Trade Chubb?

BleedTheClock

18 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

1. This thread is a stain on our forum

2. Ogunjobi needs to have a bounce back season if he wants to get paid. He was not good last season, even before Myles get tossed.

1a. It's an RB we are talking about, so not really. Just about any other position and I'm in agreement. There are four major RB contracts as of this moment. 3/4 are disasters. Arguably only three of the top 10 are worth it, maybe just two. All of them were stars when signed to extensions.

1b. Chubb has not shown that he is a three-down back with exceptional talent on passing plays. I believe he could be, though. 

1c. Chubb had a major injury in college. Just because he has stayed healthy so far doesn't mean he won't go the Gurley route.

2. Ogunjobi needs to be re-signed now or never. If he goes off this year, his contract skyrockets. If he plays pretty well then he will go sign somewhere else for middle money. We basically are banking that he sucks if we don't sign him now. There is no fifth year option.

My opinion is that we shouldn't trade Chubb unless we get an extreme haul, more than just a mid first and change (unless perhaps it nets us Chase Young in a trade-up). I like what I've seen our of Larry every year but last so would re-sign him to a mid extension, like 4/$28 mil if he'll take it, test the waters there.

Edited by NudeTayne

14 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

1a. It's an RB we are talking about, so not really. Just about any other position and I'm in agreement. There are four major RB contracts as of this moment. 3/4 are disasters. Arguably only three of the top 10 are worth it, maybe just two. All of them were stars when signed to extensions.

1b. Chubb has not shown that he is a three-down back with exceptional talent on passing plays. I believe he could be, though. 

1c. Chubb had a major injury in college. Just because he has stayed healthy so far doesn't mean he won't go the Gurley route.

2. Ogunjobi needs to be re-signed now or never. If he goes off this year, his contract skyrockets. If he plays pretty well then he will go sign somewhere else for middle money. We basically are banking that he sucks if we don't sign him now. There is no fifth year option.

My opinion is that we shouldn't trade Chubb unless we get an extreme haul, more than just a mid first and change (unless perhaps it nets us Chase Young in a trade-up). I like what I've seen our of Larry every year but last so would re-sign him to a mid extension, like 4/$28 mil if he'll take it, test the waters there.

Every player on our roster is available bar maybe baker for a haul, i guess would you trade chubb for a 1st is a better question.

18 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Every player on our roster is available bar maybe baker for a haul, i guess would you trade chubb for a 1st is a better question.

Unless Detroit trades from 3 to 10 and throws in 67, I would not trade him for a first. To me, Young is worth pick #1, so I could live with it. And agreed, everyone but Baker is tradable for the right offer, not that I want to trade any of our core players.

46 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Unless Detroit trades from 3 to 10 and throws in 67, I would not trade him for a first. To me, Young is worth pick #1, so I could live with it. And agreed, everyone but Baker is tradable for the right offer, not that I want to trade any of our core players.

3 doesnt get young though and the difference between who we get at 3 vs 10 all that different? 

43 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

hav a nice day

tmntmike's alt, confirmed.

41 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

3 doesnt get young though and the difference between who we get at 3 vs 10 all that different? 

That was the theoretical of it, that someone trades up to 2 to grab Tua and Detroit is sitting at 3, wants Chubb and willing to drop to 10. If it has to be to Washington for pick 2, that adds another 400 points to the chart and makes it worth pick 10 straight up to move to 2.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Exactly.

If you don't think this will end up looking like the Melvin Gordon or Ezekiel Elliot situation, you're in denial.

I guarantee you Charger and Cowboy fans thought these threads would have been crazy before contract time too.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Exactly.

If you don't think this will end up looking like the Melvin Gordon or Ezekiel Elliot situation, you're in denial.

And it's funny...in my post above, I was giving Zeke the benefit of the doubt. He's the only top contract who might be worth it, and it's arguable.

I guarantee you Charger and Cowboy fans thought these threads would have been crazy before contract time too.

What it comes down to is separating our appreciation of a player from the business side of things. It's been shown time and time again that top RB contracts are a sucker's bet. I still think it's too early to trade him, but we are about to run a ZBS and everyone hopes it's successful. We all want a run game like SF and yet they have no star back.

tl;dr tender Hunt for a first rounder and then extend him ASAP for something like 3/$20 mil or 4/$26 mil. He's a top-10 back.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

My answer is that I'd absolutely be willing to trade Chubb but I don't think we have any FO's in the league currently that are dumb enough to give me what I'd want since NYG is set at RB. And honestly, if I'm a FO in the NFL right now, I'm never, ever, ever signing an RB to a big money 2nd contract. Look at how it's worked out for LAR, DAL, AZ, etc. It just doesn't work. I'd draft a guy, then draft his replacement the year before he walks, rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

My answer is that I'd absolutely be willing to trade Chubb but I don't think we have any FO's in the league currently that are dumb enough to give me what I'd want since NYG is set at RB. And honestly, if I'm a FO in the NFL right now, I'm never, ever, ever signing an RB to a big money 2nd contract. Look at how it's worked out for LAR, DAL, AZ, etc. It just doesn't work. I'd draft a guy, then draft his replacement the year before he walks, rinse and repeat.

I think you try to take advantage of a 5th year option if you’re able to as well.  Pair that with one franchise tag and you’ve got 6 years of control.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think you try to take advantage of a 5th year option if you’re able to as well.  Pair that with one franchise tag and you’ve got 6 years of control.

Truth. Except that I'm basically never spending a 1st round pick on a RB. So 5 years instead of 6, but yes, conceptually I'm totally on board with that.