February Mock Offseason

WindyCity

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He's also had good or great QB's his entire career, which he definitely wouldn't have here. 

Last season he was on pace for 545 yards 4.5 TDs splitting targets with Jack Doyle and with Jacoby Brissett, who the Colts can’t wait to replace, throwing the ball.

He is just better than Burton.

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Last season he was on pace for 545 yards 4.5 TDs splitting targets with Jack Doyle and with Jacoby Brissett, who the Colts can’t wait to replace, throwing the ball.

He is just better than Burton.

Well duh. I'm not saying he isn't but to think he'll automatically come here and have 55 catches, 600 yards and 7 TD's is a little shortsighted imo

Edited by beardown3231

26 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Well duh. I'm not saying he isn't but to think he'll automatically come here and have 55 catches, 600 yards and 7 TD's is a little shortsighted imo

If he's the 2/3 behind Robinson and splitting with Miller, I can see him having that. Maybe not so many TDs, but it's not impossible.

8 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I'm down.  I was against trading away a 2nd earlier for either one of those two guys but come to think about it they are more talented than any TE prospect in this upcoming class and are still cost controlled for the next season.  Not sure if their 5th year options have been exercised, but either way it is worth a gamble I think.

Spotrac doesn’t show either having been exercised yet, but I believe the deadline to exercise the options is like May 3rd so it’d be our option to exercise if we trade for them before the draft. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

The problem with Ebron is that he needs to be heavily featured to put up those numbers. He’s not consistent.

Honestly do people care more about statistics and numbers or the fact that a healthy Ebron will open things up on the offensive side for everyone else?

Simply put he is going to command respect from opposing defenses, especially in the red zone.  That alone should help out tremendously. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Honestly do people care more about statistics and numbers or the fact that a healthy Ebron will open things up on the offensive side for everyone else?

Simply put he is going to command respect from opposing defenses, especially in the red zone.  That alone should help out tremendously. 

Agreed. You actually have to cover him and he can generate big plays from the TE spot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Agreed. You actually have to cover him and he can generate big plays from the TE spot.

Exactly. Burton is pretty average as far as receiving TEs go but opponents had to respect that he was a viable option in the short to middle passing game. The difference in what we could do in the passing game when that went away last year when Burton was out and not adequately replaced was seen reflected in every other position group. At minimum we need that Burton level of threat at the position. Ideally we get that from Burton himself but we definitely can’t afford to just count on that. 

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Am I crazy to say I think Horstead is more talented than Burton and can be better than him or at least as good as a healthy Burton this season? 

No you're not crazy.  Honestly I never thought that Burton was anything special.  I think he was just the best available option for the team at the time when Nagy was hired to fill that role on offense, and Bears had to overpay for him considering that they were coming off a 5-11 season and he was coming off a SB championship where he played a big role in winning that game.

Horsted and Burton are both former UDFA's so to say Burton is far and away a better talent wouldn't be accurate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

No you're not crazy.  Honestly I never thought that Burton was anything special.  I think he was just the best available option for the team at the time when Nagy was hired to fill that role on offense, and Bears had to overpay for him considering that they were coming off a 5-11 season and he was coming off a SB championship where he played a big role in winning that game.

Horsted and Burton are both former UDFA's so to say Burton is far and away a better talent wouldn't be accurate.

See, I think he's maybe a little crazy, maybe.  Burton was pretty reliable in 18. Horstead is a who-knows.  Were his flashes last year in games where he was playing due to desperation at the position the real H? Or was his draft position (which was "not") the real guy?  I would certainly say he's intriguing but to take your question literally, to me he has not shown as much talent, but has been around so little that I would never say he couldn't develop into something. 

7 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

See, I think he's maybe a little crazy, maybe.  Burton was pretty reliable in 18. Horstead is a who-knows.  Were his flashes last year in games where he was playing due to desperation at the position the real H? Or was his draft position (which was "not") the real guy?  I would certainly say he's intriguing but to take your question literally, to me he has not shown as much talent, but has been around so little that I would never say he couldn't develop into something. 

I'm not saying Horstead is bees knees.  I am saying 1) he has talent - read potential and 2) Burton isn't that good even at his best. 

Horstead was basically a big WR in college at a small school.  And was a baseball player to boot.   So playing TE in NFL is a radical transition and a project.  

I know Bears were historically weak at the position, but its amazing that he 1) even made the team, 2) ended up starting.

I think as pure all around athletes, Horstead is superior to Burton in every way.