Is Isaiah Simmons the most versatile player to come out... ever?

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Danger said:

at 6'4" 230, he's going to want to either drops some pounds if he plays safety, or put on some pounds at Linebacker. I'm sure he can do either, but in the NFL he's going to have to go one way or another.

.......what......? 220-230 is fairly normal for an average LB in the nfl now. He’s going to have to get to the right coach (any of the Seahawks 4-3 Under disciples would be great) but there are teams that will use him the right way, pretty much like how Derwin James is used. DCs are getting more and more creative with those guys and move them around to fit them the best. He doesn’t need to do either to have a lot of success in today’s NFL.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This is remarkable to see. What are your thoughts on Simmons at the next level and where he would excel the most?

I haven't watched Simmons enough to gauge his tackling ability or foot speed, but the Eagles use Malcolm Jenkins as a box safety/OLB in their system, and Simmons would adapt to that role well.  He won't make it anywhere close to pick #21 though.

Edited by TDTimes

Did he really play slot corner that often?  Regardless there is been no one that I can think of who played LB and safety basically at the same time and went between both positions all season long and back and forth multiple times in a game.  His range is crazy impressive and as a linebacker his coverage is amazing.  I do not feel he will be a safety in the NFL but maybe in the right system he will be able to like up all over the place similar to what he did at Clemson.  

At his size to have his coverage ability is very impressive.  I think he sticks at linebacker in the NFL but maybe that would be a disservice to his abilities.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Also, Simmons is going to play SLB in the NFL and that's about it. You won't see him rover around like he did at Clemson. He'll line up outside of the OT and inside of the #2 WR on 99% of his snaps.

He can't play S in the NFL.

I agree he won’t play S in the NFL but he’s gonna play more than SLB. He’ll exclusively play SLB in a Base 4-3 Formation (teams are only in base 23% of the time and in Nickel the rest of the time). In Nickel you’ll see him rotate between MLB, WLB, and Nickel CB fairly consistently. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Did he really play slot corner that often?  Regardless there is been no one that I can think of who played LB and safety basically at the same time and went between both positions all season long and back and forth multiple times in a game.  His range is crazy impressive and as a linebacker his coverage is amazing.  I do not feel he will be a safety in the NFL but maybe in the right system he will be able to like up all over the place similar to what he did at Clemson.  

At his size to have his coverage ability is very impressive.  I think he sticks at linebacker in the NFL but maybe that would be a disservice to his abilities.

Slot corner is the SLB in a 4-3 zone scheme. I have no idea why people keep saying he was a CB in college. If he’s a CB, then so is every OLB that’s ever played over a #2 WR. 

So no, he really didn’t play slot CB in the traditional sense. Just because he didn’t get pulled from the field for a nickel on 3rd down doesn’t mean he’s a CB. It means Clemson played their base defense on a passing down. 

It sounds like I’m ripping the dude. I’m not. He’s great, but I think some are getting carried away by the narrative that he could help you in the NFL as a CB. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I agree he won’t play S in the NFL but he’s gonna play more than SLB. He’ll exclusively play SLB in a Base 4-3 Formation (teams are only in base 23% of the time and in Nickel the rest of the time). In Nickel you’ll see him rotate between MLB, WLB, and Nickel CB fairly consistently. 

I would never take him away from SLB. He belongs matched on TEs or blitzing off the strong side edge. They might move him around, but he’s a dude I’d be very rigid with actually. He’s so good at what a traditional SLB should do that I don’t see a need to move him away from being a TE/Jumbo WR Neutralizer.