QB 2 in 2020?

brooks1957

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’d like Mariota. Professional and unbelievable teammate who will embrace his role and push Baker on the field and in the film room. 

How much is Baker actually going to respect and take pointers from Marcus Mariota though? I think an older, more established guy, if he is out there, would be the most effective in that regard. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

How much is Baker actually going to respect and take pointers from Marcus Mariota though? I think an older, more established guy, if he is out there, would be the most effective in that regard. 

As much as he’s respected or taken pointers from anyone else tbh.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Also, from what I've heard, Marcus Mariota is one of the dumbest players in the NFL. Hard worker, but legitimately dumb. I doubt Baker would learn much from him.

Mariota needs to go to a team like Baltimore and backup Lamar. He's not an ideal backup for Baker.

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, no one has ever said he’s uncoachable or a bad teammate.

Not even sure what you’re basing that opinion on tbh.

I’m not saying he is. I think Baker “learning” from a veteran is largely overrated. I want someone to push him, motivate him, make him up his game, and a security policy just in case. That’s all honestly.

• Like 1

Reminds me of an anecdote I heard about Tom Moore, former Indianapolis Offensive Coordinator when Manning was there.

Someone asked him why the backup never gets reps in practice. He said, "If 18 goes down, we're ****ed. And we don't practice ****ed".

Given that, I choose Keenum for all the things he can do for Baker off the field.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Reminds me of an anecdote I heard about Tom Moore, former Indianapolis Offensive Coordinator when Manning was there.

Someone asked him why the backup never gets reps in practice. He said, "If 18 goes down, we're ****ed. And we don't practice ****ed".

Given that, I choose Keenum for all the things he can do for Baker off the field.

Yup. Pretty much spot-on. I know we were freaking out about a backup QB,, but 99% of teams ever are doomed if their starter goes down.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yup. Pretty much spot-on. I know we were freaking out about a backup QB,, but 99% of teams ever are doomed if their starter goes down.

It’s not really about having a backup plan if Baker goes down so much as having some actual competition for him.

Maybe there were a number of things outside of Baker’s control last season, but he didn’t come in looking sharp and looked pudgy, etc.

Imo he’s a young guy who needs to be pushed right now.  Hopefully that won’t always be the case.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I think we both know why...

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m not saying he is. I think Baker “learning” from a veteran is largely overrated. I want someone to push him, motivate him, make him up his game, and a security policy just in case. That’s all honestly.

Realistically how much did Baker "learn" from Drew Stanton? In many cases, we all see guys like Favre, Brady, Manning and Manning, and others go on down the list saying that they won't "mentor/go out of their way to teach" other young QB's. Sure, Stanton is a "know your role" veteran QB brought in to keep this thing up and running, but he's not going to automatically have Baker's respect and sit there with a laser pointer during film sessions and wow him on things he doesn't know, captivating an insatiable appetite for film and defensive digestion.

That myth is WAY overblown IMO.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Realistically how much did Baker "learn" from Drew Stanton? In many cases, we all see guys like Favre, Brady, Manning and Manning, and others go on down the list saying that they won't "mentor/go out of their way to teach" other young QB's. Sure, Stanton is a "know your role" veteran QB brought in to keep this thing up and running, but he's not going to automatically have Baker's respect and sit there with a laser pointer during film sessions and wow him on things he doesn't know, captivating an insatiable appetite for film and defensive digestion.

That myth is WAY overblown IMO.

I was actually quoting mistakey from another thread and in this case implying that you had something against people born in Hawaii (like Mariota and Tayne), that you think you're better than us.

Edited by NudeTayne
Point still stands.