WHAT IS YOUR MAX. COMPENSATION FOR #3?

Karnage84

On 20/02/2020 at 12:04 PM, Swampbilly said:

I really see Detroit AND Washington in tight spots if they want to trade back and stay in the top 10.  If Tua wouldn't have had the hip dislocation then that wouldn't be the case, but it is what it is.  We are in a great spot sitting at #5 with plenty of Draft Capitol in 2020.  The Lion's best option is going to be getting picks 5 and 39, of course they will demand more, but I truly believe we are their best scenario with 5 and 39, maybe we sweeten the pot with a 5th or 6th but I don't see Grier moving on from both 2nd's.  If an unforeseen team does trade up to #2 for Tua then we take Chase Young at #3 and it's on to 2021 for Lawrence or Fields.

Grier has done pretty well since T-Bum's exit, and I predict he keeps working his mojo in this draft.

Unpopular take but I would rather Herbert this year than Fields next.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:30 AM, mountainpd said:

Unpopular take but I would rather Herbert this year than Fields next.

I’m OK with Herbert if Tua is off the board.  Nevertheless I would much rather have Fields next year than drastically overpay to move up 2 spots to draft a QB that, barring injury, is going to sit a season behind Fitz ( be it Tua or Herbert ).  Tua will sit for medical reasons, and Herbert will sit most of the season because of his decision making.

If Tua is cleared medically on March 9th then I think we trade up with the Lion’s because the Redskins will expect too much compensation.  I don’t think any top 10 team will pay multiple first round picks to move up for Tua, because even if he is cleared that doesn’t mean his injury’s aren’t going to be chronic, the hip injury will be chronic IMO.  It may not be reported every week but it will affect his play to some degree.  I think teams pretty much believe this and aren’t going to throw all their eggs into the Tua basket......A second rounder, and maybe a late rounder to move up 2 spots is more than fair for a player with above average injury risks.

What coach/GM/scout on the Dolphins staff gives you the confidence MIami has the right people in place to make this decision?  It's a crap shoot in my opinion.

I am extremely worried that Grier is in over his head with this pick.  I will say in most situations, I am a bigger fan of a coaching staffs ability to develop a player than I am of the player himself.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love?  Doesn't matter.  Its whether or not the staff can develop them.  They didn't do much with Rosen... at all.  

Josh Rosen was graded a 6.7 (Quality Year 1 Starter) by NFL.com.

Thats higher than Herbert (6.45) and Love (6.3).  Tua isn't graded out much higher (6.8).  

Some other notables....

Patrick Mahomes (6.3)

Deshaun Watson (5.98)

Jared Goff (6.5)

Carson Wentz (6.53)

If you're not getting my point, The Miami Dolphins have a guy on their roster right now, who is 23 years old, and is a top 5 rated QB in the last 5 NFL Drafts!!!!  And they couldn't develop him!!!

Only guys with a higher rating are Sam Darnold, Joe Borrow, Tua and Kyler Murray.  

Miami should trade their second 2nd round pick (NO) to Oak for Derek Carr and the 20th pick overall.  Carr would be perfect for Miami.  Cheap, younger veteran that's accurate.  Miami shoudn't try to develop anyone. This would give Miami 5 picks in the first 39.  You can build on that.

18 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

Miami should trade their second 2nd round pick (NO) to Oak for Derek Carr and the 20th pick overall.  Carr would be perfect for Miami.  Cheap, younger veteran that's accurate.  Miami shoudn't try to develop anyone. This would give Miami 5 picks in the first 39.  You can build on that.

You had me until this part LOL!!  Why would Oakland pay us to take Carr?  He isn't a big salary hit for them if they decide to move on from him, so why would they give us a 1st round pick for our 2nd?  That certainly isn't going to happen.

As for Rosen, I agree ( somewhat ).  It could be that moving on from last years OC and bringing in Chan Gailey is partly because of the ineffectiveness of Rosen in the complicated Offensive scheme we ran last season.  I say partly, because I'm sure that bringing in Gailey has a lot to do with Fitz and the possible drafting of Tua.  I say Fitz because of the great year he had under Gailey in NY and Tua because Gailey loves to run RPO's and Tua has done extremely well running them at 'Bama.

Additionally, if we do draft Tua, then I expect us to try to trade him for a 2nd rounder or possibly a 3rd and a 5th or something in that ballpark.  I do believe the cost most teams will be willing to pay for Rosen, after us drafting a QB in the top 5, will plummet.  Although something like the Rams giving us Gurley and a 2nd round pick ( so they can make cap room ) for Rosen could  benefit both teams.