Sign in to follow this  
RamPackFan

2020 Draft / Prospect talk

1 hour ago, RamPackFan said:

Thoughts on going after XFLs QB PJ Walker as a back up possibility? 

I'd love it, but after this XFL season he will be highly sought after and likely out of our price range. I expect McVay to draft someone this year in the later rounds as a pet project to compete with Wolford.

Edited by BStanRamFan

A player that stood out to me vs. Oregon on New Years day was WR Quintez Cephus. I was excited to see him mocked in one of @jrry32 posts.

6'1 207lbs  missed 2018 due to two sexual assault charges that he was found not guilty on both. Could be a steal in the 4th round to replace Michael Thomas and eventual successor to Robert Woods.

While I have the feeling that some team is going to overdraft him on the basis of his measurables, but I absolutely love the potential of Nick Coe, who Auburn was playing more on the edge, being kicked inward more and playing as a 4T/5T who commands double-teams.  Still has some development because Auburn used him as a jack-of-all-trades sort and it didn't really give him a chance to fine-tune his handwork or pass-rushing plans, but he's got length you can't teach (length we're losing in Brockers) and his punch, when it lands, is pretty vicious.  As the sort of guy that you can line up as 3-4 DE or 2-gapping 5T in base formation but also can allow SJD to slide inside for Gaines on nickel and dime packages, i really like his fit.

I really, like really like Central Florida's Nevelle Clarke.  He's experienced enough in man-coverage that he can hold his own is tasked with it, but he's got the ball skills and instincts that if he's allowed to operate in zone the way that we saw past Fangio-esque  DB's in Bryce Callahan and Tramaine Brock (technically not drafted when Fangio was on the staff, but his breakout came under Fangio/Donatell), he can has potential as a flat out predator in the secondary that also isn't simultaneously a liability.  Was also a Senior Bowl guy, so I figure, at least in some small amount, that has to put him on our radar.

I live in Boise and watched a few games this year and John Hightower really got my attention. He had a great day at the combine. I think he could be of value if we can get him to replace Thomas and/or Cooks. He's got great speed for stretching the field and pretty decent hands. Plus, I think he has a better upside in the return game than what we already have. 

Edited by RamPackFan

Add Cam Dantzler to the list of guys that will probably see their draft position take a tumble because of "slow" combine performance (if we're speaking specifically to his 40-time, his drill work was exactly as I expected it to be) who could end up on Snead's radar.  Dude's a zone corner through and through, but he's got great length (and knows how to use it), really fluid hips.  He's got some creases to iron out; most of the time when he gives up real estate to his assignment it's because of transition issues (he hangs just fine with guys, speed-wise, on tape), a decent portion of which comes from biting on fakes just ahead of the receiver's stem in his route.  IMO that's been more a case of him not trusting his first instincts, because you can almost see him over-correcting and that creating the space (it's where Justin Jefferson owned him most of the day).  But he, realistically, need a season in a pro-level S&C program to add some bulk to his frame anyway so that he can more effectively press-and-bail the way he appears to naturally want to, so there's time to iron out those creases.  It's not a prospect-for-prospect straight-up comp, but I definitely see some Kyle Fuller in his game - and Fuller has had a ton of success in our type of scheme.

Anyone see we met with Utah RB Zack Moss at the combine? One of our few combine interviews.

This one caught me off guard because he would likely be a 3rd or 4th round RB. Not alot of draft capital to be taking another RB early on. 

I feel like if the Rams take another RB, it's gotta be Eno or Joshua Kelley. Kelley creates more through contact, but Eno is very developed in pass pro, much like Moss, and can break your ankles on any given play. Eno has good route-running ability, as well. Josh Kelley has enjoyed a very nice draft season after flying under the radar at UCLA despite being productive every year. He wasn't utilized much as a receiver, but he's looked very nice in that regard at the Senior Bowl and Combine. His HC said that the reason that he wasn't used as a receiver isn't because he can't do it, but more because they liked to keep their backs fresh, and he was the best runner on the team, so they typically gave scat-back duties to someone else.

I also love the fit of Hakeem Adeniji in the mid-to-late rounds in the Rams' scheme. Dude was made for an outside zone scheme, is such a smooth mover. Didn't test super great at the Combine and has trouble dealing with power, but he has great awareness and ability to mirror most speed. He could be an OG or OT candidate with his size and agility, so I feel like he'd be a great fit for Kromer.

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Anyone see we met with Utah RB Zack Moss at the combine? One of our few combine interviews.

This one caught me off guard because he would likely be a 3rd or 4th round RB. Not alot of draft capital to be taking another RB early on. 

May be due-diligence, and Moss didn't test fantastically the other day, so it's plausible that, barring a stellar comeback at his pro day, his stock takes a bit of a hip and he's another of those Snead "didn't run well, but he'll take a discounted flier on him based off his tape" guys.  My bigger concern with him is his meniscus, which has already been repaired once.  But the guy looks like a CJ Anderson clone.

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

I feel like if the Rams take another RB, it's gotta be Eno or Joshua Kelley. Kelley creates more through contact, but Eno is very developed in pass pro, much like Moss, and can break your ankles on any given play. Eno has good route-running ability, as well. Josh Kelley has enjoyed a very nice draft season after flying under the radar at UCLA despite being productive every year. He wasn't utilized much as a receiver, but he's looked very nice in that regard at the Senior Bowl and Combine. His HC said that the reason that he wasn't used as a receiver isn't because he can't do it, but more because they liked to keep their backs fresh, and he was the best runner on the team, so they typically gave scat-back duties to someone else.

Eno's going earlier than we're likely to feel comfortable taking an RB.  He won't make it out of Day 2.  Akers confirmed what I was seeing from him on tape and why I liked him so much, but Eno's right on his heels.  I really feel like the trio of those two and AJ Dillon are going to come down to specific teams' preferred offensive styles.  I can see a team like the Chargers, the Bills, or even the Seachickens taking a real shine to Dillon.  Whereas Benjamin is going to be really popular with offenses like the Texans, Cardinals, and (IMO) Bucs... all of whom can likely be counted on to spend a pick on a runner by the end of Day 2 if they haven't brought a sure-fire starter in via free agency.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Eno's going earlier than we're likely to feel comfortable taking an RB.  He won't make it out of Day 2.  Akers confirmed what I was seeing from him on tape and why I liked him so much, but Eno's right on his heels.  I really feel like the trio of those two and AJ Dillon are going to come down to specific teams' preferred offensive styles.  I can see a team like the Chargers, the Bills, or even the Seachickens taking a real shine to Dillon.  Whereas Benjamin is going to be really popular with offenses like the Texans, Cardinals, and (IMO) Bucs... all of whom can likely be counted on to spend a pick on a runner by the end of Day 2 if they haven't brought a sure-fire starter in via free agency.

You're likely right on Benjamin. He's probably gone by round 4, but a slide IS possible. You're spot on with his fit for the Cardinals... AZFM's Mike Jurecki says that sources with the team are very high on Arizona State prospects Eno and Aiyuk, as well as UofA prospect JJ Taylor.

So what are your thoughts on Joshua Kelley and Hakeem Adeniji? Those are both early day 3 targets in my book, though I could see a team taking Adeniji in the 3rd.

Edited by HoboRocket

18 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

You're likely right on Benjamin. He's probably gone by round 4, but a slide IS possible. You're spot on with his fit for the Cardinals... AZFM's Mike Jurecki says that sources with the team are very high on Arizona State prospects Eno and Aiyuk, as well as UofA prospect JJ Taylor.

So what are your thoughts on Joshua Kelley and Hakeem Adeniji? Those are both early day 3 targets in my book, though I could see a team taking Adeniji in the 3rd.

I'm kind of with @jrry32 when it comes to Kelley - I look at his workouts and I want to like him, but he's got a lot (and I mean A LOT) of underwhelming tape.  If I'm going to take a flier on someone for their athletic upside, I'd sooner take it on someone like Lamical Perine, but i don't know that "more athleticism" is necessarily what we need.  If we're talking about someone to take certain reps off (or in replacement of Gurley eventually), our need is more in the battering ram/finisher type, or else a straight gadget guy that allows McVay to play with the formation and pre-snap adjustments more (i.e. inversion reverses/counters where the guy lines up in the slot, motions, and is the primary on the RPO).