BDL 2017 Week 2: Oklahoma City Rogues @ Wichita Woodpeckers

TedLavie

BDL 2017 Week 2: Oklahoma City Rogues @ Wichita Woodpeckers  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/20/2017 at 02:00 PM

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (GTD) are game-time decisions

OKC 

QB: Cam Newton

RB: Jonathan Stewart

WR: Jeremy Maclin

WR: Adam Thielen

WR: Nelson Agholor

WR/TE: Jordan Reed

LT: David Bakhtiari

LG: Richie Incognito

C: Weston Richburg

RG: TJ Lang

RT: Jack Conklin

RB: Joe Mixon

RB: Terrance West

RB: LeGarrette Blount

WR: Allen Hurns

WR: Mike Wallace

TE: Jared Cook

TE: Clive Walford

T: Morgan Moses

ROLB: Ryan Kerrigan

DT: Cameron Heyward

NT: Star Lotulelei

DT: Eddie Goldman

LOLB: Von Miller

LB: Eric Kendricks

CB: Patrick Peterson

CB: Eli Apple

CB: Brent Grimes

FS: Malik Hooker

SS: Jordan Poyer

DL: Carl Davis

DL: Montravius Adams

OLB: Connor Barwin

LB: Darron Lee

LB: Jeremy Cash

CB: Morris Claiborne

CB: Shaq Griffin

S: Andre Hal

Wichita

QB: Jared Goff
RB: Leonard Fournette
WR: Dez Bryant
WR: Eric Decker
WR: Kenny Stills
TE: Greg Olsen
LT: Kelechi Osemele
LG: John Jerry
C: Ryan Kalil
RG: Jahri Evans
RT: Jeremy Parnell

QB: Carson Palmer
RB: Matt Forte
WR: DeVante Parker
TE: Cameron Brate
OL: Spencer Long
OL: Allen Babre

DE: Olivier Vernon
DT: Jonathan Allen
DT: Corey Peters
DE: Brandon Graham
LB: Sean Lee
LB: Luke Kuechly
CB: David Amerson
FS: Ron Parker
SS: Harrison Smith
NCB: Brian Poole
CB: Daryl Worley

DE: Willie Young
DT: Pat Sims
LB: Hassaan Reddick
CB: William Gay
CB: Rashaan Melvin
S: Jabrill Peppers

OKC

After a tough loss last week to Berlin, we look to right the ship this week against our bitter division rival. Last year, the rivalry between our two teams existed only because of our shared division, but now, with our move to Oklahoma City, there's only 161 miles between us and the Woodpeckers. Because of that, we see the two games we get each year against Wichita as the two must wins on our schedule. In this game, we match up very well against them. Wichita's offensive line will stand no chance against our defensive line, and their underwhelming secondary will give our receivers plenty of space on offense.

Offense:

Similar to Rome's strategy from last week, we will try to spread out the Wichita defense and take advantage of their weak and shallow secondary. Jordan Reed will essentially play wide receiver in this game, lining up wide on majority of the plays. Our passing game will try to work all levels of the field with all four of our starting receivers playing both outside and from the slot. We will also rotate Allen Hurns in as a fifth option as well as give Mike Wallace and Jared Cook some snaps to take some deep shots.

Jonathan Stewart will be the primary option in the running game with Joe Mixon also receiving snaps. Because we will often line up without an in-line tight end, we will sometimes leave our running back in to help pass protect against a good Wichita pass rush. Our running backs will also be expected to run routes as needed. We will also have a few draw plays for Cam Newton to take advantage of a spread out defense.

Defense:

In this game, our primary goal will be to dominate the line of scrimmage and control the game from there. Our base package will feature a five man line with 3 down linemen and Von Miller and Ryan Kerrigan on the edge. With this arrangement, we will force several 1v1 matches against Wichita's offensive linemen, all of whom will be overmatched. We expect our dominance in the trenches to completely suffocate the Wichita offense, no matter who starts at QB.

Our coverage scheme will be man heavy with a mix of Cover-3 zone. In man coverage, Patrick Peterson will shadow Dez Bryant, Brent Grimes will cover Eric Decker, and Eli Apple will cover Kenny Stills. Eric Kendricks and Jordan Poyer will double Greg Olsen. Malik Hooker will stick to his deep Cover-1 zone. In Cover-3, Peterson and Apple will play the outside corners, Hooker will play the deep middle, and Grimes, Poyer, and Kendricks will play the middle zones. We will also occasionally drop Miller or Kerrigan back into a zone to try to catch the Wichita QB off guard.

We expect our dominance of the line of scrimmage to stop the Wichita run game, also. Our coverage scheme also allows us to pull Jordan Poyer into the box, giving Eric Kendricks support on the second level.

We expect Wichita to leave their running back in to help their offensive line on most plays, making him a non-factor as a threat. If the running back becomes a focal point of their passing offense, then we will take Lotulelei off the field in favor of Darron Lee and revert to our traditional 2-4-5 with Lee covering the back. If Wichita goes four wide, then Lotulelei will still come off the field but in favor of Morris Claiborne. Even if we have to do this, we believe we will still dominate the line of scrimmage.

Wichita

Offense:

Goff takes over at QB for the Woodpeckers this week as we face off in the I-35 show down with Oklahoma City. This week we will be running a balanced attack started with a heavy dose of the running game. Fournette was a monster last week and will receive a lion’s share of the carries this week. Forte will come in sporadically on third downs as the passing back and to keep Fournette’s legs fresh. These two will also be critical in the passing game as screen check downs to neutralize the expected blitzing nature of the OKC defense.

With the passing game we will employ 3 WR, 4 WR and 2 TE formations this week with our bevy of receiving threats. It is expected that Bryant will be blanketed by Peterson so we will focus our efforts to Decker, Stills, Parker and Olsen primarily. To keep Bryant relevant however, we will be shifting him around the offense including some time at slot to try to shake Peterson’s coverage and test him inside where he does not typically play. Olsen will be used as a chip block against Miller to help give Goff more time and provide a safety valve underneath for Goff to dump off to in a pinch. By getting the running game started early, it also opens up the playbook for playaction to test OKC deep.

Defense:

The place where Oklahoma struggles is it’s lack of quality receiving threats. Last week their best target was in reserve while they sported a tandem of Maclin and Wallace as their top two threats. Given this fact I will roll a normal man coverage defense. Amerson on Maclin, Worley on Wallace, Poole in slot receiver if they roll with three wide. Parker will play deep man, Smith will play at LBer level and be an additional cog at stifling the running game. If OKC employs the 2 TE look again, Poole will slide out for Reddick, Lee and Kuechly will cover the TE duo of Reed and Cook while Reddick has RB and is situationally a blitzer to keep Cam on his toes. There will always be 5 men blitzing whether it be Reddick/Smith, a nickel corner etc. We want to keep Cam on his toes and we want to over load the offensive line to throw off his timing. Cam is not an accurate QB. He never has been. The more rushed he is, the less accurate he becomes and the more turnovers he forces.  Whether in Nickel formation or 4-3, there will always be 7-8 men in the box to styme the running game and force Cam to air it out throughout the game.

Oklahoma City 17  – 20 Wichita

72F, Light Wind

Scoring Summary;

1st Quarter

OKC        8:22       TD          Nelson Agholor 6 yd. pass from Newton (XP kick)            7-0

WIC        2:01       TD          Leonard Fournette 5 yd. run (XP kick)    7-7

2nd Quarter

OKC        7:13       TD          Adam Thielen 44 yd. run (XP kick)           14-7

WIC        2:06       FG           FG 46 yds.           14-10

WIC        0:00       FG           FG 33 yds.           14-13

4th Quarter

OKC        12:54    FG           FG 33 yds.           17-13

POR       0:18       TD          Leonard Fournette 11 yd. run (XP kick)  17-20

Key Stat Leaders;

Passing;

OKC: Cam Newton – 15/28, 165yds, 1TD, 1Int

WIC: Jared Goff – 14/22, 181yds, 0TDs, 0Ints

Rushing;

OKC: Adam Thielen – 1 car, 44yds, 1TD

OKC: Jonathan Stewart – 13 car, 37yds

WIC: Leonard Fournette – 27 car, 96yds, 2TDs

WIC: Matt Forte – 19 car, 47yds

Receiving;

OKC: Jordan Reed – 5 recs, 52yds

OKC: Jeremy Maclin – 3 recs, 41yds

WIC: Eric Decker – 4 recs, 59yds

WIC: Kenny Stills – 4 recs, 55yds

8 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

OKC should be able to run the ball with Newton and dominate in the trenches, Comfortable win for OKC.

He said a few plays Dingo... not the whole game and he is running into 8 in the box man... 

Some key points to consider in this game.

Morgan Moses or Conklin would have to shift to LT with Bakhtiari out.

Worley in man coverage...

Cam Newton hasn't looked great but he has better tackles even with Bakhtiari out in this game

I like Wichitas game plan on defense but I Wish they had better players to execute it at corner and FS.

At the end of the day Goff is going to feel so much heat from Von and Kerrigan and Dez will get shut down just like he was by Roby on sunday. I do think Olsen and Stills could make some plays in the middle of the field and Fournette could get going a little bit but I don't think it's enough. If Wichita had better tackles to face against that pass rush and a more proven QB I think they could possibly take this one. But my vote is for OKC although not very impressed with their offense I think they have enough to get the job done in a closer one than some may think on here.     17- 10 OKC

I think it's a slugfest. With Bakhtiari out and Coklin struggling and a QB who's still not 100%, OKC heavy passing strategy is a mistake imho. Wichita corners aren't great, and I can see Maclin and Thielen having a decent game, but Graham and Vernon would be in Newton face all game long. On the other hand, Wichita OL, while looking much better than last week, isn't good enough for OKC DL. OKC lack of second level players (even with Poyer in box) worries me a bit but in most cases, I can't see holes open in the OL for Fournette. In the end, I think Cam makes less mistakes with pressure in his face and it will be easier for him to find open wideouts, but it's close. OKC 13 - Wichita 9

1 minute ago, PR said:

So what do you think of my d-line?

4 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I think it's a slugfest. With Bakhtiari out and Coklin struggling and a QB who's still not 100%, OKC heavy passing strategy is a mistake imho. Wichita corners aren't great, and I can see Maclin and Thielen having a decent game, but Graham and Vernon would be in Newton face all game long. On the other hand, Wichita OL, while looking much better than last week, isn't good enough for OKC DL. OKC lack of second level players (even with Poyer in box) worries me a bit but in most cases, I can't see holes open in the OL for Fournette. In the end, I think Cam makes less mistakes with pressure in his face and it will be easier for him to find open wideouts, but it's close. OKC 13 - Wichita 9

Archived