2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Offensive Line

KC_Guy

An Overview:

Well, as so many other units, the OL improved throughout the season. But nevertheless, it left something to be desired even during the big game. Injuries and constant change in the lineup early in the season may have contributed a bit, but Mahomes, while being good at it, had to improvise way to much for my liking. Even when asking for the "wasp" he wasn't sure the line could provide him enough time to get it done - just watch him talk to Bienemy in the "Mic'd Up" video. And had he held to the ball a tenth of a second longer - that pass had gone nowhere. So this unit will require some work.

The Players:

There probably is no doubt about the OT: Fisher and Schwartz will be back. Fisher never really lived up to his draft status, but that draft was exceptionally weak at the top.But he still is a servicable LT. For Schwartz: Quite honestly, I have no clue why he makes the All Pro Team year after year but is not selected to the Pro Ball. Weird. He definitely is one of the best RT in the League. However, both are getting up there in age, are on big contracts - so it might be prudent to look for a successor for at least one of them this year if the opportunity arises. Groom a young one for a year or two, then go from there.

The inside OL is a different story. LG is wide open. Both Wiley (for some reason I never really liked him, don't ask me why) and Wisniewski are free agents. Erving was replaced as the #1 backup when Wisniewski was brought to the roster. And I think that was the right decision. Even at his age, Wisniewski delivered. Whether Erving will be back remains to be seen.

At C some people claim Reiter improved his play significantly over the season - in my opinion he still is the weak spot up front. It's too early to say whether Allegretti might be a solution here, as he (if I remember corectly) only saw snaps on ST. But after a year on the team he may be in a position to challenge the incumbent.

LDT at RG - I'm not sure what was going on with him. He got hurt early in the season, and I have a feeling he never really fully recovered. Whether that's a physical thing or more mental, I'm not sure. But he didn't look like his former self. He never was a road grader, but he looked somewhat hesitant during the season.

Martinas Rankin was the only other backup receiving meaningful snaps. I think he did really well in spot duty. Too bad he got hurt as well, I would have loved to see a bit more of him to get a feel whether he should be considered a future starter - be it on the inside or out. I think it's definitely an option. At minimum I'd consider him an option as swing tackle.

All the others (Hunter, Barton, Senat) are unknowns to me.

The Outlook:

So what to do. One of Wylie and Wisniewski should return on a budget deal. Erving I'd keep at least for camp. After that my priority would probably be to bring in a potential year one starter for the inside. Whether left, right or center may depend on a detailed evaluatiuon by those in power AFTER training camp only - thus flexibility would be a huge plus. If an OT falls - or no value is to be had at another position - start building depth at OT - unlkess you think you have something in Rankin.

That said I expect an inside OL being drafted somewhere between the first and third round. In addition I'd also expect some budget, short term veteran acquisitions, or Wisniewski and/or Wylie re-signing on a budget deal, but most likely only after the draft and the first two rounds of FA.
Edited by KC_Guy
  • Like 1

Excellent writeup

this is actually a pretty good interior OL class In the draft so I could see us drafting a guy this year for it. 

Totally On board with bringing Wis back, he seemed to stabilize the entire OL once he was dialed in.

The tackle class looks decent at the top but drops off after that. We’d need to target somebody early.

How much longer is the Canadian doctor under contract for? 

As much as we have bad mouthed the OL for their play in the SB, they delivered. This was one of the best pass blocking OL in the league, at the expense of the run blocking. That's with our LT missing half the season and the starting LG missing the whole thing. In other words, some new blood would be helpful, but no changes are strictly speaking needed. In general, we can sacrifice a bit of size for mobility and athleticism. 

I would definitely not look to use the first round pick. It has been noted that this is a good IOL draft. 3rd or 4th round, with growth potential is the idea. OT maybe in with #63.

J

• 1 month later...

Interesting article at Pride. The idea is to take an OT first.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/4/10/21214591/the-case-for-the-chiefs-taking-an-offensive-tackle-in-round-one

It is commonly accepted that after the historic crop of WR, the next best position is OT. As many as six are being routinely mocked in the first round. The tier-1 group includes Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton, Jedrick Wills, Andrew Thomas and Josh Jones in some order and most likely all will go in the first 25 picks. The next tier contains Ezra Cleveland, Isaiah Wilson, Matt Peart and Austin Jackson. 

Consider that Austin Jackson is the only one regularly going in the first round, but still slipping into the second round on occasion. Where would he have placed in last year's draft? The Texans took Tytus Howard #23. If Jackson was available, would Houston make the same pick? Chances are good that either Jackson or Georgia's Isaiah Wilson is available at #32. We redshirted Mahomes for a year. Why not our next bodyguard?

J

Imo this draft shouldn’t be about year 1 starters.   It’s finding starters for year 2 and beyond to replace high cap hits.   OT and IOL would be options for me in all rounds.   Not worried if they produce year 1,  I like for OL to have a year on the sideline anyways.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

My only problem with taking an OT in the first is we're drafting a backup with our 1st round pick. Though I guess 32 is a long way down and we don't have many starting jobs open with our run it back squad.

That's like saying Alabama should not redshirt players because they are five star recruits. It's much easier to draft a couple of years ahead and patch holes through free agency than to do it the other way around. hat I am describing is Belichick's tried and proven method. It's one reason they kept trading out of the first round. The 25-50 range is where you get players with high upside that are not ready to start.

For those that are old enough to remember the priest Holmes era, should we have picked an OT in 2004 when Willie Roaf was 34? He was All Pro that year. Will Shields was Pro Bowl, and 33. Should we have used two premium picks? History says, hell yes.

J

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That's like saying Alabama should not redshirt players because they are five star recruits. It's much easier to draft a couple of years ahead and patch holes through free agency than to do it the other way around. hat I am describing is Belichick's tried and proven method. It's one reason they kept trading out of the first round. The 25-50 range is where you get players with high upside that are not ready to start.

For those that are old enough to remember the priest Holmes era, should we have picked an OT in 2004 when Willie Roaf was 34? He was All Pro that year. Will Shields was Pro Bowl, and 33. Should we have used two premium picks? History says, hell yes.

J

What, you didn’t enjoy watching Damion McIntosh and Jordan Black?  

• Like 1