NFL Combine

Doc Draper

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’d be nice if we could find a guy like him to be our poor man's Jordan Reed and then later on take blocking TE or just keep developing Sprinkle & Hentges in those roles.

Im just as happy to stick with Sprinkle if we couldnt land a guy like Albert or Claypool with amazing speed. I still say that our league leading 2.3 seconds from snap to pass would hamper anyone in that 250lb range. If your not Gronk, your not exploding off the line, getting open and to speed in that amount of time. 2nd place was Cousins at 2.8 seconds before release. Rest of teams avg 3+, allowing TEs some ability to get a route done.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Lipscomb is doing well in drills I've seen him. Smooth. Good hands.

Really? lol.

I was watching this Gauntlet drill thinking the opposite.

I thought his upper body was a bit stiff. His shoulder movement for some reason made me think hed have trouble going up for balls. And he drifts the way hes looking so much. He was over a yard off the line theyre to try to run down strait as possible.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

KJ Hill’s skills translate more to a possession WR. You don't have to he a burner to be a good WR, he's a great route runner, he has quickness, route running ability and strength but not top end speed, just like Kelvin Harmon. I think KJ Hill will be a good reliable NFL receiver that will catch a lot of passes but won't have a lot of explosive plays aka a possession WR.

I don't have a problem taking him in the 6th-7th round where Kelvin Harmon was picked, but I have seen him mocked in the 3rd-4th rounds and I think that is too rich for him. Maybe his agility drills will persuade me because I have not seen those or know if he did those.

20 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Im just as happy to stick with Sprinkle if we couldnt land a guy like Albert or Claypool with amazing speed. I still say that our league leading 2.3 seconds from snap to pass would hamper anyone in that 250lb range. If your not Gronk, your not exploding off the line, getting open and to speed in that amount of time. 2nd place was Cousins at 2.8 seconds before release. Rest of teams avg 3+, allowing TEs some ability to get a route done.

I like Sprinkle like you but there's no doubt we need to draft a TE this year, even if it isn't one of the top prospects.

What’s up with Bryce Hopkins? Did he not participate?

15 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I don't have a problem taking him in the 6th-7th round where Kelvin Harmon was picked, but I have seen him mocked in the 3rd-4th rounds and I think that is too rich for him. Maybe his agility drills will persuade me because I have not seen those or know if he did those.

Yeah, I think he's more of a mid to late guy rather then a mid to high round pick. So like rounds 5-7 rather then 3-4.

Me personally, for guys like him who aren't ”work out warriors,” the tape is so important. Go to the tape, watch him run routes with precision like Terry McLaurin and juke defenders out of their jocks and catch a pass.

His a technician - probably the best in the slot as Doc always said. He's such a great route runner that his lack of top end speed doesn't matter and he has great hands.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I like Sprinkle like you but there's no doubt we need to draft a TE this year, even if it isn't one of the top prospects.

What’s up with Bryce Hopkins? Did he not participate?

He did. But he didnt perform like the others while I was watching.  2nd stringer some place.

If you want a tidbit on this Dayton kid Trautman. His TE coach at Dayton was a science professor trying to work double duty. Hes RAW as can be cause of it they were saying. Because it wasnt the guys full time job to prep players and practice. I found it interesting about him cause he did stand out against guys like Pinkney that received full coaching.

WR Thoughts:

Combine Winners:

Obviously, WR Henry Ruggs crushed it with his forty but he backed it up with his Vertical and Broad Jump.

WR Jalen Raegor - People are gonna be disappointed by his forty time because he was expected to run faster in the 4.3s. I don't think it matters much because he you have to remember he weighs almost 20 more pounds than Henry Ruggs and did really well elsewhere. I think he's a first rounder and he could be a steal later on.

WR Justin Jefferson - He just might of snuck into the first round with his effort tonight. I mean you get to see the difference between him and a highly recruited player in Tee Higgins who sits the combine out.  I wasn't super impressed by his game tape but he earned a fan tonight.

WR Michael Pittman - He has great size and while he didn't do anything elite in drills he managed to have respectable numbers all throughout. Solidified himself for sure in the 3rd round range and wouldn't surprise me if someone picks him in the 2nd or drops to the 4th.

WR Donovan People Jones - Could he be this year's Terry McLaurin or is he more Parris Campbell? Questionable college production, but was highly recruited out of High school and he is highly athletic. 44.5 inch vertical, 11 foot broad jump? whoa.

WR Denzel Mims - I saw a little bit of him last year but here's a situation where he separated himself from the pack in the middle rounds and I'll have to go back and watch what he did this year.

Stock Stayed the same:

Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado - I almost put Shenault in the loser section but he wasn't that bad. He's a hard evaluation on tape and his forty was gonna be interesting. The Result? Indifference. I don't think he's a first rounder though.

Jerry Jeudy WR, Alabama - Jeudy did enough to get by but it would have been nice to see him test slightly better. Should he really be in the top-5 of this draft though?

Ceedee Lamb WR, Oklahoma - Similar to Jeudy; he did enough.. but nothing to get super excited about. He did enough to get drafted in the first half of round 1.

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

He did. But he didnt perform like the others while I was watching.  2nd stringer some place.

If you want a tidbit on this Dayton kid Trautman. His TE coach at Dayton was a science professor trying to work double duty. Hes RAW as can be cause of it they were saying. Because it wasnt the guys full time job to prep players and practice. I found it interesting about him cause he did stand out against guys like Pinkney that received full coaching.

I think it's far too soon to be saying any draft prospect at the NFL combine will never be a starter. These TEs will get to the NFL, get stronger and get better coaching. There are so many TEs who are late round or undrafted players that become good TEs.

I'm never overly concerned bc a guy may not have had a great combine. I don't overreact to the combine ever, it's one piece in 3 or 4 pieces of why you do or don't draft a prospect.

61 recs, 830 yds and 7 Tds in just 11 games for a TE prospect screams out there's something there to be developed and he's a good TE draft prospect to me. He's always been a tough cover.

Taped the combine so I didn’t have to watch all the commercials. 

Agree with a lot of brothers

Some solid guys for mid round tight ends. The ND guy Kmart impressive.2nd round guy. Won’t be there when we pick.

The Stanford kid has barely adequate speed but very impressive in sled and catching drills. 5-6th round guy

Hopkins the Purdue guy vey impressive speed and has dual threat skill. 4th round  good bloodlines too. 

the UCLA kid looked good in all the drills. Except Struggled with the blocking sled. Seems like he’s not a guy who will excel in run game 6th round guy 

Albert O can run, but was below average in other drills. Wouldn’t draft him

LSU other TE- not on my board- blocking is alien to him

If Hopkins is there in 4th or 5th I’d be happy with that pick 

I expect Sprinkle will improve his blocking now that he has a real coach that emphasizes you better block or you don’t play. 

Tight ends group not that impressive but a few guys who are draft worthy with a legitimate chance to be in the league a few years. The ND guy has a chance to be real good and the Purdue guy could develop into our best dual threat TE in a long time 

Edited by Doc Draper

Matt Turks nephew is a beast- 25 reps on bench as a punter. That’s more than two guys who started on our O- line Roullier and Geron. Maybe three but Moses never did the bench press 

this group of wide receivers is the best I’ve seen in a while. 

at QB Love and Herbert will be over drafted before Fromm and Fromm will be better. Some guys will undoubtedly hype Herbert into the top 10 which he’s nowhere near being associated with.. hurts is just so impressive. 

Doc’s top 5 uarterback rankings

Tua, Fromm, Burrows, Hurts, Eason

Going to lmao if somebody drafts Herbert or Love in round 1. 

Edited by Doc Draper

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Anyone know anything more about Ruggs (WR). Just ran a 4.28

I know he said he was gonna run fast fast. Good hands elite speed probably better then his numbers but bama goes 4 wide with a deep deer group that’s all fast, explosive with qualities to bail the QB out

• Like 1