Is Big Ben done?

notthatbluestuff

Gotta tell ya, I really question his heart anymore and I think that's valid. From the "Maybe I don't have it anymore" types of things he's said to his body language and demeanor, even him saying he's coming back next year in my mind seems a little forced, almost like he's trying to go the "I told you so" route. Last few games spread over the course of the end of the season he's had one impressive outing, against the Saints. Alongside benefiting from having Antonio Brown who while a headcase was one of the best if not the best receiver in the league. Can JuJu step up next year as people thought he would this year? If he does it makes things easier.

At this point in his career he's a middle of the road QB which is fine, he's had a hell of a career. The days of him being elite though, probably gone.

38 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Gotta tell ya, I really question his heart anymore and I think that's valid. From the "Maybe I don't have it anymore" types of things he's said to his body language and demeanor, even him saying he's coming back next year in my mind seems a little forced, almost like he's trying to go the "I told you so" route. Last few games spread over the course of the end of the season he's had one impressive outing, against the Saints. Alongside benefiting from having Antonio Brown who while a headcase was one of the best if not the best receiver in the league. Can JuJu step up next year as people thought he would this year? If he does it makes things easier.

At this point in his career he's a middle of the road QB which is fine, he's had a hell of a career. The days of him being elite though, probably gone.

He's always been that way, though.

Even when Ben was peak Ben, and a top 5 QB in the NFL, he was always prone to those dramatic, look-at-me, please love & respect me soundbytes/moments. Just the way dude is...loves attention.

Doesn't take anything away from him as a player, obviously. But Ben loves him some attention lol.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

If his elbow responds well to the surgery, then he has at least 1 or 2 more productive years imo.

If his elbow is permanently damaged, even if it's only a little, I think it will affect him greatly.  He's also had shoulder injuries over the years, and it all may catch up to him.

Basically, it's this.  If he still has his strong throwing arm, he has some time left.  If not, he's done.

On 2/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, Danger said:

Sorry bro, Pats fans are in denial that Tom Brady is falling off the wagon. I've seen nothing of the sort from Ben.

Well Ben is 6 years younger and he looked terrible in his two starts last season.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yes, he's 6 years younger. That's a big reason for it. And 62 pass attempts is not a valid sample size.

Well of course Brady is going to regress before Ben, that was the point I was trying to make lol

It isn't a big sample size, but he legit did look bad and an elbow injury isn't going to help.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elky said:

Well of course Brady is going to regress before Ben, that was the point I was trying to make lol

It isn't a big sample size, but he legit did look bad and an elbow injury isn't going to help.

He looked bad against the hottest defense at the time (Patriots were at an all-time pace to start the season) and both defenses ended the season in the top 10 rating against. As stated the sample size is also problematic when evaluating a player. It's also not abnormal for Ben to start a season slowly. I don't know what he will be like this year because I don't know how he has healed, but nothing from last season should be predictive of his performance this coming season.

Also, if history tells us anything, the presence of this thread means he will be in the running for MVP.

5 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

He looked bad against the hottest defense at the time (Patriots were at an all-time pace to start the season) and both defenses ended the season in the top 10 rating against. As stated the sample size is also problematic when evaluating a player. It's also not abnormal for Ben to start a season slowly. I don't know what he will be like this year because I don't know how he has healed, but nothing from last season should be predictive of his performance this coming season.

Also, if history tells us anything, the presence of this thread means he will be in the running for MVP.

Ben also looked bad in Seattle before getting hurt and Seattle has a poor secondary.

3 minutes ago, Elky said:

Ben also looked bad in Seattle before getting hurt and Seattle has a poor secondary.

Seattle ended the year ranked 9 in passer rating against still. Even if you want to stand by that point, that's now a HALF of a game sample size (15 pass attempts). You can't judge anything off of that.

Ben did not play well against NE, but he was throwing against the best secondary in the NFL. A huge part of his passing attack in that game featured  moncfief who dropped everything and Ryan Switzer who has no YAC ability at all . His numbers would of looked better without those two taking up so many targets. those two wouldn't even crack the Pats WR core

Edited by August4th

I say he is done. Yes he has beaten my Ravens many times, but we’ve beaten him, especially physically. Ben reminds me a lot of Steve McNair in the injuries have been piling up. I don’t think he is going to come back well from the Tommy John. Additionally, not having AB is going to also effect his performance. I could see the Steelers signing Andy Dalton if he gets cut.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:55 AM, Elky said:

He supposedly was having issue with his elbow before the season even started.

I dont know how Ben will be going forward, but no one should be using how he looked in a game and a half last year to predict anything.