What Super Bowl do you consider to be the ultimate clash of titans?

Bolts223

20 hours ago, scar988 said:

Yup. That's what we'll always remember too. That and the Devonta Freeman missed block. The missed facemask against the patriots on that drive against Mohamed Sanu. OH, and the Julian Edelman "catch" that dropped off of Robert Alford's hands on a 4th down.

My Vikings have had some brutal endings over the years, one of which was at the hands of the Falcons, but that Super Bowl you guys lost had to be harder than any game we've ever been through as fans.  Sorry Scar.  :(

Falcons haven’t recovered from that monumental collapse.

I really liked the Saints vs Colts. Nothing really historic but seeing Brees and Peyton on the same fields was entertaining. At least the lead up to the game not the actual match. best Matchup overall Seahawks vs pats.

Edited by The Third Rider

1 minute ago, The Third Rider said:

Falcons haven’t recovered from that monumental collapse.

I really liked the Saints vs Colts. Nothing really historic but seeing Brees and Peyton on the same fields was entertaining. At least the lead up to the game not the actual match. best Matchup overall Seahawks vs pats.

Considering how different the Falcons are going to be in 2020 from that 2016 team... The only remaining guys from the 2016 SB collapse:

QB Matt Ryan

QB Matt Schaub (If he doesn't retire or get cut)

RB Devonta Freeman (If the Falcons don't Cut him)

WR Julio Jones

WR Justin Hardy  (If the Falcons re-sign him)

TE Austin Hooper (If the Falcons re-sign him)

OG/C Wes Schweitzer (If the Falcons re-sign him)

LT Jake Matthews

C Alex Mack

DT Grady Jarrett

DL Adrian Clayborn (If the Falcons re-sign him)

LB Deion Jones

LB Kemal Ishmael (If the Falcons re-sign him)

CB Desmond Trufant (but was on IR for that game)

CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson (If the Falcons re-sign him)

S Keanu Neal

S Ricardo Allen

So basically the Falcons have 17 of the 53 guys who were on the roster projected to possibly be on their roster in 2020. It could be as low as 9 of those 53. IT's a completely different team at this point. 17-33% of the roster will be all that's left with a high likelihood if it being closer to 25% than 33%

17 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

My Vikings have had some brutal endings over the years, one of which was at the hands of the Falcons, but that Super Bowl you guys lost had to be harder than any game we've ever been through as fans.  Sorry Scar.  :(

Trust me. 1998 for Vikings fans is nothing like sB51 was for Falcons fans.

Just now, scar988 said:

Trust me. 1998 for Vikings fans is nothing like sB51 was for Falcons fans.

I can believe that.  We should have won it all in '98, but you guys were so close it has to make it so much worse.  I'll never forget that night.  I didn't see the game because I was working my job as a city bus driver.  I talked to my Dad on the phone about halfway through the 3rd quarter and the Falcons were up by a "yuge" margin.  The only way I could keep up on how the game was going was by looking into the big screen tv's as I drove by sports bars.  At one point, things were looking good for Atlanta.  Then, a while later, I drove by a place where I was able to look in and see Brady and Belichick hugging.  I just figured it had to be a highlight from one of their previous Super Bowl wins and the talking heads were talking about how the Falcons may have just ended their dynasty.  I was stunned when I heard a few minutes later from a passenger that the Patriots came back and won.  Unbelieveable.  I still haven't watched the game.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I can believe that.  We should have won it all in '98, but you guys were so close it has to make it so much worse.  I'll never forget that night.  I didn't see the game because I was working my job as a city bus driver.  I talked to my Dad on the phone about halfway through the 3rd quarter and the Falcons were up by a "yuge" margin.  The only way I could keep up on how the game was going was by looking into the big screen tv's as I drove by sports bars.  At one point, things were looking good for Atlanta.  Then, a while later, I drove by a place where I was able to look in and see Brady and Belichick hugging.  I just figured it had to be a highlight from one of their previous Super Bowl wins and the talking heads were talking about how the Falcons may have just ended their dynasty.  I was stunned when I heard a few minutes later from a passenger that the Patriots came back and won.  Unbelieveable.  I still haven't watched the game.

I haven't watched the game since that day. I've only felt sadder one day in my life... when my grandmother died.

• Like 1

I'm going to guess I'm the outlier for a lot of Falcons fans, but Vick going to prison hit me much harder than the Super Bowl loss did. I can go back rewatch the Super Bowl and it doesn't bother me. The Falcons blowing games they should win is something I'm just kind of used to, it doesn't hit me emotionally (or maybe I'm just kind of jaded, either one works). I can bring up a bunch of times the Falcons have blown games they had no business giving away, and those games tend to just blur together after a while. I have a hard time rewatching Vick era Falcons games knowing what follows - Vick going to prison was the point that I honestly considered quitting watching football (the 2007 season was a serious low-point of my motivation for watching football).

I know it sounds bizarre to say, but that Super Bowl loss is like, just another game to me. I'm kind of over it. Maybe I've been watching the Falcons for too long.

On 2/18/2020 at 8:09 AM, HoboRocket said:

2015-16 Cardinals-Panthers NFC Championship Game. Yeah, I know it's not a Super Bowl. Has there ever been another game with a 14-2 juggernaut going up against a 15-1 juggernaut?

2004 Patriots 14-2 on the road against the 2004 Steelers is the only to pop to mind. Ironically both games ended up in blowouts. 

Pats/Eagles in 2004 was a big one. The Eagles offense was a machine and TO was virtually unstoppable that season. His injury complicated things and I think took some of the shine off the buildup but it didn't stop him from balling out in the Super Bowl itself. On the other end you had the OG Pats defensive machine - McGinest, Bruschi, Ty Law, Seymour, Rodney Harrison, Vrabel, etc. - that lived to torment Peyton and a Brady-led offense that got a huge boost from Corey Dillon that year. Their only losses that season were their customary weird divisional loss to Miami and to a 15-1 Pittsburgh team that they ended up avenging in the playoffs. 

Unfortunately that Super Bowl is mostly remembered for Andy Reid's clock management and Donovan McNabb freezing up but those were two really excellent teams going at it. 

• Like 1

98 Broncos vs Packers. That was one of my first superbowl I remember watching. Those two teams were both great, defending superbowl champs vs Elway and the 13-3 broncos.

Two HoF QBs, and a close game the whole way. Loved it

On 2/17/2020 at 2:56 PM, scar988 said:

Yup. That's what we'll always remember too. That and the Devonta Freeman missed block. The missed facemask against the patriots on that drive against Mohamed Sanu. OH, and the Julian Edelman "catch" that dropped off of Robert Alford's hands on a 4th down.

Would a face mask vs a face mask + holding = replay down? Serious question

On 2/17/2020 at 3:59 AM, Bolts223 said:

As in a Super Bowl where you think both teams are insanely good even by SB standards?

For me there are a few that come to mind:

• Super Bowl 13: Steelers vs Cowboys
  • Super Bowl 19: 49ers vs Dolphins
  • Super Bowl 49: Patriots vs Seahawks

Any others that come to mind?

I like your choices. 1997 Packers and Broncos had two teams that looked like they really did belong there. Two very well-rounded units. The game of course went down to the wire. 

Edited by PapaShogun