What Happened to the Bengals?

RandyMossIsBoss

Hue Jackson and Mike Zimmer leaving. A lot of OLinemen lost. Burfict being the absolute dumbest most important player ever.

I still think we're throwing dirt on them a little early. They played two really good defenses. I think when Ross and Mixon get going that offense is going to be really dangerous. 

Another thing that might be hurting them is the salary cap explosion and rollover. It's really hard to be competitive right now without paying some free agents 

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Ah, gotcha.  Last year was an average team with some injury trouble and trouble finishing games as they lost 4 games by 4 points or less and tied another game.  Some better luck and a few less key injuries and they could have been a 10-11 win team vs 6-9-1.   This year the defense is still there, but the offense has been a dumpster fire.  Worst oline in the league and regression from the QB.

That and AJ Green missed 7 games and Tyler Eifert missed 8 games.  Green played all 16 in 2015 and Eifert played in 13.  Combine that with losing Sanu and Jones, and you're talking about a pretty depleted set of skill players for a QB notably needs them to play well.

@RandyMossIsBoss

55 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Hue Jackson and Mike Zimmer leaving. A lot of OLinemen lost. Burfict being the absolute dumbest most important player ever.

Hue definitely, but as much as I love Zimmer, Paulie G has been a pretty good DC for us.  Our defense this season even with Burfict out hasn't been the problem.  Defense and ST have performed well, it's almost exclusively the offense that's been the difference between the 2017 Bengals and the 2015 Bengals...

I'd like to add that I think the team has recently done a relatively poor job drafting/developing talent. 

Hill's regression from his rookie season I put more on him than anyone else, but there are other aspects. Fisher and Ogbuehi, despite years of development, have amounted to mediocre at best offensive linemen. Same story with Dennard. I like WJIII but he got hurt last season and is essentially a rookie now. The interior OL hasn't been addressed (especially with Zietler gone). The defensive line has always survived off Atkins and Dunlap (who isn't the best pass rusher) but they've missed with guys like Hunt in the past. The LB group saw Dawson introduced but not much else. Burfict's there, but you need more than one LB and without a veteran in Mauluga, they could've used another one. 

I actually like their past draft a lot and I think these are guys that can contribute immediately if Lewis lets them (doubtful). But I think over the years, they've lost a lot of talent and haven't signed many players or drafted well enough to actively replace them all (Hall, Joseph, Nelson, Jones, Sanu, Whitworth, Zietler).

On 9/18/2017 at 8:56 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

First let's take a trip down memory lane...

December 8th, 2015. The Bengals are 10-2, atop AFC power rankings, the 2nd highest point differential in the league. They've seemingly finally made the leap to true contender after years of being playoff fodder. Andy Dalton leads the league in passer rating with 107.1, over 3,000 yards and 25 TDs to just 6 INTs while completing over 66% of his passes. Their offense looks elite, their defense looks more than formidable, the Bengals are looking primed to make a SB run. Of course Dalton breaks his thumb the next week early against the Steelers and the season falls apart. They manage 2-2 without Dalton but 12-4 isn't good enough for a bye (they narrowly lost in OT to the Broncos in week 16 with McCarron, losing the tie breaker). Without Dalton they are knocked out in the 1st round for the 5th year in a row.

From 2015 to 2016, they lose offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, receivers Sanu and Marvin Jones, and safety Nelson. For a 12 win team, the player losses are practically nothing, and they seem to make up for it in the draft and FA. The loss of Hue is big, but expected, and in 2015 the defense went on just fine after losing Zimmer. Bengals are expected to resume where they left off before Dalton's thumb injury, and are ranked around 6 or 7 in preseason power rankings. They ultimately finish with a paltry 6 wins. While their IR was pretty crowded by the end of the year, it would be dishonest to put the blame on injuries when they started the season 3-5. So far in 2017, it seems to be the same old story, off to an 0-2 start with no offensive TDs.

So since Dalton's broken thumb, the Bengals are just 8-14-1, and Dalton, in 18 games, has thrown for just 18 TDs, 12 INTs, completing 63% of his passes en route to a 87.1 passer rating. 

What happened? Was that 12 game stretch in 2015 a fluke more than anything where things just happened to click perfectly? (and if so, was the fluke merely Dalton's play, or the entire team?) Was Hue Jackson just integral to the team's success? Do they have any hope of recapturing that brief "glory" with the current regime/QB? Did Dalton's thumb injury have long term effects?

I think you've pretty much pointed out one of the main keys right there.  I don't think people give Hue Jackson enough credit where due.  Dalton wasn't the first QB he had fixed to heading on the right track.  He had been doing the same with Jason Campbell in Oakland before the guy broke his arm and was lost for the season in 2011.  So ... I guess there is this thing about Hue Jackson fixing QBs games but then jinxing them with injury and that continuing even this last Sunday when Kizer had to step off that field.

I don't see the Bengals recapturing the glory because Marvin's clock has expired, and he is simply not a motivator like his counterparts Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh.

December 8th, 2015. The Bengals are 10-2, atop AFC power rankings, the 2nd highest point differential in the league.

and it didnt matter then either.

3-10, 10-3..it doesnt matter.

the Bengals are a long term irrelevant  team.

what happened to them? nothing happened to them. Same as it ever was

Archived