2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Offensive Line

KC_Guy

On 7/25/2020 at 2:32 PM, onejayhawk said:

He is a doctor, though I don't understand where you get the idea that America is doing badly in the COVID situation. WE have done middling well and considerably better than western Europe.

LDT's obvious replacement is Lucas Niang, provided he is healthy enough to go. Failing that, there a lot of suspects--Wylie, Alligretti, Remmers, Rankin, and several rookie candidates. If it's Remmers, then Niang needs to be the swing OT. If they go with Wylie, It will be as a bandaid on the wound. Given time, Yasir Durant and Derryl Williams have potential,

J

Well I live in AZ and we were the worst in the world at one point not too long ago.🤷‍♂️

with the Osemele addition I wonder if we see more Wylie back at RG.

• 2 weeks later...

Wire has an article out on how OG is developing. According to practice snaps, OG is coming down to Remmers, Wylie, and Osemele. Remmers and Osemele are competing at left guard, while Wylie and Remmers are competing at right guard. Since Remmers is also a potential swing tackle, this may well determine if he backs up everyone but Reiter. 

The second unit adds Greg Senat, Nick Allegretti, Ran Hunter, Jackson Barton. Notably missing are Martinas Rankin and Chris Williams. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/11/kansas-city-chiefs-mike-remmers-andrew-wylie-starting-guards-at-training-camp/

J

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Remmers entered the Chargers game as an eligible receiver. Keizer was in less as a blocking TE. Is this a plan going forward?

J

Seems we did much worse in blocking with less Keizer in. The OL just kept getting demolished over and over again

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Seems we did much worse in blocking with less Keizer in. The OL just kept getting demolished over and over again

The Chiefs are bottom five in pass pro by PFF's system. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/21/kansas-city-chiefs-fifth-most-pressures-allowed-pff/

FBO puts us 2nd in the league, with an adjusted sack rate under 3%. Mahomes is very good at not taking a sack, but he has been flushed from the pocket too often. We don't beat the Chargers without PM's legs. Some of it may be the new focus on run blocking. We were bottom five in run blocking last season but top half so far this season. We are also running more plays with 3 WR, hence one fewer extra blockers, particularly with Kelce in the pattern.

Edited by onejayhawk

One issue I have read several times about Mahomes is that he, after the planned dropback, tends to drift back even further.
This of course leads especially the OT to let go once they sense they have moved the rusher far enough to the back for him to pose any thread ... only to figure out that Mahomes took another two or three steps back and squarely sits in the lane the rusher is taking. 
I definitely think that's one of the areas Mahomes still has to improve in ... when to step up and when to bail out. I feel he is still avoiding stepping up as it forces him to deliberately give up his outside mobility. Several examples of this during the Chargers game where he had room to step up but chose to bail out, mostly running for his life..

8 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

One issue I have read several times about Mahomes is that he, after the planned dropback, tends to drift back even further.
This of course leads especially the OT to let go once they sense they have moved the rusher far enough to the back for him to pose any thread ... only to figure out that Mahomes took another two or three steps back and squarely sits in the lane the rusher is taking. 
I definitely think that's one of the areas Mahomes still has to improve in ... when to step up and when to bail out. I feel he is still avoiding stepping up as it forces him to deliberately give up his outside mobility. Several examples of this during the Chargers game where he had room to step up but chose to bail out, mostly running for his life..

I think this year that’s going to be a continuing issue because that’s just his style of play. Maybe more designed rollouts like the Hill TD could help? Just have him vacate the pocket entirely to make plays.

although one of these days a defender is gonna slam him into the turf if he keeps doing jump passes

• 4 weeks later...

The Bills game shook things up. It looks like Kilgore may have become the starting C. Allegretti looked good at LG, so Remmer does not have to cover that spot. That said, Remmer was a big step down from Schwartz at RT. It is unclear how long Schwartz will be out. Back injuries are tricky and tend to linger.

Also in the mix is Martinas Rankin, who is finally coming back from his injury. One wonders if Yasir Durant will see the field anytime soon. 

J

On 10/22/2020 at 3:18 PM, onejayhawk said:

The Bills game shook things up. It looks like Kilgore may have become the starting C. Allegretti looked good at LG, so Remmer does not have to cover that spot. That said, Remmer was a big step down from Schwartz at RT. It is unclear how long Schwartz will be out. Back injuries are tricky and tend to linger.

Also in the mix is Martinas Rankin, who is finally coming back from his injury. One wonders if Yasir Durant will see the field anytime soon. 

J

Without the preseason I feel like I've missed out seeing some of the newer/younger guys. I had no clue we even had Kilgore much less when he became the starter Monday. Another surprise to me is that he's 32 (will be 33 in December). Drafted in '11 by the 9ers in the 5th round, traded to Miami then signed by us. 🤷

Kilgore has been a good player, but he also has mileage. I was impressed with Allegretti, who seems to be moving to G as his full time slot. 

The injury report had Fisher, but he was full practice and not designated for the game. Reid said that they would be going with Fisher/Allegretti/Kilgore/Wylie/Remmer against Denver. Other than Fisher, the only returning player is the one most of us wanted to upgrade.

J

Edited by onejayhawk