Lions shopping Darius Slay

Karnage84

15 minutes ago, BZski said:

Noway I would pay a 30 yr old CB 16 mil a year. We already got burnt being nice to team guys with Snacks last year.

He's not even 30 yet and you're looking at really a 2 year deal. Eat the money this year and ensure that years 2 and 3 really are voidable if he drops off. I'd rather have Slay at 85% than try to fill his spot with a FA we haven't seen in the system and/or plug in a rookie. 

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

He's not even 30 yet and you're looking at really a 2 year deal. Eat the money this year and ensure that years 2 and 3 really are voidable if he drops off. I'd rather have Slay at 85% than try to fill his spot with a FA we haven't seen in the system and/or plug in a rookie. 

Id rather sign Byron Jones in FA and get an extra 2nd rd pick + for trading Slay.

Edited by BZski

If the Lions are sure that Slay won't resign then I'm OK with trading him, but I really think that they should try. He's going to get a ton of money. Slay will probably set a new record when he signs his next contract, but that's how the market works. You have to pay these guys top dollar if you want to keep them. Someone else will be the highest-paid CB the year after that, and then again the year after. 

I really think that we need a better defensive line though...it'll be hard for any DB to look like a stud when there's no pass rush.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

If the Lions are sure that Slay won't resign then I'm OK with trading him, but I really think that they should try. He's going to get a ton of money. Slay will probably set a new record when he signs his next contract, but that's how the market works. You have to pay these guys top dollar if you want to keep them. Someone else will be the highest-paid CB the year after that, and then again the year after. 

I really think that we need a better defensive line though...it'll be hard for any DB to look like a stud when there's no pass rush.

I think he'll get close to top dollar but I don't know if he'll set the market. I'm almost expecting a guy like Byron Jones to do that based on ability/age with age playing a huge factor. 

i saw on twitter last night(take it for what its worth) that the Rams are the front runners for Slay... i can see totally see a Gurley for Slay swap and idk if i like that or not.. also dont know how much money Gurley would costs to move... could also see a Malcolm brown as part of the trade since we were after him last year..

2 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

i saw on twitter last night(take it for what its worth) that the Rams are the front runners for Slay... i can see totally see a Gurley for Slay swap and idk if i like that or not.. also dont know how much money Gurley would costs to move... could also see a Malcolm brown as part of the trade since we were after him last year..

You don't want Gurley. Trust me.

Malcolm Brown I could see. What about a tag and trade of Dante Fowler?  3-4 OLB and still very young. Last year Frank Clark got Seattle a 1st and 2nd round pick. Fowler is that class of player at the same position so trading him for a CB that wasn't going to resign seems fair to me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

You don't want Gurley. Trust me.

Malcolm Brown I could see. What about a tag and trade of Dante Fowler?  3-4 OLB and still very young. Last year Frank Clark got Seattle a 1st and 2nd round pick. Fowler is that class of player at the same position so trading him for a CB that wasn't going to resign seems fair to me. 

The thing that a lot of people forget, including us Lions fans, is that Slay is under contract for another year. The Lions would then be able to franchise him for the next year as well. He's come out and said that he won't hold out like he did this year which is probably based on his play this year. It's hard to support getting a new contract with his age (which he can't impact) and declining play (which he has some ability to impact). 

I'd be surprised to see LA let Brown go with Gurley's sudden decline. I'm not opposed to Fowler but it almost seems like a step back for you guys. Nearly 30 year old CB with new contract for 26 year old Edge rusher? 

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The thing that a lot of people forget, including us Lions fans, is that Slay is under contract for another year. The Lions would then be able to franchise him for the next year as well. He's come out and said that he won't hold out like he did this year which is probably based on his play this year. It's hard to support getting a new contract with his age (which he can't impact) and declining play (which he has some ability to impact). 

I'd be surprised to see LA let Brown go with Gurley's sudden decline. I'm not opposed to Fowler but it almost seems like a step back for you guys. Nearly 30 year old CB with new contract for 26 year old Edge rusher? 

Brown can go. We drafted a rookie last year who will take alot of snaps. Brown is a solid, but unspectacular RB at a position you can draft anywhere. For the purpose of this example, he's sweetener because the Lions previously showed interest.

Rams have some young, cheap options behind Fowler and have alot of tough decisions to make. Slay would likely be $13mil per year. Fowler will be in the $18+ per year range. I also he think, like anyone, benefitted from playing off of Donalds double teams. He did take a big step forward last year regardless. He finished with 11.5 sacks, but should of been 14.5 due to inability to wrap up and over pursuit. 

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Brown can go. We drafted a rookie last year who will take alot of snaps. Brown is a solid, but unspectacular RB at a position you can draft anywhere. For the purpose of this example, he's sweetener because the Lions previously showed interest.

Rams have some young, cheap options behind Fowler and have alot of tough decisions to make. Slay would likely be $13mil per year. Fowler will be in the $18+ per year range. I also he think, like anyone, benefitted from playing off of Donalds double teams. He did take a big step forward last year regardless. He finished with 11.5 sacks, but should of been 14.5 due to inability to wrap up and over pursuit. 

Slay wants $16M+. He's great in the community, so I do think he'd rather the Lions just pay him instead of having to uproot his family. However, he seems pretty stuck on wanting to get his last big deal and get paid. Any team that acquires him is going to have to do it knowing he wants to get paid like the top corner in the league. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Although completely true, his value may not be higher than it is now, and tagging him would be an even bigger cap hit. If we play hardball (and I'm not saying we shouldn't) we may end up paying a disgruntled shell of his former self just to lose him for minimal/no compensation down the road.

8 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

They do not really have any draft picks so if they want to send over Cooper Kupp that should do it. Maybe Taylor Rapp and a future 2nd would work too?

21 hours ago, BZski said:

They do not really have any draft picks so if they want to send over Cooper Kupp that should do it. Maybe Taylor Rapp and a future 2nd would work too?

Kupp is going to want to get paid and has his own injury questions to deal with. 

McVay is a very good coach but they went all in and it didn't work out. That is a team that is going to be in a pretty tough spot for a couple years with some bad contracts - Goff and Gurley for sure, plus very little in the cupboard for draft capital.