Lions shopping Darius Slay

Karnage84

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Which of these two options would you prefer:

1. The 29 year old Darius Slay making $16.5M for the next four years.

2. The 27 year old Byron Jones making $16.5M for the next four years plus a first round or high second round 2020 draft pick.

We can lose Slay, get compensation and still not find ourselves depleted at CB.

I guess I'm more cautious in thinking we can upgrade from Darius Slay this year (either through FA or the draft). I know he had a down year but anyone would with the pathetic pass rush we put out there last year.  Which shoe drops first? Do we trade Slay and throw everything but the kitchen sink at an upgrade (B. Jones)? Can we roster both Slay and Jones until we trade Slay? I agree it's not necessarily Slay or bust,  but with a win now mandate and 4 gaping holes on your roster, why risk another creating a 5th? The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

11 hours ago, Bishop86 said:

I guess I'm more cautious in thinking we can upgrade from Darius Slay this year (either through FA or the draft). I know he had a down year but anyone would with the pathetic pass rush we put out there last year.  Which shoe drops first? Do we trade Slay and throw everything but the kitchen sink at an upgrade (B. Jones)? Can we roster both Slay and Jones until we trade Slay? I agree it's not necessarily Slay or bust,  but with a win now mandate and 4 gaping holes on your roster, why risk another creating a 5th? The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

I don't think the Lions are actively looking to move Slay but they're looking to see what kind of offers they can get and then weigh paying a 29 yo CB vs getting XYZ in terms of compensation for him. They are doing their due diligence which you can't really blame them for. It doesn't guarantee that he won't be a Lion this year. 

• Like 3

What does the AJ Bouye trade do in setting the market to deal Slay?  I'm figuring, if a fringe #1CB like Bouye on a bloated contract can fetch a 4th round pick...an actual top CB like Slay should fetch a decent bit more, even if he is seeking a bigtime extension as part of the arrangement.  Bouye is already up in that sort of $$$ range Slay is reportedly seeking (though a bit less on account of dead money and stuff).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

What does the AJ Bouye trade do in setting the market to deal Slay?  I'm figuring, if a fringe #1CB like Bouye on a bloated contract can fetch a 4th round pick...an actual top CB like Slay should fetch a decent bit more, even if he is seeking a bigtime extension as part of the arrangement.  Bouye is already up in that sort of $$$ range Slay is reportedly seeking (though a bit less on account of dead money and stuff).

It leads me to believe that the best we'll get is a 2nd rounder and more likely a 3rd rounder if he's forcing his way out. The difference between Bouye and Slay is that the Jaguars were getting ready to cut him. The Lions are going to keep Slay and can afford to keep him if they don't find the right deal. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It leads me to believe that the best we'll get is a 2nd rounder and more likely a 3rd rounder if he's forcing his way out. The difference between Bouye and Slay is that the Jaguars were getting ready to cut him. The Lions are going to keep Slay and can afford to keep him if they don't find the right deal. 

Good points made here.

I do think a 2nd is probably his ceiling.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I'd do Slay for Trent Williams

And don't kid yourself that Slay is forcing his way out. He's an outspoken personality and doesn't fit the desired Quinn-Patricia robot mode. They should keep him if the mandate to win next year means anything (hint: it doesn't)

Isn't speaking publicly in a negative way about the organization - after most likely being told not to behind the scenes - 'forcing one's way out'? You can argue that it isn't fair to restrict what they say to the media, and I don't necessarily disagree, but that doesn't make it any less abrasive towards Quinn and Patricia.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I'd do Slay for Trent Williams

And don't kid yourself that Slay is forcing his way out. He's an outspoken personality and doesn't fit the desired Quinn-Patricia robot mode. They should keep him if the mandate to win next year means anything (hint: it doesn't)

lmaoooooo good thing you are on the forum and not a decision maker for them

On 3/5/2020 at 7:42 PM, NFL_Fan said:

lmaoooooo good thing you are on the forum and not a decision maker for them

Really? You think they're going to get more than a third round pick for him? And would you trade a third rounder for Williams?

When you see what they actually end up getting for Slay, I guarantee this compares pretty favorably 

Edited by Superduperman

15 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Really? You think they're going to get more than a third round pick for him? And would you trade a third rounder for Williams?

When you see what they actually end up getting for Slay, I guarantee this compares pretty favorably 

I'm honestly not sure. Our 3rd? Eh, probably not. An early 3rd in this draft is pretty valuable.

Williams is 32, hasn't played since the 2018 season, has missed games in all but two of his nine seasons (a total of 24 games missed) and wants a huge deal. I'd much rather make a push for Conklin and save the early 3rd.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 1:59 PM, Superduperman said:

Unless Slay legitimately threatens to sit out the season, I don't see them taking less than a 2nd (even if it's a late 2nd) or as part of an overall package like a trade with Miami to move up for Tua. If he really is sitting there and talking about sitting out, the 3rd is the lowest I would be willing to go if I'm the FO. What I wonder about is whether Miami, cap space and all, would make a move like that while coming from the Patriots coaching tree.