XFL thoughts

AZBearsFan

Surprised nothing on this yet considering it’s the only football on TV right now. Probably doesn’t bode well for the league. 

My thoughts: 

-Talent level is CFL or lower

-I really like the openness of seeing what the reviewers see on booth reviews 

-Skill players getting plays in their ear directly from the coach like the QBs do in lieu of huddling and with a shortened play clock is innovative and I could easily see that making its way to the NFL. Increased game speed is a plus for scoring and would probably help young QBs transition to the field with the lessened burden on getting the play call verbiage out

-Sideline in-game interviews with players are still weird. Let those guys stay focused. Maybe interview players at halftime but that’s enough for me 

-Live betting lines is pretty cool 

-Not a lot of people at the games. 1/2 lower bowls are full and no shots showing the upper deck means absolutely nobody is sitting there. 

-Could see this becoming NFL Europe-like with the right television support, but the product isn’t good enough IMO to keep the interest of a US-based offense as NBA/NHL approach their stretch runs and spring training starts 

-Uniforms are by and large pretty legit

-Locker room access at halftime feels invasive and uncomfortable 

-Matt McGloin is still TRAAAAAAAAASH

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

At this point why not.

Look at a bunch of options.

Well Nagy and Pace are trying to save their jobs, so there's one reason. They guy is a 27 year old practice squad regular. If we are that desperate sign me up for Tebow, at least he will be able to work in the run game some, while being just as disappointing of a passer. 

As a practice squad guy you could do worse, but he is challenging for the 3rd spot at best on any NFL roster. Even Tru is a clearly better QB than him, why bother with an obvious downgrade? 

I'd rather roll with Tru and start fresh in 2021 with our top pick being a QB or just sign someone who can actually compete with him for the starting role this year.  Mariota, Keenum, etc. Hell give me Chase Daniel over Jones. 

34 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Well Nagy and Pace are trying to save their jobs, so there's one reason. They guy is a 27 year old practice squad regular. If we are that desperate sign me up for Tebow, at least he will be able to work in the run game some, while being just as disappointing of a passer. 

As a practice squad guy you could do worse, but he is challenging for the 3rd spot at best on any NFL roster. Even Tru is a clearly better QB than him, why bother with an obvious downgrade? 

I'd rather roll with Tru and start fresh in 2021 with our top pick being a QB or just sign someone who can actually compete with him for the starting role this year.  Mariota, Keenum, etc. Hell give me Chase Daniel over Jones. 

No one said bring him in to compete for the top job.

You have 90 offseason roster spots. Last season they used 3 on kickers.

Why not bring him in after the XFL season and let him throw the ball around mini camp? What is the downside?

Maybe he has improved? Maybe Nagy can work some magic? Maybe he throws the ball in shorts for a couple of months and you cut him?

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No one said bring him in to compete for the top job.

You have 90 offseason roster spots. Last season they used 3 on kickers.

Why not bring him in after the XFL season and let him throw the ball around mini camp? What is the downside?

Maybe he has improved? Maybe Nagy can work some magic? Maybe he throws the ball in shorts for a couple of months and you cut him?

Well those kickers WERE fighting for the top job,  so that's irrelevant. 

To me Jones is a guy who can't play NFL QB. He's Tebow minus religion and literacy.  If Nagy can't work magic with Tru he won't with Jones either. Nagy needs to just get someone to compete with Tru and move on next year if he can keep his job.

Honestly I'd feel better with Terrelle Pryor, Webb, or Taysom Hill at QB than Jones. At least they have been able to prove they can run vs NFL defenses. Bortles is a better QB than Jones ever will be, so is Matt Moore and a dozen others. 

If we are going to go on a prayer, give me an athletic rookie to hope Nagy and Flip can groom. Someone younger with more upside. Jones just does nothing for me 

35 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Well those kickers WERE fighting for the top job,  so that's irrelevant. 

To me Jones is a guy who can't play NFL QB. He's Tebow minus religion and literacy.  If Nagy can't work magic with Tru he won't with Jones either. Nagy needs to just get someone to compete with Tru and move on next year if he can keep his job.

Honestly I'd feel better with Terrelle Pryor, Webb, or Taysom Hill at QB than Jones. At least they have been able to prove they can run vs NFL defenses. Bortles is a better QB than Jones ever will be, so is Matt Moore and a dozen others. 

If we are going to go on a prayer, give me an athletic rookie to hope Nagy and Flip can groom. Someone younger with more upside. Jones just does nothing for me 

None of the guys mentioned come at a minimum deal that doesn’t count against the cap.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:39 PM, AZBearsFan said:

-Not a lot of people at the games. 1/2 lower bowls are full and no shots showing the upper deck means absolutely nobody is sitting there. 

Didn't watch as much this weekend as last...but the Guardians/Defenders game was pretty packed. (Relatively speaking). They aren't going to sell out a lot of those large venues in the first year, or maybe ever. And they know that. 

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To me Jones is a guy who can't play NFL QB. He's Tebow minus religion and literacy.  

Have you seen Tebow throw?

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Have you seen Tebow throw?

giphy.gif

Being a Gators fan I've seen a few of his games... lol 

Neither was developed in college and while Jones absolutely had a cannon they both hit at about the same rate... both suck at passing.   And Tebow was still a significantly better NFL QB. Jones having a decent game or two in a semi-pro league does nothing to sway me.