Can PJ Walker be a starting QB gor these teams

Vladimir L

50 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t know but it’s wild all the people on Twitter clamoring for him to get a shot in the NFL like he hasn’t been cut by the Colts 3 times already.

True but a shot with 1st string

XFL gave us Tommy Madaux before he went down the steelers looked good

Kurt Warner also came from the arena league

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I don’t know but it’s wild all the people on Twitter clamoring for him to get a shot in the NFL like he hasn’t been cut by the Colts 3 times already.

Colts had Andrew Luck and Jacoby Brissett, two arguably starting quarterbacks to any team in this league. 

• Like 2

I'd say no, and I'm all about MVPJ Walker. Part of why he looks so good is because he's running a June Jones Run and Shoot, a four wide offense that is pretty similar to a collegiate Air Raid system. It's good for creating some quick passing lanes, and can lead to bigger plays downfield with a QB like Walker, who can create extra time in and out of the pocket. This offense works against an XFL defense, but I don't think it's probable to work against an NFL defense.

If you're taking a shot with Walker, you're committing to a specific offense that he could play in - he's not good enough to play in a typical offense.

1 hour ago, Dome said:

*Shrug*

James Harrison was cut by the Ravens about three times before he latched onto the Steelers and racked up a HoF-ish career. Johnny Unitas was cut by the Steelers five times before he got his bearings with the Colts.

It's possible to take a jump after a few camps. Not probable, but possible.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

*Shrug*

James Harrison was cut by the Ravens about three times before he latched onto the Steelers and racked up a HoF-ish career. Johnny Unitas was cut by the Steelers five times before he got his bearings with the Colts.

It's possible to take a jump. Not probable, but possible.

Were people frothing at the mouth for Harrison like he was going to be the next big thing? Or was he a bubble player for the Steelers who impressed and got his shot the old fashioned way? I honestly don't remember, I'm like 35 years younger than you. 

My comment was more about the twitiots and their hype machine than it was to say PJ has no shot.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

James Harrison was cut by the Ravens about three times before he latched onto the Steelers and racked up a HoF-ish career.

He was cut by the Steelers 3 times. Then he did sign with the Ravens European team and was then cut and made his way back to the Steelers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Drained said:

Colts had Andrew Luck and Jacoby Brissett, two arguably starting quarterbacks to any team in this league. 

I'm just saying, people on twitter are acting like he's something new the NFL hasn't seen before. It's pretty normal for twitter, but still.

His skills have been tested against NFL talent for the world to see, for 3 preseasons he's been given a chance.

Last preseason he completed half his passes for 0 TDs and 2 interceptions against non-starting defenses. 

Not saying it's impossible, I'm saying lets pump the brakes on naming 8 teams he could potentially start for.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dome said:

I honestly don't remember, I'm like 35 years younger than you. 

...so we can add "counting" to the list of things you can't do following your head injury.

(I ain't your daddy's @vike daddy, I shoot back on the age jokes).

15 minutes ago, Dome said:

Were people frothing at the mouth for Harrison like he was going to be the next big thing? Or was he a bubble player for the Steelers who impressed and got his shot the old fashioned way? 

No, but that has to do with Harrison not having anything to do on-field to get people frothy for. Much like how Harrison didn't have the avenue that Walker didn't have, Walker wasn't ever viewed as a viable QB at Colts camp, simply because of the investment in Jacoby Brissett and Andrew Luck - both of them had starter experience, Luck has a big contract and Brissett was traded for after his rookie season. PJ wasn't going to get a legitimate shot with these two commanding as much in the term of resources, and so many teams would prefer to go with two QBs and a PS guy instead of three QBs on the 53.

Different paths sure. But, results should be the same.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Walker wasn't ever viewed as a viable QB at Colts camp, simply because of the investment in Jacoby Brissett and Andrew Luck

I feel like another thing hurting his viability was his 50% completion percentage and 0:2 TD:INT against bubble players when he did get a chance to play.

I'm sure having two quality QBs hurt his chances as well, but it's not like they were looking for creative ways to stash this guy on their team somehow or trade him away for a late pick to someone else since he was sure to be signed as soon as they cut him.

At the end of the day, nobody wanted him on their final roster after 3 years worth of preseasons to prove himself in the NFL. It's not a death sentence, but it's not a good look.

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No, but that has to do with Harrison not having anything to get people frothy for.

This is kind of my point. Harrison had to do it the old fashioned way. I'll trust that method. When PJ is in a heated position battle during an NFL minicamp, I'll start paying attention.

The method I don't trust is a guy blowing up the twitterverse after a couple XFL games, a guy that's already missed the mark on 3 final cut days in the NFL and didn't look particularly impressive (albeit with potential) when he was given a shot to play against NFL talent.

People want to talk about how it's not impossible for him to make it in the NFL, I get that.

I just want to talk about how it's not likely.  Definitely not when we start listing a quarter of the league as places he could (potentially?) start.

Edited by Dome

19 minutes ago, Dome said:

I feel like another thing hurting his viability was his 50% completion percentage and 0:2 TD:INT against bubble players when he did get a chance to play.

Can you share where you got these numbers from? Because in the clip below, I see Walker throwing a TD pass:

I'm not saying your source isn't valid, but my eyes see a TD pass. Something isn't jiving.

I'm sure having two quality QBs hurt his chances as well, but it's not like they were looking for creative ways to stash this guy on their team somehow or trade him away for a late pick to someone else since he was sure to be signed as soon as they cut him.

Outside of the Saints, no team in the NFL "creatively stashes" #3 QBs (other than putting them on the Practice Squad, which Walker was on). If you're on the 53, you have a job to do, and the #3 QB is usually inactive or on the PS. Taysom Hill is able to justify his spot with ST work and snaps on offense - he's the only #3 QB who does that.

As far as trading him - I doubt that's an option because most teams have their two deep already set by the end of the PS (save for injury) and in the event of injury they usually have a PS guy who already understands the system to plug in. Trading for Walker means you're allocating assets to a guy who doesn't know your system and will spend a pretty good part of the season figuring that out. 

This is kind of my point. Harrison had to do it the old fashioned way. I'll trust that method. When PJ is in a heated position battle during an NFL minicamp, I'll start paying attention

Your too focused on the specific name. How about Kurt Warner? Was there anything trusted about him coming out of NFL Europe? He wasn't competing for anything as camp body in Green Bay, and was brought in to back up Trent Green based on his NFL Europe experience, not because of some camp battle. And we all saw that play out...

24 minutes ago, Dome said:

I just want to talk about how it's not likely.  Definitely not when we start listing a quarter of the league as places he could (potentially?) start.

I don't think any reasonable thought has him starting for anyone. (Emphasis on reasonable). He probably tops out as a mid to high end backup for a Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson or Lamar Jackson - a specific sort of QB, one that creates on the fly with pocket presence and fast feet.

He CAN defy that. 

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Can you share where you got these numbers from? Because in the clip below, I see Walker throwing a TD pass:

I'm not saying your source isn't valid, but my eyes see a TD pass. Something isn't jiving.

52 minutes ago, Dome said:

Last preseason he completed half his passes for 0 TDs and 2 interceptions against non-starting defenses. 

That clip is from the 2018 preseason.

In the 2019 preseason he went 32/64 for 349 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=12371