Lions shopping Darius Slay

Karnage84

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2876742-darius-slay-trade-rumors-lions-have-spoken-to-multiple-teams-about-deal-for-cb

It seems like the contract talks aren't going the right way and the team is shopping Slay to any potential suitors. Any new team is going to have to include a new contract starting around $15M APY. I also have to imagine after years of being on teams watching the playoffs at home Slay is going to want a team in the hunt. 

The likely candidates are going to be a) team with cap space; b) need CB help

These are the teams listed in order of cap space available that have CB as either a Primary or Secondary need according to TDN. https://thedraftnetwork.com/team-needs

• MIA
  • BUF
  • DAL
  • HOU
  • SEA
  • NYG
  • NYJ
  • DEN
  • LAC
  • ARI
  • LVR
  • WAS

I think we will get a 2020 2nd rd pick and a 2021 3rd rd pick. I dont think they trade him until after they sign his replacement in FA. I am hoping for Byron Jones as he can move to S as he ages so we get more bang for our buck with him. Other options are Logan Ryan and Chris Harris Jr.

If we do trade him, it wouldn't shock me to see us sign two guys in FA + draft someone, whether that's Okudah or one of the tier 2 guys later in rd 1 or early rd 2. 

I still think we should just pay him the $16M but I wonder if he's looking at the front office and trying to push himself out as well. He was clearly upset with the Diggs trade and then they don't really want to pay him what he's asking for, so he's probably packing his bags already. 

• Like 2

Just now, detroitroar said:

I'd be fine with 16 for the first year. Quinn as well I would imagine. What's probably at question is the other years and just how many years.

I'd add two years at $16M and front load the guaranteed money. The salary cap is going up with the next CBA and the Lions do have money to spend this off-season even with some of the bigger contracts that we have. Slay is among the Stafford's, Calvin's, Barry's as long tenured Lions players that played towards the top end of the league. He's already doing incredible team ambassador stuff in the community. He's still playing at a high level albeit he has dropped off a bit. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

id just keep Slay, he knows the system, great in the community,  "reportedly" hes already texting Okudah. plus in this nfl you cant have to many good Cb's 

I'm not trying to sound like an ***, but if you have zero pass rush...I do think you can have too many good cbs. 

I think with just an average pass rush we would of made the playoffs last year...and a healthy Stafford of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd add two years at $16M and front load the guaranteed money. The salary cap is going up with the next CBA and the Lions do have money to spend this off-season even with some of the bigger contracts that we have. Slay is among the Stafford's, Calvin's, Barry's as long tenured Lions players that played towards the top end of the league. He's already doing incredible team ambassador stuff in the community. He's still playing at a high level albeit he has dropped off a bit. 

Noway I would pay a 30 yr old CB 16 mil a year. We already got burnt being nice to team guys with Snacks last year.