QB 2 in 2020?

brooks1957

We all know how important a QB 2 is to any team's success during a season. Probably in 90% of the cases that they are called into a game - it is in dire circumstances; the starter has just gone down due to injury. The team and fans, more than anything else, then look to QBs to provide a sense of calm. They need to be reassured that the sky is not falling. (See Sunshine's entry into the Remember the Titans movie.)

Our QB 2 from 2019 finished the year on injured reserve. At 35 plus, and now not having seen the field at all in the last couple of years, I would be stone faced shocked if Drew Stanton returned to the Browns in 2020.The much more realistic retention from 2019 is QB3 Garrett Gilbert. I would lobby hard, if I had a voice in the roster decision room, to keep Garrett. I also think it is NOT a luxury to keep 3 competent NFL QBs - it is a necessity.

Now keep in mind, that a QB2 will be on your team because he has some mild to severe flaws in his game. Without those flaws, he would be starting. So you tend to look for a veteran presence, one who had success in this league, knows how to prepare for the upcoming, and certainly won't be a problem in the locker room due to his QB2 status.

I think that Marcus Mariota would be a good fit here. All three of our QBs would have similar skill sets and fit into the offense that Coach Stefanski wants to run. It all comes down to Marcus' desire to play here versus other opportunities elsewhere and the money we want to give him. I also wonder if getting Marcus may be a positive if we would pursue his former team mate RT Jack Conklin.

http://www.nfl.com/player/marcusmariota/2552466/profile

33 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Where's the 🤬ing poll of 62 ovr Madden QB's, @brooks1957!? 😠😡😤

Also, I'd be good with Mariota they player but not so sure about Mariota the contract, as I can't see him getting less than $8 mil/yr for two years or so. 

Are there any 3rd day guys worth grabbing to go with Gilbert?

That, my friend, is probably the reason IRL why he does not come to the North Coast. Marcus may still think himself to be a starter, and will be tailoring his search for a new team accordingly. He has Baker in front of him here - and the Browns won't pay starter money (what he would be looking for) for a QB2

And BTW, I do not know what you are talking about as a "Madden Poll". My video game experience stopped way back in the day with Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo 8 bit machines.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

That, my friend, is probably the reason IRL why he does not come to the North Coast. Marcus may still think himself to be a starter, and will be tailoring his search for a new team accordingly. He has Baker in front of him here - and the Browns won't pay starter money (what he would be looking for) for a QB2

Here on the beach in California near the Oregon border, this area is also called the North Coast: fun fact.

And yeah, it would be a decent signing but agree that it's unlikely.

And BTW, I do not know what you are talking about as a "Madden Poll". My video game experience stopped way back in the day with Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo 8 bit machines.

Ovr = overall rating. The implication was that we are all going to be discussing (or voting between, in this case) mediocre/worse-than-mediocre options as far as QB quality to be backup.

I'll go with what has been mentioned before by others in that I'd like my QB2 to be a good culture guy, maybe even a guy in that McCown mentor/QB coach type for Baker.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

Found this list on Sportac of the available FA QBs for 2020.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

If our design is to go after the "veteran who is really a coach in waiting but can still play" type - my choice that would fit on our team and in our budget would be Matt Moore, followed by Chad Henne and Colt McCoy. Stay away from Mike Glennon, Blake Bortles and Matt Schaub.

If they go after a "younger guy with still room to grow" type - my top choice is Nick Mullens in SF. I also would entertain thoughts of Kyle Allen (but I bet he is the Panthers' starter in 2020), Trevor Simian or Cooper Rush.

The one on this list most commonly linked to the Browns is Case Keenum, certainly because of his Vikings season with Coach Stefanski. I think he falls into the aforementioned boat with Marcus Mariota. Still looking for a starter's job and pay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horseunit said:

My vote for backup QB.

Image result for key and peele football names

backup to the backup

Image result for key and peele football names

You're an idiot. Hingle McGringleberry is a tight end. Why would we move him to QB?

And D'Pez Poopsie doesn't have a strong enough arm. I love his athleticism and his ability to read the entire field, but he doesn't seem like the kind of dude that Odell and Landry would thrive with. Maybe we could use him as a gadget player though?

51 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Keenum is the very best choice.  Journeyman that should come cheap, has had success with our HC, should have no problem accepting a backup role.  Could be a better mentor for Baker than Stanton was given his prior success with our new HC.

He's gonna get more money than Mariota.

8 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

He's gonna get more money than Mariota.

Marietta doesn’t bring any of the benefits that I mentioned to the table.   He needs to go to a team such as whichever one signs Rivers.  He is still young and physically gifted, and is a good reclamation project to sit behind a bet that is long in the tooth for a year or 2 and learn.

• Like 1