Is Isaiah Simmons the most versatile player to come out... ever?

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, TDTimes said:

I haven't watched Simmons enough to gauge his tackling ability or foot speed, but the Eagles use Malcolm Jenkins as a box safety/OLB in their system, and Simmons would adapt to that role well.  He won't make it anywhere close to pick #21 though.

Malcolm Jenkins would run circles past Simmons as a coverage player. Simmons is a great coverage player for being 6’4. He’d be atrocious in coverage if he were exclusively a DB. 

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I would never take him away from SLB. He belongs matched on TEs or blitzing off the strong side edge. They might move him around, but he’s a dude I’d be very rigid with actually. He’s so good at what a traditional SLB should do that I don’t see a need to move him away from being a TE/Jumbo WR Neutralizer. 

In Base, once again, yes, he should be purely SLB. In a Nickel, it is usually a WLB and MLB playing and not a SLB. I think he can play any LB position in a Nickel Formation. Teams are in Nickel 77% of the time.

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Slot corner is the SLB in a 4-3 zone scheme. I have no idea why people keep saying he was a CB in college. If he’s a CB, then so is every OLB that’s ever played over a #2 WR. 

So no, he really didn’t play slot CB in the traditional sense. Just because he didn’t get pulled from the field for a nickel on 3rd down doesn’t mean he’s a CB. It means Clemson played their base defense on a passing down. 

It sounds like I’m ripping the dude. I’m not. He’s great, but I think some are getting carried away by the narrative that he could help you in the NFL as a CB. 

I agree, I did not see him line up at specific slot corner that often if ever, but yeah like you said just because he came down a little as a safety in coverage and was over a slot receiver they called that being a slot CB.

Wish I watched Brian Urlacher in college, he is the only real comparison athletically of a LB/S in college who played both back and forth like Simmons.  Simmons will rip up the combine though and should be outstanding in almost everything.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:45 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

This is remarkable to see. What are your thoughts on Simmons at the next level and where he would excel the most?

I think he's a softer Derwin James. As a rookie James had 418 snaps in the box, 216 at deep safety, 205 on the edge, 166 in the slot, and 22 out wide at corner. Nearly exactly how Simmons should be used. 

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He can’t and won’t 🤓

You keep saying that he can't but I'm curious as to why. I agree that his best position would be SLB but considering that you've posted about 10 things on here putting the guy down, i'm wondering what you're seeing to say these things so assuredly. The Julian Peterson comparison is a good one that I wish I would have thought of @Humble_Beast

42 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You also made me believe the Rams were relevant. For shame.  

The Raiders have one season with a winning record since you lost the SB in 2002. The Rams have three in the past three years. Take a seat, young buck.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, skhurst0398 said:

You keep saying that he can't but I'm curious as to why. I agree that his best position would be SLB but considering that you've posted about 10 things on here putting the guy down, i'm wondering what you're seeing to say these things so assuredly. The Julian Peterson comparison is a good one that I wish I would have thought of @Humble_Beast

I have him ranked in my top 5 players in the draft. He’s a stud and I’ve said that many times. I love him as a linebacker. 

I wouldn’t put him at FS because he doesn’t have the hips for it, nor does he have the instincts to make up for a deficiency in agility. He’s not even that great in zone coverages as a linebacker honestly. He gets lost staring at the QB and doesn’t scan the field for work coming into his zone.

He COULD be a below average safety if you wanted, but why would you take him away from where he is elite? He’s elite covering TEs and doing SLB things. No reason to get cute with him because he was once used as a FS.

I don’t value his versatility as much as others because I think he’s elite in his 1 positional role and adequate elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think a bit too much is made on "versatility" when it comes to players like Simmons, James, and Fitzpatrick. Usually, they just end up playing one position, anyway. Simmons will be a linebacker; James is a linebacker, and Fitzpatrick is a safety.

Derwin James is a real safety tho. But I 100% agree with you.