Offensive Tackle Vs the Field Debate

brownie man

Tackles Vs the Field   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your number 1 choice at tackle in the draft?

2. 2. Which players would you draft over a tackle?

31 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Denzel was aweome last year once he came back from his hammy issue, im guessing freddie gassed his corners for them to both go down with hammies early. 

Greedy i thought played well, he didnt get his hands on the ball but his coverage was tight and he will get better.. 

I agree and stated earlier we need to get stronger vs the run, and we need a safety and linebackers that can cover a te. Since 99 two things have plagued us on defense, short passes to tight ends and weak run defense. 

It is a shame we do not have peppers he was really coming on the year before, and he hit over 100 tackles last year, he could be come an all pro or pro bowl ss. 

I don’t really see Peppers being an all pro safety. Dude is solid but don’t think he will ever take his game to that ability. 

Given our roster and positional needs along with draft position Tackle is a no brained.  Other than OLine safety looks to be our biggest need.  I don’t want a safety from this draft at 10.  I don’t see anyone at any other position being available at 10 that would be so much exceptionally better overall than a tackle that should be in the board that it would justify bypassing tackle.  Trading up would cost a lot and those mid round picks could be very valuable to the roster this year.  I think you don’t overthink it.  Take the best tackle and be happy.

The only exception I would consider is a possible trade down a few spots if you have a couple rated close to the same and think that you can still land one of them.

18 hours ago, brownie man said:

As I look at the depth of this draft I feel we might be able to get enough talent at the 2nd and third round for us to not reach at OT. There’s some elite talent at the top and if you include the receivers who in my opinion are elite we could come away with a top talent and still be able to get some value at tackle later. 

Yeah, but there's also elite talent at OT. It's not like picking any of the 4 tackles would be a reach. One of those 4 will be there at #10.

• Like 1

If you see an all pro caliber player out there and you see a good offensive tackle as the other option, you take the better player.  If there is a close evaluation between the two, I get the positional pick. But if the option was Jeffrey Okudah versus the fourth best offensive tackle or even the third, taking the offensive tackle is lunacy. Not that I see this situation playing out.  But similarly, if for whatever reason our front office sees a guy like Isaiah Simmons as a guy we can work with and make an all pro, impact player in our defense, you can’t fault them for making a choice like that over a choice of positional need. This was a team with plenty of needs last season. Granted, offensive tackle is at the forefront.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

But if the option was Jeffrey Okudah versus the fourth best offensive tackle or even the third, taking the offensive tackle is lunacy.

I have Okudah ranked out as a 79.
My 4th ranked OT, Mekhi Becton, is a 78.

That's why I lean towards the OT no matter what, barring Chase Young or Derrick Brown slipping.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I have Okudah ranked out as a 79.
My 4th ranked OT, Mekhi Becton, is a 78.

That's why I lean towards the OT no matter what, barring Chase Young or Derrick Brown slipping.

I guess if that’s where our front office sits also, I get it. 

I personally have a much higher evaluation about him but time will tell.

I did this same question in another topic....I'm glad someone broke it out into its own topic LOL. I never know when I have topic worthy material....

As I said before and will say again.....two prospects that wont be there, but just based on value alone Chase Young to keep and pair with MLG and Joe Burrow as trade bait.

Derrick Brown DT Auburn, he's my #1 player in the draft, and I been pimping this kid for 3 years already now.

Jeff Okudah my #3 player in the entire draft. if not one of those two......Thomas/Wirffs/Becton/Willis in that order...

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

I think Peppers can develop into a Troy Polimolulmnopqrstuv type player minus the funky hair.

No way Peppers can develop into that. Troy came into the league with some elite skills. Peppers has been in the league for 3yrs and has shown no elite abilities.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, buno67 said:

No way Peppers can develop into that. Troy came into the league with some elite skills. Peppers has been in the league for 3yrs and has shown no elite abilities.

He biggest strengths were instincts and versatility.  Peppers is one of the most versatile players that I have seen.  His instincts are getting better and better.  It’s all about how much he wants to put in regarding classroom work to develop those instincts.

43 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

He biggest strengths were instincts and versatility.  Peppers is one of the most versatile players that I have seen.  His instincts are getting better and better.  It’s all about how much he wants to put in regarding classroom work to develop those instincts.

versatility? Dude is a box safety. He is not all that great in coverage. Dude has 13 pass deflects in his first 3 years, Troy Polamalu had 14 in his first full season as a starter. He wasnt that versatile in college, people like to claim he was. Dude was moved around because he truly wasnt that good. He went to michigan, labeled as one of the top tier corner recruits. That last a season (if you have a stud/amazing corner, you dont move them). He played a season as a safety, didnt really WOW any one there. His last year at Michigan he was a LB and the dude struggle at times with that positions, mainly on the pursuit angles he took. Yeah the 2nd half of the '18 season, he looked good but again, the Browns played some bad teams during that stretch. When it came to playing the legit offenses, he never really made an impact. Peppers will never be an all pro safety. He might make pro bowl because of injuries or super bowl replacement but thats about it. aint nothing special about him. Just sound ridiculous, comparing him to a HoF safety 

• Like 1