Week 3: Buccaneers (1-0) at VIKINGS (1-1)

swede700

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

As ridiculous as fines for what cleats you wear?

No. Because cleats are part of the uniform code, and there’s no other way of reprimanding someone for not following those rules. 

Fining someone for a play, with no malicious intent, and that was also flagged is doubling up on the punishment. You don’t see every player with a face mask penalty or a late hit penalty, or a roughing the passer penalty getting fined. Sometimes the flag is punishment enough. And in regards to the penalty on Barr, I’d say that the penalty was enough. 

Esides, if the NFL ever wants to actually curb the behavior of the players though fines, they need to implement a standard percentage of a player’s game check to take. Fining a guy who’s making $250k per week $9,000 isn’t going deter anything. 

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Esides, if the NFL ever wants to actually curb the behavior of the players though fines, they need to implement a standard percentage of a player’s game check to take. Fining a guy who’s making $250k per week $9,000 isn’t going deter anything. 

I believe the fines are collectively bargained and prescribed in the CBA. Sometimes I feel like the league fines players with the simple reason being that they are allowed to and they hope that the players will give something up in the future in order to get rid of some of fines.

Archived