Sign in to follow this  
KingTitan

KingTitan Mock Off-Season

A good ol' fashion Mock Off-season. 
We all have gotten older and moved away from this practice. Well I have some time on my hands and I wanted dive back in...

Release:
Dion Lewis
Rework Contract:
Delaine Walker
Ryan Succup (Possible Release)
Cameron Wake (Potential release)

Free Agent Signing:
Ryan Tannehill 5 year-$124 Million ($24 Mill per year)
Reasoning:  I know they were prepared to resign Marcus if he would have put together just an average season. I think even if Tanny reverts to his Miami form, that is worth $24 million to the Titans. 

Derrick Henry 4 year- $50 Million ($12.5 Mill per year)
Reasoning: There aren't many men on the planet that can do what Derrick Henry can do. Has been a workhorse. Healthy. Team leader and excellent ambassador for the team. He has improved each year. He is in his prime. Contract should be structured where money isn't bad towards the end of the deal.

Dennis Kelly 3 year- $8 Million ($2.6 Million per year)
Reasoning: One of the best backup linemen in the league. Was making $1.5 million. Gets a raise. He will continue to be our 6th OL and possible bridge RT for a prospective draft pick. Is used on jumbo sets, which our offense uses often. 

Kyler Fackrell 3 year- $15 Million ($5 million per year)
Reasoning:  Before the "Smith Bros" signed in GB he had 10.5 sacks the previous season. He was pushed to back up/rotational status last year. He is 28 years old, even though it's 5 year in the league. 

Jordan Jenkins 5 year- $35 Million ($7 Million per year)
Reasoning: Jordan has his best season as a pro and has gotten better every year in the league. $35 Million might end up being too low of a projection. 8.5 sacks last season. The addition of him and Fackrell add some pass rushing juice to the line. 

Theo Riddick 2 year- $3.5 Million ($1.75 million per year)
Reasoning: A pass receiving threat for our offense. Cheaper version of what we asked Dion Lewis to do.

NFL Draft: (used the NFL Mock Draft Simulator TDN)
1st Round: 
Josh Jones- OT- Houston

Reasoning: With the signing of Kelly, Fackrell, Jeknins, there wasn't a unbelievable hole on the team. Each spot has a legit player that could start. Going best available Jones offered some of the same traits that made Conklin a high pick. Good feet movement, ability to get on the edge to reach block and good power. Needs some refinement but should be able to bully some people in our run focused offense. 

2nd Round:- AJ Terrell-CB-Clemson
Reasoning:  Trying to get faster in the secondary. Terrell's strength is Man-to Man.  Not sure how the defense will look. Malcom Butler returns to the secondary with Adoree Jackson hopefully taking the next step to Pro Bowl starter level of play. 

3rd Round: Jalen Hurts-QB-Oklahoma
Reasoning: I personally don't like Hurts. But I think we find a QB to build up. The Titans make Tanny a "franchise QB'" in this mock. We will need a relatively cheap backup with the money spent elsewhere. Hurts is a mature QB that has the skills to "not mess it up."  Make plays with his legs and play well off play action.  Best case he turns in to Tyrod Taylor like and we trade him after 2 years for a higher draft pick.

5th Round: Keyshawn Vaughn-RB- Vanderbilt
Reasoning: A back to compliment Henry. I was going to mock a higher picked RB, but with the Money they paying Henry, I don't see him coming off the field unless he needs a break. So sign a very cheap RB in FA that can play passing downs. I'd hope Vaughn is a quick learner.

6th Round- Jeff Thomas-WR-Miami
Reasoning: Speed and returns. I think Thomas has the skill to do both. Not going to be asked to more than that. He'd have to beat out Kalif Raymond.

7th Round: Robert Landers-DT-Ohio State
Reasoning: A body to compete and maybe stash on practice squad.

7th Round: Tipa Galea'i- EDGE-Utah State
Reasoning:  A player with some pass rushing skills. 

Decent all around, but I think the money is low across the board. 

I'd love if RT took a contact at 24 per, but the guaranteed portion of it is key here. If he flops, ala Foles, are we stuck with him year 2? If he doesn't flop but has serious regression, ala Goff, are we OK giving him year 2 of that contract and if the regression continues, are we safe to part ways after year 2 (Rams aren't with Goff). If that 2nd scenario happens, I wouldn't be surprised if we make some sorta move at qb next offseason to prepare for that (or would Hurts be ready to take over as early as mid way year 2 if needed and no later than year 3)

12.5 seems reasonable for Henry. I think the contract will be higher, but with most of it in later years and not guaranteed past year 2.

I saw somewhere that OTC has Kelly projected at 2/10M. I think some here have undervalued him. He was an obvious liability filling in for Lewan, but he's been good filling in for Conklin the past couple years. He's not at Conklin's level, but the drop off hasn't been that pronounced. 

Fackrell is my absolute ideal target at Edge, but in a Correa role... With obvious upside. I do agree we'd still need another player there, but I dont know much about Jenkins. They could make a nice 3 man rotation. If all we get is Fackrell, I'm still looking for an Edge highish in the draft. If we go for one of those 2nd tier FA edge guys (Fowler, Beasley, Dupree, Judon, maybe even Quinn, Golden, and maybe Jenkins?), we probably won't have a shot at Fackrell, as he'll want to go somewhere he'd have a better shot at starting or getting more snaps. 

I would love Terrell in the 2nd, but I think/hope we're also going to look for a bargain in FA here. Maybe someone like Fuller or Darby, both coming off not ideal seasons, but who've been good in the past and are still young. I mentioned Hargreaves before and while he's not an ideal guy in my eyes, our new dB coach worked with him last year (Roby and Joseph for that as well). There's a lot of guys available this offseason, and I think a good bargain with potential can be found. With a bargain and a rookie, we'd be a solid 4 deep, and in decent shape with Butlers potential cut next offseason. 

I haven't even looked at OTs but we probably will be looking high for one if/when we lose Conklin. I'd look at bringing in someone like Vaitai or even Robinson to compete with Kelly and not force us into a1st round tackle. Any combo of those doesn't keep us from drafting an OT high, but it gives us options. 

I see a lot of Titans fans mocking Hurts to us in the 3rd, but I just don't see us having the staff to develop a project QB. I'm looking at a decent vet backup here... Someone like Daniel or Glennon... But i'm intrigued by Sloter in a back up role. RT looked good last year, but his injury past kinda forces us into having a legit back up option. Hurts doesn't inspire confidence if he's needed next year. 

We have gotten old :( 

Nice FA. Keeping the offense together which I'm cool with. Not gonna lie idk anyone other than hurts in your draft lol. I just dont have time to dive into prospects like I used to probably doesn't help I can't watch college football like I did either lol. Nice change of pace from the 20 page Henry talk xD 

I agree with Rage, we’re probably getting discounts with those numbers, and Hurts would be a bad investment with the staff we have.

That said, I do expect us to draft a QB in that range, but not one who needs a lot of work at the position. More likely someone like James Morgan or a Nate Stanley who needs refinement but isn’t a total project.

I also think the third is a little rich for Hurts. Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Eason, and Love are all gonna gonway before him, and I will be honestly very surprised if it takes less than two full rounds for all of them to be off the board, and the dropoff from them to Hurts is pretty steep.

That said, if we had an off-season that resembles this, I will be pretty happy. I’m a big advocate of band-aiding every need before the draft so you can take the best players without screwing your team.

7 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

We have gotten old :( 

Nice FA. Keeping the offense together which I'm cool with. Not gonna lie idk anyone other than hurts in your draft lol. I just dont have time to dive into prospects like I used to probably doesn't help I can't watch college football like I did either lol. Nice change of pace from the 20 page Henry talk xD 

I'm not really familiar with all the guys either. There were names that came up with the draft simulator, then looking them up on Youtube. lol

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

I agree with Rage, we’re probably getting discounts with those numbers, and Hurts would be a bad investment with the staff we have.

That said, I do expect us to draft a QB in that range, but not one who needs a lot of work at the position. More likely someone like James Morgan or a Nate Stanley who needs refinement but isn’t a total project.

I also think the third is a little rich for Hurts. Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Eason, and Love are all gonna gonway before him, and I will be honestly very surprised if it takes less than two full rounds for all of them to be off the board, and the dropoff from them to Hurts is pretty steep.

That said, if we had an off-season that resembles this, I will be pretty happy. I’m a big advocate of band-aiding every need before the draft so you can take the best players without screwing your team.

I actually like Nate Stanley.  However is he enough to be trusted as a back up?  With Hurts at least he could run around to make a play. 
I think about what our offense is likely to look like. Bootlegs, rollouts and heavy play action. It takes a strong arm and someone that can move.

I'm not a salary expert so probably low, I thought it was going to be too high.

Would love that draft, but I agree with the others saying the numbers are low. To me, the Jimmy G contract is the floor for Tannehill, which is why I think franchising could be a better option.

Josh Jones and AJ Terrell are two of my favorite targets. I watched some Hurts trying to get into him, and honestly, I was expecting to feel the same way about him as I did when he was at Alabama. I think he's better than Jordan Love, who's somehow getting first round evals. Would take the absolutely right coaching staff to use Hurts though, but Arthur Smith showed quite a bit of ingenuity in getting us out of the predictable run-first offense we've seen for years. 

So far I'm doing ok. Lol

Got the 4 guys involved with cuts lol

Got Tannys money in the right zip code.