what happens in free agency.

Yes, Chase Young and Myles would be epic but I am not giving up next years first to go get him. I doubt this regime would either. And as our roster sits right now, a WR would be a luxury pick. If we trade Odell, then I guess its a different story but I don't like taking WR's that early. Wouldn't mind Okudah because our corners seem to get hurt here and there. Would be a crazy trio of corners though.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, House1375 said:

Honestly I just want a tackle. Whoever they believe is the best available at the time of our pick. I would double dip in this draft more than likely. I think drafting 2 O lineman is not a bad idea because we have such a need there. We'll see what happens in free agency.

Baker behind a wall will something sexy to behold. 

45 minutes ago, House1375 said:

Yes, Chase Young and Myles would be epic but I am not giving up next years first to go get him. I doubt this regime would either. And as our roster sits right now, a WR would be a luxury pick. If we trade Odell, then I guess its a different story but I don't like taking WR's that early. Wouldn't mind Okudah because our corners seem to get hurt here and there. Would be a crazy trio of corners though.

3 epic corners would be great, we would need to play with a lead though, our run defense sucks and it does not look like it is getting better in a hurry. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I picked Wills and Okudah. Young is a no chance  because he won’t fall. Okudah could Potentially. 

I really want Wills or realistically Simmons 

Unless something totally unforeseen happens, I really, really doubt Okudah falls. But hey, I could be wrong.

I'm really intrigued by guys like Simmons and Brown, but unless the top three or so OTs are gone before our pick, I think we've gotta go with an OT.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Unless something totally unforeseen happens, I really, really doubt Okudah falls. But hey, I could be wrong.

I'm really intrigued by guys like Simmons and Brown, but unless the top three or so OTs are gone before our pick, I think we've gotta go with an OT.

If you take a linebacker they have to be urlacher, lewis, willis, kuechly good, otherwise the value ot not there imo. 

For our defense a linebacker would give us play makers at all 3 levels of the defense. Which would be awesome, a spine you could constantly build and rebuild around for the next 5+ years.

5 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If you take a linebacker they have to be urlacher, lewis, willis, kuechly good, otherwise the value ot not there imo. 

For our defense a linebacker would give us play makers at all 3 levels of the defense. Which would be awesome, a spine you could constantly build and rebuild around for the next 5+ years.

Who’s our play making safety? I assuming Randall is gone. Draft Simmons. He could be a Urlacher type player. He was used very similar in college like Urlacher was. 

9 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Denzel Ward and Greddy as the secondary player of note, i consider them 3rd level. 

Greedy not so much. Dude didn’t really show any play making ability play last year. It’s not about having play making ability at all three levels. They need it in the middle of those three levels. They need better play in the interior DL in the middle with the LBs. Joe, can’t do it all by himself and safeties behind them need to make an impact. DBs are solid for us but they aren’t making an impact vs the Run and other aspects in the pass game. Having solid Outside corners are a luxury when teams can just work the middle at will  

I have a feeling we aren't going to have to make a difficult decision come draft day. Chase young will obviously be long gone, and I would say that no more than one of Jedrick Wills, Derrick Brown, Jeffrey Okudah and Isaiah Simmons is there at pick 10. I like the other tackles a lot, but maybe silly season has exhausted my sense of comfort with them.

I do see Wirfs as an elite guard at the very least and do see that as worth pick 10, but I would consider Isaiah Simmons over an elite guard, and if 3QBs/Young/Simmons/Wills/Thomas/Okudah/Brown are gone, I'd be interested in trading down for value.

Andrew Thomas seems meant, as we would have another franchise left tackle named Thomas, one who also blocked for Nick Chubb in college. I love what he was about in the pass game reaching the second level, though Mind has gotten in my head LOL.

tl;dr I'm extremely excited about this draft and our potential options at 10.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I have a feeling we aren't going to have to make a difficult decision come draft day. Chase young will obviously be long gone, and I would say that no more than  one of Jedrick Wills, Derrick Brown, Jeffrey Okudah and Isaiah Simmons is there at pick 10. I like the other tackles a lot, but maybe a silly season has exhausted my sense of comfort with them. I do see Wirfs as an elite guard at the very least and do see that as worth pick 10, but I would consider Isaiah Simmons over an elite guard.

Andrew Thomas seems meant, as we would have another franchise left tackle named Thomas, one who also blocked for Nick Chubb in college. I love what he was about in the pass game reaching the second level, though Mind has gotten in my head LOL.

tl;dr I'm extremely excited about this draft and our potential options at 10.

Hit a 2 not go for the home run, i lile it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Greedy not so much. Dude didn’t really show any play making ability play last year. It’s not about having play making ability at all three levels. They need it in the middle of those three levels. They need better play in the interior DL in the middle with the LBs. Joe, can’t do it all by himself and safeties behind them need to make an impact. DBs are solid for us but they aren’t making an impact vs the Run and other aspects in the pass game. Having solid Outside corners are a luxury when teams can just work the middle at will  

Denzel was aweome last year once he came back from his hammy issue, im guessing freddie gassed his corners for them to both go down with hammies early. 

Greedy i thought played well, he didnt get his hands on the ball but his coverage was tight and he will get better.. 

I agree and stated earlier we need to get stronger vs the run, and we need a safety and linebackers that can cover a te. Since 99 two things have plagued us on defense, short passes to tight ends and weak run defense. 

It is a shame we do not have peppers he was really coming on the year before, and he hit over 100 tackles last year, he could be come an all pro or pro bowl ss.