Thoughts on the Pac-12?

naptownskinsfan

On 2/17/2020 at 1:58 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They're missing the personalities you need to make CFB interesting. If only there was a morbidly obese degenerate they could stick in Colorado to just ham it up with the co-eds and get messed up on a regular basis all while looking like a human garbage can.

They had Leach. That's enough personality for several teams and it still didn't help.

Boise State and Houston are more likely to join the Big 12. And they may not be the only ones to do so. If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State leave for the SEC (a better geographic fit for them than the Pac-12), possibly as a condition of the SEC's next TV deal, the Big 12 might only survive if they become a 16-team super-league, adding Boise State, BYU, Houston, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple and UCF.

The Pac-12 is fine as it is membership-wise. But I have a feeling their monopoly on Western P5 football will end by the end of the decade with the Big 12's aforementioned addition of Boise State and BYU.

Right now, Stanford and USC in the next four years are going to end their seasons against BYU in years they don't end against Notre Dame. My realignment projections would include Air Force leaving the MWC for non-football membership in the Patriot League (to be with Army and Navy, geography be damned), with becoming an FBS indie in football.

After that, California would end their seasons against Air Force in a continuous home-and-home series, while Stanford and USC would trade off playing Notre Dame and and UCLA to end the season. The regional rivalry games in Arizona, the Rocky Mountain States, Oregon, and Washington would continue to be a part of the Pac-12's Thanksgiving week schedule.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pf9 said:

Boise State and Houston are more likely to join the Big 12. And they may not be the only ones to do so. If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State leave for the SEC (a better geographic fit for them than the Pac-12), possibly as a condition of the SEC's next TV deal, the Big 12 might only survive if they become a 16-team super-league, adding Boise State, BYU, Houston, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple and UCF.

The Pac-12 is fine as it is membership-wise. But I have a feeling their monopoly on Western P5 football will end by the end of the decade with the Big 12's aforementioned addition of Boise State and BYU.

Right now, Stanford and USC in the next four years are going to end their seasons against BYU in years they don't end against Notre Dame. My realignment projections would include Air Force leaving the MWC for non-football membership in the Patriot League (to be with Army and Navy, geography be damned), with becoming an FBS indie in football.

After that, California would end their seasons against Air Force in a continuous home-and-home series, while Stanford and USC would trade off playing Notre Dame and and UCLA to end the season. The regional rivalry games in Arizona, the Rocky Mountain States, Oregon, and Washington would continue to be a part of the Pac-12's Thanksgiving week schedule.

The Big Ten has said it plans to go after both OU and Texas really intensely in 2024-2025, will be interesting to see if any of those teams leaves the conference, and if so where they go. SEC is not better "geographically" for OU/OSU than the Big XII. Financially? Yeah absolutely.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:31 PM, Danger said:

And I have my serious doubts that OU-Texas breakup. Who blinks first.

Even if they do, their game is an important part of the Texas State Fair festivities, and so, they'd have to shuffle future non-conference schedules to accommodate the game.

Boise adds nothing but I think we need to start stealing some schools in Texas. We need to break into those markets. Also, Larry Scott and his handling of the Pac-12 network hasn't been great. 

One of the things that hurts the conference the most on a national scale is the fact that we play 9 conference games. Many conferences (including the SEC) only play 8 conference games. That adds extra losses to the conference every year. We either need to make the NCAA force all conferences to play 9 conference games (my preference) or The Pac-12 needs to make changes to only play 8 conference games.

Edited by Oregon Ducks
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 4:09 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

Boise adds nothing but I think we need to start stealing some schools in Texas. We need to break into those markets. Also, Larry Scott and his handling of the Pac-12 network hasn't been great. 

One of the things that hurts the conference the most on a national scale is the fact that we play 9 conference games. Many conferences (including the SEC) only play 8 conference games. That adds extra losses to the conference every year. We either need to make the NCAA force all conferences to play 9 conference games (my preference) or The Pac-12 needs to make changes to only play 8 conference games.

Great points on the network and OOC scheduling.  

I don't think Boise adds nothing, but certainly not what some people will think.  Part of the appeal of Boise is that they are in a smaller conference and can dominate there.  Heading into a conference like the Pac-12, and you take away a major reason for some recruits to come there.  

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:09 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

Yeah, Boise doesn't meet any of the Pac's criteria. San Diego State and Colorado State makes more sense if they feel like they need more teams. The pipe dream would be adding Texas, Oklahoma, and their hanger-on's (Okie and Tech/Baylor?) but I don't think that is feasible. The Pac Committee would definitely not genuflect and prostrate to the Longhorn's every whim. 

Houston+Baylor and SDSU+CSU OR Fresno St would be a more realistic add. 

Although status quo, and freeing up a conference for Non-Con probably makes the MOST sense. 

• Like 1