New Money: 2 years 18.4 million/18 guaranteed/16 SB
Total Deal: 4 years 39 million/18 guaranteed [+3 old signing bonus]

Year 1: 4 GS/3.5 SB/1.5 Old SB [9]
Year 2: 5.25 GS/3.5 SB/1.5 Old SB [10.25]
Year 3: 6.75 salary/3.5 SB [10.25]
Year 4: 9 salary/3.5 SB [12.5]

Re-Signings [19.5 million spent]

LB Nick Kwiakowski 4 years 26 million/13 guaranteed/4 SB

I keep the younger and healthier player at ILB. Kwik showed incredible improvement in pass coverage and continued to be an animal in the run game and as a blitzer.

Year 1: 4 GS/1 SB [5]
Year 2: 5 GS/1 SB [6]
Year 3: 6 salary /1 SB [7]
Year 4: 7 salary/1 SB [8]

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis 3 years 10.5 million/6.5 guaranteed/3 SB

His speed won him a role on defense and I think he should be brought back to fill the role as a pass defending LB and sometimes pass rusher off the edge, where he was surprisingly effective for a 6' guy.

Year 1: 1.5 GS/1 SB [2.5]
Year 2: 2 GS/1 SB [3]
Year 3: 4 Salary/1 SB [5]

S Deon Bush 2 years 5.5 million/3.5 guaranteed/2 SB

They need competition at SS and Bush was solid in the playoff game in 2018 and he was good in the preseason and deserves a chance to compete.

Year 1: 1.5 GS/1 SB [2.5]
Year 2: 2 salary/1 SB [3]

DE Roy Robertson-Harris [RFA] 3 years 13.5 million/9.5 guaranteed/4.5 SB [2nd round tender: 3.5 million]

The Bears should try and use the last year of RRH contract to get him extended to a solid backup/rotational rate. In this deal he gets 3x the guaranteed money that he would on the RFA tender. This is something that the 49ers do often and have had success at getting guys at a little lower rate.

Year 1: 2 GS/1.5 SB [3.5]
Year 2: 3 GS/1.5 SB [4.5]
Year 3: 4 Salary/1.5 SB [5.5]

I Year Deals [6 million spent]

DE Brent Urban 1 year 1.25 million/250k guaranteed
S DeAndre Houston-Carson 1 year 1 million/250k guaranteed
LS Patrick Scales 1 year 1 million/150k guaranteed
OT Cornelius Lucas 1 year 1 million/150k guaranteed
OLB Isiah Irving 1 year 1 million/150k guaranteed
TE/FB JP Holtz [ERFA] 1 year 750k

Cap Room: 27.1 million

Free Agency [21 million spent]

TE Eric Ebron [Indianapolis] 3 years 21 million/12 guaranteed/6 SB

Ebron is not my first choice at TE, but he is 1/3 available TEs that is an actual threat in the passing game, he has experience in a similar scheme, and he appears interested in coming to Chicago. Ebron is not a perfect player, he drops passes and his blocking is not great, but he is a dynamic athlete who defenses have to respect in the passing game. He has 1 season [rookie year] where he averaged under 10 yards per catch [9.9] and he has 4 season where he averaged 11+ yards per catch. For his career he averages 11.3 yards per catch which means he gets the ball downfield and is a threat in the passing game. In his 2 years with the Colts he had 3.8 and 5 yards/per catch of yards after the catch, which is an area where the Bears have struggled. You have to live with some drops, but he gives the Bears a TE that can draw coverage.

Year 1: 3.5 GS/2 SB [5.5]
Year 2: 3.5 S/1.5 RB/2 SB [7]
Year 3: 6.5/2 SB [8.5]

f2382053-0ef5-4ffe-a84c-5068b8214e1e-INI

QB Andy Dalton [Cincinnati] 1 year 7 million/7 guaranteed *200k/start bonus

This makes too much sense. The Bears coaching staff has a connection, he probably is not walking into a starting role, he is the perfect level of comp and cost, and if he is released he does not cost the Bears a comp pick for the loses on defense. Dalton pretty much guarantees you 2018 Mitch as that is what his career averages work out to be. This is identical to the deal that Tannehill took, minus the Dolphins paying some of the money in exchange for a pick.
gettyimages-1065199318-e1556680485289.jp

OG Stefen Wisniewski [Kansas City] 2 years 8 million/4 guaranteed/1 SB

The Bears need a veteran OG that can step in week 1 at RG and allows them to enter the draft not needing to force the pick. Wisniewski is not a world beater, but he is a rock solid OG that has started 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls for teams that run the same system as the Bears. He can play all the interior OL positions and if he gets beat out by a draft pick he can be the swing interior backup.

Year 1: 3 GS/.5 SB [3.5]
Year 2: 4 GS/.5 SB [4.5]

Stefen+Wisniewski+Super+Bowl+LIV+San+Fra

S Tony Jefferson [Baltimore] 1 year 2.5 million/500k guaranteed *100k/start bonus, 100k/interceptions, 250K pro Bowl, 250K 10+ starts. [2.5]

He is going to be released by Baltimore coming off an early season ACL. The Bears can get him cheap, he can get healthy and compete with Bush. When healthy he is a versatile, physical, leader in the back end who can allow Jackson to stay in the middle of the field and do the in the box work. This could be an incredible value if he gets healthy.
gettyimages-1174186743-e1570395900760.jp

CB Rashan Melvin [Detroit] 1 year 2.5 million/1 guaranteed [2.5]

The Bears have youth at CB2, but they need a veteran they can turn to if the young guys struggle. Melvin has size, starting experience, and a connection to Pagano. He can come in and be ready in case Tolliver or Roberson fail to hold the job.
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQOOCJWm9BFdEP3cznIx

Cap Room: 6.1 million

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

Draft [4 million spent]

2[43] C/OG Cesar Ruiz [Michigan] 6'4" 319lbs.

The Bears need to start moving their line from average to dominant and they need to upgrade the talent to do so. The scheme sucked last season and the OL was poorly prepared and was blowing assignments, but more often than not they were simply getting beat. The Bears need a RG that has the size and power to be a force in the run game and someone with the athletic ability for the zone run and screen game. Ruiz is a big dude with a ton of raw power, but he also moves really well. He offers position versatility and a ton of upside to the interior OL.
GettyImages-1185484628-e1578087692770.jp

2[50] OLB Julian Okwara [Notre Dame] 6'5" 252lbs.

The Bears need a cheap, high upside, upgrade to the pass rush and the only place to find that is in the draft. Okwara is a raw athlete, but the tools are there for him to have an impact as a pass rusher. Okwara needs some time and coaching and in Chicago he does not need to start and can play exclusively on passing downs. He has the height and long arms that Pace seems to favor and more power than Floyd.
8762641.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

4[144] TE Stephen Sullivan [LSU] 6'5" 245lbs.

Ebron is an upgrade at TE and someone who defenses actually have to bother to cover, but he is a short term fix with question marks. The Bears need to continue to add to the position and give themselves options. Sullivan burst on to the draft scene at the Senior Bowl after converting to TE from WR and not playing a ton at LSU. He has incredible size, length, and catch radius. He is an above average athlete for the position. He needs time and development and he should get that in Chicago with Ebron starting and Burton backing up until he pulls the shoot again.
8646147.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

5[163] OT Yasir Durant [Missouri] 6'7" 330lbs.

The Bears are pretty stuck at OT for the 2020 season, but they should start the process of developing cheaper and better options at OT. Leno and Massie were not good in 2019 and average QBs need better production from the OT spot. Durant is a massive, raw, JUCO, transfer who needs some work on his technique and footwork, but the skills are there to develop into an NFL OT. He gets a year as a backup to work with Castillo before he really competes in 2021.
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRSnIwMMt1SHr6_iS09v

6[196] RB Antonio Gibson [Memphis] 6'1" 220lbs.

Gibson only has 1 year of production, but he had an impressive year in the run and pass game and would be an interesting versatile addition to the backup running back spot. He can catch passes as he had 38 catches for 19 yards per catch, he can run the ball after 33 rushes for 11 yards per run. He is raw and inexperienced, but an explosive player that can be develop and get a couple of touches a game and offers more size than the over used Cohen.
9629059.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

6[200] S J.R Reed [Georgia] 6'1" 195lbs.

The Bears need an option in case Jefferson's knee takes longer to heal than expected. Reed comes from Pace's favorite school, he is a team leaser, and has solid athletic tools. Reed does not have elite ball skills and production, but he is a reliable player who should be able to fill Bush's role on special teams and offer some depth.
9441366.jpg

7[226] QB James Morgan [Florida Atlantic] 6'4" 223lbs.

The Bears will add a QB just for optics sake and to put on the PR and "see what happens". Every rep that Bray gets is a total waste of time. Morgan has the size and arm to be an NFL QB. He has experience in the air raid offense [Bowling Green] and in a more pro style offense at Florida International. The Bears can see what happens with him. 99% chance he is not an NFL QB, but you need to take a swing.
Ash-Morgan-181109-web-660x400.jpg

7[233] OLB James Smith-Williams [NC State] 6'3" 268lbs.

The Bears need to add multiple young cheap pass rushers and hope they get something out of one of them in the 2020 season and long term they can be cheap rotational depth. Smith-Williams is a raw, well built, and athletic pass rusher who has physical tools, but very little in the way of refinement. He can work as a deep backup and on special teams while they try and coach up the technique and pass rush moves.
_big_WM%20at%20State%209-1-16___A001-379

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Dalton, Morgan [PR]
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Gibson, Holtz
WR: Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Wims, Patterson
TE: Ebron, Burton, Sullivan, Horsted
LT: Leno, Durant
LG: Daniels/Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Wisneiwski/Ruiz
RT: Massie, Lucas

RE: Nichols, RRH
NT: Goldman, Anderson
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Floyd, Okwara
ILB: Smith, Iggy
ILB: Kwit, KPL, Woods
OLB: Mack, Irving, Smith-Williams
CB: Fuller, Tolliver/Melvin/Roberson, Skrine, Shelley
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Bush/Jefferson/Reed

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 2

Sigh, we're back to "****Bears" territory where I look forward to these as much/more than I did certain games from the preceeding season...

Great work I think your FA sets up great to take BPA in the draft.  The strong safety spot makes me a tad nervous but really there's no glaring holes with limited resources so I would be happy with this. 

Over/Under for seeing Morgan jerseys by week 6?

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I like this a lot. Reed and Smith-Williams have a ton of upside for picks that late.

My only issue is paying Wisniewski $8M and using pick 43 on IOL. They aren't giving up on Daniels yet and obviously not Whitehair, so where would both play?

Because when you sign Wisneiwski you have no idea that you are going to draft an OG in the draft.

You need to sign someone capable of starting in case the draft doesn't break your way or the rookie is not ready to start.

Even if Wisniewski gets bumped to a backup role, 3.5 million for a super experienced OG/C backup isn't that much.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Because when you sign Wisneiwski you have no idea that you are going to draft an OG in the draft.

You need to sign someone capable of starting in case the draft doesn't break your way or the rookie is not ready to start.

Even if Wisniewski gets bumped to a backup role, 3.5 million for a super experienced OG/C backup isn't that much.

Then if I know they already Wisniewski, I'd probably use 43 on another position. That's all I'm saying. I'm not sure I like Ruiz enough to still go IOL at 43 despite Wisniewski.

35 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Then if I know they already Wisniewski, I'd probably use 43 on another position. That's all I'm saying. I'm not sure I like Ruiz enough to still go IOL at 43 despite Wisniewski.

Wisniewski is a fringe starter, an upgrade for the Bears, but far from a dominant player.

The Bears need to build a dominant line. We don’t have an elite QB to come in here and make everyone better. The OL has to make the QB better.

• Like 2