Is Isaiah Simmons the most versatile player to come out... ever?

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

From what I’ve seen he’s played outside linebacker almost exclusively.

Really? I saw him play S on multiple occasions for the Chargers. 9 times out of 10 they roll him down to LB and he’ll never play pure S in nickel packages, but he’s shown to be more than capable of covering in the deep 1/3 or 1/2. 

On 2/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Slot corner is the SLB in a 4-3 zone scheme. I have no idea why people keep saying he was a CB in college. If he’s a CB, then so is every OLB that’s ever played over a #2 WR. 

So no, he really didn’t play slot CB in the traditional sense. Just because he didn’t get pulled from the field for a nickel on 3rd down doesn’t mean he’s a CB. It means Clemson played their base defense on a passing down. 

It sounds like I’m ripping the dude. I’m not. He’s great, but I think some are getting carried away by the narrative that he could help you in the NFL as a CB. 

He wasnt covering #2 WRs, he is covering the 2nd man in from the outside or the #2 WR to that side. If he was legit covering the #2 WR, then he is def not your typical OLB.  

On 2/14/2020 at 12:48 PM, Danger said:

at 6'4" 230, he's going to want to either drops some pounds if he plays safety, or put on some pounds at Linebacker. I'm sure he can do either, but in the NFL he's going to have to go one way or another.

he reminds me a lot of Urlacher when he was coming out

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Really? I saw him play S on multiple occasions for the Chargers. 9 times out of 10 they roll him down to LB and he’ll never play pure S in nickel packages, but he’s shown to be more than capable of covering in the deep 1/3 or 1/2. 

From what I saw last season he was almost always in the box, and I can’t think of one instance where he played deep—although I’m sure he probably has in a pinch.

The Chargers tend to like to deploy at least 3 safety “bodies” at a time between Jenkins, James, and Phillips. Jenkins seems to be the designated deep safety.

A Chargers fan could probably speak better to this, however.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:47 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I would never take him away from SLB. He belongs matched on TEs or blitzing off the strong side edge. They might move him around, but he’s a dude I’d be very rigid with actually. He’s so good at what a traditional SLB should do that I don’t see a need to move him away from being a TE/Jumbo WR Neutralizer. 

I agree with. depending on the defensive scheme, he could be a stud SLB and maybe a stud MLB. I think he could be a better MLB than Schobert. I also think he could be a better safety than say Jabril Peppers because of his coverage ability. I think he can give a 4/3 team the chance to disguise a lot of different schemes and coverages because of that ability. Def could see him becoming a kam chancellor type player

28 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I agree with. depending on the defensive scheme, he could be a stud SLB and maybe a stud MLB. I think he could be a better MLB than Schobert. I also think he could be a better safety than say Jabril Peppers because of his coverage ability. I think he can give a 4/3 team the chance to disguise a lot of different schemes and coverages because of that ability. Def could see him becoming a kam chancellor type player

Chancellor was a hitter for the most part and was nothing great in coverage.  Sean Taylor is one of the few big safeties that could hit and cover actually, he was great in the box, great tackler and could play deep coverage and pick off passes.   Few could do that and Chancellor was not a coverage guy, he was a hitter over the middle when the rules allow such a thing.  Simmons to me is far better in coverage than Chancellor was and in the NFL of today would not be surprised if they play him in a variety of positions considering how spread out the league is.  OLB makes the most sense because then he can cover the backs and or TEs not to mention receivers if need be.  Few if any OLBs can actually do that so it makes him crazy valuable.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I have him ranked in my top 5 players in the draft. He’s a stud and I’ve said that many times. I love him as a linebacker. 

I wouldn’t put him at FS because he doesn’t have the hips for it, nor does he have the instincts to make up for a deficiency in agility. He’s not even that great in zone coverages as a linebacker honestly. He gets lost staring at the QB and doesn’t scan the field for work coming into his zone.

He COULD be a below average safety if you wanted, but why would you take him away from where he is elite? He’s elite covering TEs and doing SLB things. No reason to get cute with him because he was once used as a FS.

I don’t value his versatility as much as others because I think he’s elite in his 1 positional role and adequate elsewhere.

Completely agree. Mostly I thought you were saying that he couldn't play safety rather than he shouldn't play safety. 

On 2/14/2020 at 5:53 PM, BayRaider said:

In Base, once again, yes, he should be purely SLB. In a Nickel, it is usually a WLB and MLB playing and not a SLB. I think he can play any LB position in a Nickel Formation. Teams are in Nickel 77% of the time.

Teams are playing more Dime than Base now. A bunch of teams are now playing 3-3s with only one real ILB. You're probably more accurate to say that Nickel is down to about 65% percent with Dime/Prevent making up about 20% and Base/Goal Line making up about 15%

7 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

From what I saw last season he was almost always in the box, and I can’t think of one instance where he played deep—although I’m sure he probably has in a pinch.

The Chargers tend to like to deploy at least 3 safety “bodies” at a time between Jenkins, James, and Phillips. Jenkins seems to be the designated deep safety.

A Chargers fan could probably speak better to this, however.

..literally just posted his 2017 snap by position last page.

20 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

As a rookie James had 418 snaps in the box, 216 at deep safety, 205 on the edge, 166 in the slot, and 22 out wide at corner. Nearly exactly how Simmons should be used. 

Box 469

DL 249

FS 220

NCB - 205

OCB - 26

Only played 5 gms last season. Unless you think DC Bradley entirely changed his role coming back from injury, he probably played the same.

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

These tweeners are very hard to project in the NFL. The kid can play, there's no denying this but I'm certainly concerned about what he'll do in the league. He's a hell of an athlete, that's for sure.

If he gets a creative DC than he can continue to move all around to make him a nightmare for NFL teams. But he could also benefit just playing only 1 position from day 1. I would draft him to play LB and be good with it.