Trade Chubb?

BleedTheClock

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling Chubb will not be retained here. He is going to garner a huge contract and it is just never wise to pay a RB top dollar, regardless of how good they are.

I’m willing to bet analytics don’t support keeping a RB that will eat up that much salary. 

I’m a huge Chubb fan and will be devastated if he isn’t retained, but it really might make the most sense in the long-term to allocate that money elsewhere. 

What do you guys think happens with Chubb after this season?

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling Chubb will not be retained here. He is going to garner a huge contract and it is just never wise to pay a RB top dollar, regardless of how good they are.

I’m willing to bet analytics don’t support keeping a RB that will eat up that much salary. 

I’m a huge Chubb fan and will be devastated if he isn’t retained, but it really might make the most sense in the long-term to allocate that money elsewhere. 

What do you guys think happens with Chubb after this season?

If we can get multiple firsts, we have to at least entertain the conversation. It's cold and calculated, but we've seen it go awry for pretty much every time signing a star RB in the past several years. 

That said, I don't think we can really have this conversation in earnest into after we re-sign Kareem--*prepares for backlash about the risks*--for a very reasonable extension.

Chubb is a heavy back with a serious injury history; it's a big risk to give him huge money.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If we can get multiple firsts, we have to at least entertain the conversation. It's cold and calculated, but we've seen it go awry for pretty much every time signing a star RB in the past several years. 

That said, I don't think we can really have this conversation in earnest into after we re-sign Kareem--*prepares for backlash about the risks*--for a very reasonable extension.

Chubb is a heavy back with a serious injury history; it's a big risk to give him huge money.

I love Chubb and wanted him in his draft. The only truly untouchable players on our roster are Myles and Baker.

Myles will be the greatest defensive player in franchise history and I 100% believe that.

Baker could be the best QB in franchise history. Don’t know yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

There was some old statement about a pot and a kettle but cannot recall 🤔...

No Kizer and Chubb are two totally different situations. 

I liked Kizer as a projection and that Hue could coach him. He ended up busting yes but we did draft him 

Chubb is totally different 

we shouldn’t even be thinking about trading him we’re freakin  lucky to have him 

just close this thing down

Pure....

Utter...

Madness...

You let him play next year out and offer him a team-friendly contract.

If he doesn't take it, you let him play his rookie contract out and franchise or transition tag him so he doesn't become a UFA.

That would mean we still have 2 years with Chubb at around 2 million per year.... then there would be a 3rd year at the franchise value which will likely be around 12 million.

In essence, that would be a 3 year, 16 million dollar deal.

That's why it makes a ton of sense to franchise tag a RB after the rookie year.

By no means do you trade Nick Chubb.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Excellent point if Young drops to 3 due you think Detroit trades that pick if chubb is includedI dont think they will but you have to start with a huge piece and chubb is that good.

Runningbacks are a position where you are damned if you spend a high pick or a lot of money on them, and you are damned if you dont have one. 

The Chud year after we traded richardson we were bust at runningback and probably lost games because of it.

• Like 1

Keep him as long as possible. I know he will be pricey, but he is also one of the best running backs in the league and there’s a chance to leave a long term legacy here in Cleveland. If he ends up getting hurt on the contract, it is what it is. Let him play out his contract, try to get him long-term, and if not you franchise tag him and hope for the best in continued negotiations. 

I am aware that guys like Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward will be up for big contracts in the next couple years. I am also aware that you can’t keep everybody. I think from what we saw last year, Baker Mayfield will not be getting a monster contract in a few years as we anticipated after his rookie season. At least unless he takes some really big steps in the next couple seasons. But certainly nothing like Pat Mahomes is going to be getting regardless. That will also potentially open up the wallet for some other people. I really don’t want to see Nick Chubb go anywhere. He is one of those rare guys that just puts his head down and goes to work and produces on the field. 

Edited by NateDawg