31 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you picking?

• Mekhi Becton
    • Andrew Thomas
    • Jedrick Wills
    • Tristan Wirfs
    • The Field (Specify)

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Wills just does not seem like the elite athlete I keep hearing he is. He’s technically sound and does a great job in pass pro, but I don’t see him dominate on any reps. He reminds me of Mitchell Schwartz when he was in Cleveland. Not giving up pressures, but not creating big holes in the run game either. Just kind of does his job adequately. That’s fine, but I like dudes that can ruin your face in the run game. 

For as good as our OL was in pass pro when we had Thomas/Bitonio/Mack/Greco/Schwartz, we sacrificed a lot in the run game. I’d take that line back in a heartbeat, but I always thought we should have prioritized being a more physical bunch rather than a finesse bunch.

Agreed about Wills. Every time I’ve watched him play he seems disinterested. I think he has the physical ability, I just think he doesn’t care, all the time. 

Obviously we still have the combine ahead of us, but for now, the only offensive tackle prospect that feels like he will inevitably go before 10 is Wills.

Personally:

1a. Wirfs

1b. Thomas

3. Becton

4. Niang

5. Josh Jones

6. Prince Tega Wanhogo

After Thomas/Wirfs, I think there's a drop-off for any other LT prospects, but Niang does intrigue me. I'm not sure he has the value at 10, but coming off that injury, I think he could legitimately go top 20 come draft day. Jones and Prince are definitely more developmental guys that I wouldn't feel as comfortable throwing to the wolves, but would have to feel good developing them under Bill Callahan

Edited by MistaBohmbastic
Juwanna Mann
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Obviously we still have the combine ahead of us, but for now, the only offensive tackle prospect that feels like he will inevitably go before 10 is Wills.

Personally:

1a. Wirfs

1b. Thomas

3. Becton

4. Niang

5. Josh Jones

6. Prince Tega Wanhogo

After Thomas/Wirfs, I think there's a drop-off for any other LT prospects, but Niang does intrigue me. I'm not sure he has the value at 10, but coming off that injury, I think he could legitimately go top 20 come draft day. Jones and Prince are definitely more developmental guys that I wouldn't feel as comfortable throwing to the wolves, but would have to feel good developing them under Bill Callahan

Yeah, I'm back to wanting Wirfs and Thomas more than Wills again 🤷‍♂️. 

17 hours ago, buno67 said:

Everything I read on him is that they believe he will be just fine as a LT. With some projecting him as being the best LT. It’s just a great draft for tackles. 

Well I look at it like this, I think all the top 4 OT’s can play LT, let me start by saying that. I rank OLineman on these characteristics Strength, Speed, Agility, Quickness, Run Blocking, Pass Blocking, Technique and *Special traits. If I look at the top 4 (with scores 1-4 ranking #1 - #4 best to worst traits in the top 4) I compute them like this.

Andrew Thomas: St: 2, Sp: 2, Agil: 3 Q: 2, Rb: 2, Pb: 1, Tech: 1, Special Traits: Experience and Work Ethic (not saying the others don’t have it but saying this is something mentioned by his pedigree). Most Pro Ready

Tristin Wirffs: St: 3, Sp: 1, Agil: 2 Q: 1, Rb: 3, Pb: 4, Tech: 3, Special Traits: Rare Movement skills (ZBS and Screens)

Jedrick Wills: St: 1, Sp: 4, Agil: 4 Q: 4, Rb: 1, Pb: 2, Tech: 2, Special Traits: Nasty Mean Streak

Mekhi Becton: St: 4, Sp: 3, Agil: 1 Q: 3, Rb: 4, Pb: 3, Tech: 4, Special Traits: Physical Freak Size

When I grade these out, I see Jedrick Wills as a better RT than LT, reminds me of Jake Long that the Dolphins draft #1 a while back. He was a VERY good LT for many years and made 4 pro bowls and 1 all pro selection…I think he could have been an 6-7 time All Pro RT with 8-9 pro bowls had he played there. And I see Jedrick Wills that way. Wirrfs has rare speed and quickness for a man his size, and Bekton has uncanny Agility to go along with Physical Freak Size. I have had Andrew Thomas as my #1 and I don’t see that changing honestly. He has the best mix of all the traits and is the best Technician from what I’ve seen….and as a Browns fan, the last time we took an OT in the Top 10 named Thomas…it worked out Hella’Well

9 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Well I look at it like this, I think all the top 4 OT’s can play LT, let me start by saying that. I rank OLineman on these characteristics Strength, Speed, Agility, Quickness, Run Blocking, Pass Blocking, Technique and *Special traits. If I look at the top 4 (with scores 1-4 ranking #1 - #4 best to worst traits in the top 4) I compute them like this.

I agree that all 4 OT's can play LT. I think all 4 will play LT.

Andrew Thomas: St: 2, Sp: 2, Agil: 3 Q: 2, Rb: 2, Pb: 1, Tech: 1, Special Traits: Experience and Work Ethic (not saying the others don’t have it but saying this is something mentioned by his pedigree). Most Pro Ready

I think he's the special in terms of mirroring speed rushers. I don't think I've seen him get beat once with speed around the corner.

Tristin Wirffs: St: 3, Sp: 1, Agil: 2 Q: 1, Rb: 3, Pb: 4, Tech: 3, Special Traits: Rare Movement skills (ZBS and Screens)

Agree he'd be an excellent fit in a ZBS.

Jedrick Wills: St: 1, Sp: 4, Agil: 4 Q: 4, Rb: 1, Pb: 2, Tech: 2, Special Traits: Nasty Mean Streak

I think he's an unbelievable technician, but doesn't really dominate at the point of attack in the run game like he should. He position blocks too often for my liking. Especially when he has killshot blocks (down blocks, space blocks on LB's, DB"s).

Mekhi Becton: St: 4, Sp: 3, Agil: 1 Q: 3, Rb: 4, Pb: 3, Tech: 4, Special Traits: Physical Freak Size

Yup.

When I grade these out, I see Jedrick Wills as a better RT than LT, reminds me of Jake Long that the Dolphins draft #1 a while back. He was a VERY good LT for many years and made 4 pro bowls and 1 all pro selection…I think he could have been an 6-7 time All Pro RT with 8-9 pro bowls had he played there. And I see Jedrick Wills that way. Wirrfs has rare speed and quickness for a man his size, and Bekton has uncanny Agility to go along with Physical Freak Size. I have had Andrew Thomas as my #1 and I don’t see that changing honestly. He has the best mix of all the traits and is the best Technician from what I’ve seen….and as a Browns fan, the last time we took an OT in the Top 10 named Thomas…it worked out Hella’Well

I like Thomas too. The more the process has gone along, I'm left thinking that Thomas does best what a LT should do: protect the blind side of the QB. He's got sloppy feet in the run game and gets a little out of control trying to maul, but that can be honed in. He needs no work in pass protection, which is insane to say for a LT prospect coming out of college these days. Those kinds of guys don't come along hardly ever nowadays.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 2:01 PM, brownie man said:

Give me Wills he reminds me of Lane Johnson 

so smooth but I think he can play left side no problem 

Really? He has excellent pass blocking technique, but he's not at all like Lane Johnson athletically, if you ask me. He's slow-footed and doesn't play with a mean streak.

Wills would be a good pick...as would any of these guys. But I don't know if I'd say he's a Lane Johnson type of player. Lane is a legit freak.

I'd say Wirfs/Becton are 1a/1b for me, then Wills, then Thomas. But I really like all four, it's splitting hairs and who is best in 4-5 years will probably largely depend upon coaching, health luck, and intangibles that we can't fully gauge. It's a good year to need an OT, which is super lucky for us, because Jeeeeeeez do we need tackles.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'd say Wirfs/Becton are 1a/1b for me, then Wills, then Thomas. But I really like all four, it's splitting hairs and who is best in 4-5 years will probably largely depend upon coaching, health luck, and intangibles that we can't fully gauge. It's a good year to need an OT, which is super lucky for us, because Jeeeeeeez do we need tackles.

Being that you love all four, how far would to trade down from 10--Becton/Wirfs/Thomas available--if you had a market value offer of compensation? Pick 14?

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Being that you love all four, how far would to trade down from 10--Becton/Wirfs/Thomas available--if you had a market value offer of compensation? Pick 14?

Pretty much. We HAVE to come out of the draft with one of those guys, barring a trade or really unexpected FA splurge. So if three are available at 10, and I have all of them graded equally, I'm not moving down more than 3-4 spots. That's me personally. If I absolutely loved a bunch of the tier 2 tackles I might feel differently. But while I DO like a lot of the 2nd/3rd round guys, I feel like that top four is a solid tier and I want one of them.

To specify why I have them as I do (knowing I like all of them), I feel like Wills' effort is often meh, that Thomas seems like a jack of all trades master of none. Those are the only "knocks" that make me elevate Becton (truly special size/speed combo) and Wirfs (pulling and outside zone ability).

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Pretty much. We HAVE to come out of the draft with one of those guys, barring a trade or really unexpected FA splurge. So if three are available at 10, and I have all of them graded equally, I'm not moving down more than 3-4 spots. That's me personally. If I absolutely loved a bunch of the tier 2 tackles I might feel differently. But while I DO like a lot of the 2nd/3rd round guys, I feel like that top four is a solid tier and I want one of them.

To specify why I have them as I do (knowing I like all of them), I feel like Wills' effort is often meh, that Thomas seems like a jack of all trades master of none. Those are the only "knocks" that make me elevate Becton (truly special size/speed combo) and Wirfs (pulling and outside zone ability).

You don’t think Thomas is an elite pass blocker?