Starting from their rookie years, who would you rather build around as your QB: Cam Newton or Philip Rivers?

ClutchDJ

4 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Just throwing this out there: Cam Newton's top WR's over the course of his career: 

1. 32-34 year old Steve Smith

2. Kelvin Benjamin (out of the NFL)

3. Ted Ginn (just wow)

4. Brandon LaFell

5. Devin Funchess

Wasted his youth with junk.

• Like 1

If I'm building a team from scratch, like an expansion team build - I'm probably going to go with Cam. Let him redshirt his first year behind an expansion OL and build the entire team around his skillset - bring him along slowly, bring in pieces along the OL and WRs who could grow with him. It would take a while, but that team would probably be dominant on offense pretty quickly.

If I had a team that was a QB away from competing, I go Rivers. He's refined to the point of completion, his game isn't really going to improve - but it doesn't need to improve. He'll take the offense I have and make it perform to it's maximum for the most part.

• Like 1

They both have roughly the same win percentage (both in the regular and post seasons) which is kind of ridiculous considering the stacked teams Rivers has led.

I think it’s impossible to deny that Cam has received more scrutiny for his play. Rivers has led his team to an 8-8 or worse record in 5 of his 14 seasons as a starter. He’s thrown 20 or more interceptions in 3 different seasons. He’s accounted for 20+ overall turnovers in 6 different seasons. Cam Newton, despite playing in about half as fewer seasons, has TWO seasons with more total TDs than Rivers has scored in a season.

Despite this Rivers always seems to be regarded as a tragically underrated QB while Cam is some petulant, underserving figure. Rivers has been a liability for his teams far more often than is ever acknowledged. Cam is the type of QB who will evade a sure sack on the game winning drive to set up a win. Rivers is the type of QB who will convert 3 4th downs on a potential game winning drive before throwing 4 incompletions on the goal line.

Give me Cam, needless to say. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

If I'm building a team from scratch, like an expansion team build - I'm probably going to go with Cam. Let him redshirt his first year behind an expansion OL and build the entire team around his skillset - bring him along slowly, bring in pieces along the OL and WRs who could grow with him. It would take a while, but that team would probably be dominant on offense pretty quickly.

If I had a team that was a QB away from competing, I go Rivers. He's refined to the point of completion, his game isn't really going to improve - but it doesn't need to improve. He'll take the offense I have and make it perform to it's maximum for the most part.

Hits every nail that I would’ve hit. Completely agree.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Danger said:

Cam Newton might be better if you had someone like Andy Reid as your coach who can polish any QB like no other. Other than that, I don't think there's much of an argument for Cam frankly.

Anc pretty much hit the nail right on the head honestly.