NFL Combine

Doc Draper

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No, I'd take my chance with the best player in the draft. 

I mean, would you have passed on Sean Taylor?

Bc that’s the equivalent to what your thought process is when you say you want to pass on the best prospect in the draft.

Yeah. Cause why would anyone want a spare 1st to grab Aaron Rogers, Demarcus Ware, Jammal Brown and any of those guys.

2005 we sat at 25. Grabbed Campbell. While Rogers went 24.

31 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Yeah. Cause why would anyone want a spare 1st to grab Aaron Rogers, Demarcus Ware, Jammal Brown and any of those guys.

Even worse we Drafted Carlos Rogers 9th and let Aaron slide just to draft a qb later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Come one dude. Let’s just name the best possible outcome of all time! 

Let’s just ignore that we’d be passing on a prospect w/ All-Pro & Defensive Player of the Year potential and we could be drafting Laron Landry @5 , Gabe Carimi @11 and Josh Doctson in the 20s.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Let’s just ignore that we’d be passing on a prospect w/ All-Pro & Defensive Player of the Year potential and we could be drafting Laron Landry @5 , Gabe Carimi @11 and Josh Doctson in the 20s.

Hindsight bias is a bad trap a bunch of people here fall into :/ 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So its okay when a narrative fits what you want. But for anyone else only the negatives apply.

Still a possible outcome regardless. We dont know if Gibbs might have taken Rogers instead of Campbell if he picked a bit sooner. Cause he would be the only soul on earth to take Campbell ahead of him if he did.

15 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

So its okay when a narrative fits what you want. But for anyone else only the negatives apply.

Still a possible outcome regardless. We dont know if Gibbs might have taken Rogers instead of Campbell if he picked a bit sooner. Cause he would be the only soul on earth to take Campbell ahead of him if he did.

I remember reading somewhere that yes, Gibbs would have taken Rodgers. It was years ago, but it stuck.

25 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

It’s really not, I’m just countering your thought that we could have the best draft in NFL history by trading down.

That’s surely possible, but highly unrealistic.

My narrative is Chase Young. I want a defensive rookie of the year candidate and has the potential to be a perennial All-Pro and Defensive Player of the year.

I get that we could get some good players if we trade down and we have several needs but we rarely have a chance to draft a talent like Chase Young. We should not pass on that opportunity. 

The thing is we aren’t close to be a super bowl contender and the best way to become a super bowl contender is to acquire a real game changer and the best talent we can, which is Chase Young in this draft.

We didn’t pass on Sean Taylor - we did pass on JJ Watt - those two decisions changed our franchise.

Next year we’ll probably be picking around #10, when we do, we should take the BPA again. 

Then, we can draft a guy like:

1. Walker Little, OT, Stanford 

2. Patrick Surtain, CB Bama

3. Jamar Chase, WR, LSU

4. Jalen Waddle, WR, Bama

5. DeVonta Smith, Bama

6. Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina

7. Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama

8. Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan 

9. Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma 

10. Richard LeCounte, S, Georgia

And we wonder why Tua was awesome? He had 4 WRs on his team the last two years that are top 15 talents!

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I remember reading somewhere that yes, Gibbs would have taken Rodgers. It was years ago, but it stuck.

Gibbs wanted Campbell. He traded up for Campbell, he thought he was going to be the next Doug Williams. IMO if we had stayed in Gibbs’s offense and not gone to Al Saunders’s west coast offense in 06, Campbell probably would’ve had a better career.

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Gibbs wanted Campbell. He traded up for Campbell, he thought he was going to be the next Doug Williams. IMO if we had stayed in Gibbs’s offense and not gone to Al Saunders’s west coast offense in 06, Campbell probably would’ve had a better career.

All true. I think it was a hindsight thing with Rodgers and how it unfolded. I'm trying to find it. Maybe Cerrato said something about it.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That was the damm problem , Campbell was the next Doug Williams. Williams was awful cept for that Super Bowl MVP game . :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No, I'd take my chance with the best player in the draft. 

I mean, would you have passed on Sean Taylor?

Bc that’s the equivalent to what your thought process is when you say you want to pass on the best prospect in the draft.

I dont see Chase Young effecting the game the way Sean Taylor did. Jusy like Bosa was held to 1 sack in the SuperBowl and still has no championship that could hapoen with the Skins just drafting Chase Young. Oppose to if offererd 3 1st round picks or and you draft 3 different players to fill the wholes in the Team. 

13 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

All true. I think it was a hindsight thing with Rodgers and how it unfolded. I'm trying to find it. Maybe Cerrato said something about it.

I remember being shocked that Aaron Rodgers fell in the draft. I was for sure the 49ers were going to take him #1. At time time I wasn’t really viewing the future QB bc we had just had a good season with Brunnell & we had Ramsey who I still believed Gibbs could develop, I didn’t even want Rodgers at 10 but professional GMs & HCs are supposed to be smarter then me and us, and I should have wanted Rodgers at 10 bc you don’t pass on that type of QB talent who’s an awesome competitor. I didn’t want Carlos Rogers either, I wanted one of the pass rushers, I was all about Shawne Merriman.

Edited by turtle28

12 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

I dont see Chase Young effecting the game the way Sean Taylor did. Jusy like Bosa was held to 1 sack in the SuperBowl and still has no championship that could hapoen with the Skins just drafting Chase Young. Oppose to if offererd 3 1st round picks or and you draft 3 different players to fill the wholes in the Team. 

Yes he will. The most important position on a Defense is a good to great DE/OLB. Front 7 players are the closest to the QB & RB, they have the biggest impact on an offense. And he’s an elite front 7 prospect. Even if he doesn’t get a sack, pressured and QB hits add up, he had 21 tackles for loss - run stuffs behind the line of scrimmage - in 12 games. That’s extremely impressive. 

A pass rusher like Chase covers up mistakes by the secondary bc they’ll put so much pressure on the QB. I definitely agree we aren’t one player away, but we’re not one offseason away from a SB championship either. So, just get the BPA in the draft this year - add a few good free agents - and likely get another top 10 pick next year too. Then, next year or in 2022 we may be a better then average team as long as Haskins progresses.

Wasn’t his sack a strip sack on Mahomes?

It was an awesome game changing play and Chase is more talented/quicker and more athletic then Bosa.

Garapolo coming back off his ACL injury and the drafting of Bosa was a 13 game difference for the 49ers. That’s huge!

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yes he will. The most important position on a Defense is DE/OLB. Front 7 players are the closest to the QB & RB, they have the biggest impact on an offense. And he’s an elite front 7 prospect. Even if he doesn’t get a sack, pressured and QB hits add up, he had 21 tackles for loss - run stuffs behind the line of scrimmage - in 12 games. That’s extremely impressive. 

A pass rusher like Chase covers up mistakes by the secondary bc they’ll put so much pressure on the QB. I definitely agree we aren’t one player away, but we’re not one offseason away from a SB championship either. So, just get the BPA in the draft this year - add a few good free agents - and likely get another top 10 pick next year too. Then, next year or in 2022 we may be a better then average team as long as Haskins progresses.

Wasn’t his sack a strip sack on Mahomes?

It was an awesome game changing play and Chase is more talented/quicker and more athletic then Bosa.

Garapolo coming back off his ACL injury and the drafting of Bosa was a 13 game difference for the 49ers. That’s huge!

Not huge enough to get them the SuperBowl. They Skin's aren't a Chase Young away from the SuperBowl. No doubt he will be a great addition but I stand by accepting 3 1st round draft picks if Miami were to offer that. 

7 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Not huge enough to get them the SuperBowl. They Skin's aren't a Chase Young away from the SuperBowl. No doubt he will be a great addition but I stand by accepting 3 1st round draft picks if Miami were to offer that. 

Did you watch the game? 

If Garapolo played even average in the 4th they win that game. If Kyle didn’t blow another super bowl lead bc he didn’t run the ball more in the 4th, they win it all. Bosa and that D stifled Pat Mahomes and that crazy good Chiefs passing game for almost the entire game but the O couldn’t move the ball in the 4th, Garapolo missed a wide open Emanuel Sanders and they lost.

If Cousins was on the 49ers, they would’ve won the Super Bowl this year. I know you don’t like him, but Kirk would’ve hit a wide open Emanuel Sanders for a TD in the 4th and the 49ers would’ve won the Super Bowl.

I know this isn’t the thread for this, but I heard a crazy idea today that the 49ers & Pats should swap their QBs. Either the Pats can sign and trade Tom Brady to the 49ers and then get Garapolo back and a pick or, the 49ers cut Garapolo and sign Brady the , the 49ers trade Garapolo back to the Pats.

It’s not going to happen, but it would make sense for what both teams need/want at the moment.

Then, Brady can win his super bowl in San Fran - his childhood dream - and he can move his family back to California. 

In 2021 Brady retires and Kyle/Lynch sign Kirk Cousins to be the 49ers starting QB from 2021-27 and they’ll stay Super Bowl contenders.

• Like 2