Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

27 years old (will turn 28 in September)

6'1" 198lbs

1 career game missed

We may have problems on defense but Byron Jones is, as they say, the least of our worries. He posted a 78.1 passer rating against which is just a slight dip from his elite 2018 season. He defended 433 routes and was targeted 69 times for a target rate of 15.9%. Good enough for 3rd in the league

2019:

Receptions allowed: 9th

Yards allowed: 7th

Yards per target: 2nd

Yards per reception: 12th

Now anyone can agree that those are some impressive stats. The defense wasn't great in 2019 but the numbers suggest it wasn't because of Byron Jones.

Where his numbers look average are interceptions and passes defended. He doesn't have hardly any of either. 0 interceptions and 6 breaks ups(41st in the league).

But that can somewhat be explained by how rarely he is targeted. Remember he is 3rd in the league in target rate. He doesn't get thrown at. I'm not sure who 1st and 2nd place is but I bet they don't have a whole lot of interceptions either. 

Having said that, even when he is targeted he doesn't appear as interested in catching it as he does in swatting it away.

The other knock would be his age. He'll be closer to 28 to start the season than he will be to 27. He has only ever missed 1 game but it was just last season, and he also has a developing hip issue. At 28, 29, 30, and 31 how will he manage to keep posting elite numbers? Also we have an entirely new staff. Who's to say Byron even fits with our new scheme? 

Imo he is to good to let go. Sign him to a 5 year deal with an easy out after 3 or 4 years. Even if the defense is switching up he is such an athlete there has to be a place for him. We haven't touched free agency in years because we wanted to build through the draft and save money so we could sign our own. Well... let's do that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Imo he is to good to let go. Sign him to a 5 year deal with an easy out after 3 or 4 years. Even if the defense is switching up he is such an athlete there has to be a place for him. We haven't touched free agency in years because we wanted to build through the draft and save money so we could sign our own. Well... let's do that.

Franchise and trade.

Edited by eagles suck

Byron is as close to a shut down corner we've had since Deion. In today's game where coverage skills are at a premium, it is vital that we resign him.

Receivers are a dime a dozen now days, and Amari for all the good he's done has not shown he is worth more then a true shutdown corner. If he was better in away games I would be more hesitant but supposedly we can sign all to good deals. But if we had to let one go, I would just say let Amari walk Byron is too valuable.

26 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

My only problem is his age.  He's gonna want a 5-7 year contract.   I dont want to pay him until he's 33-35

A 5 year deal keeps him through 32 years old then he's done

Edited by DaBoys

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

27 years old (will turn 28 in September)

6'1" 198lbs

1 career game missed

We may have problems on defense but Byron Jones is, as they say, the least of our worries. He posted a 78.1 passer rating against which is just a slight dip from his elite 2018 season. He defended 433 routes and was targeted 69 times for a target rate of 15.9%. Good enough for 3rd in the league

2019:

Receptions allowed: 9th

Yards allowed: 7th

Yards per target: 2nd

Yards per reception: 12th

Now anyone can agree that those are some impressive stats. The defense wasn't great in 2019 but the numbers suggest it wasn't because of Byron Jones.

Where his numbers look average are interceptions and passes defended. He doesn't have hardly any of either. 0 interceptions and 6 breaks ups(41st in the league).

But that can somewhat be explained by how rarely he is targeted. Remember he is 3rd in the league in target rate. He doesn't get thrown at. I'm not sure who 1st and 2nd place is but I bet they don't have a whole lot of interceptions either. 

Having said that, even when he is targeted he doesn't appear as interested in catching it as he does in swatting it away.

The other knock would be his age. He'll be closer to 28 to start the season than he will be to 27. He has only ever missed 1 game but it was just last season, and he also has a developing hip issue. At 28, 29, 30, and 31 how will he manage to keep posting elite numbers? Also we have an entirely new staff. Who's to say Byron even fits with our new scheme? 

Keep Byron and let Amari walk.

We had a top offense last year and didnt make playoffs.

2 years ago our defense played great and we went to the divisional round.

Who do we have on our roster to replace Byron?

At least with Amari, we have Gallup, can re-sign Cobb, look at Dez and draft a rookie receiver in a loaded draft class.

All of that said without having to even mention that Amari disappears (a big reason the Raiders let him go) and he is soft.

I don't know why it has to be either or...

16 for Byron Jones

17 for Amari

That's 33. According to over the cap we have 77.3 in capsace.

We get 9 more by cutting Crawford.

86 - 33 = 53.....

PUHlenty of room to overpay Dak. Dak could take 35 and we would have 18 left for Quinn and rookies. Maybe a value DT in FA.

I don't see the problem.

• Like 1

Sign him up.

1 hour ago, CAPJ said:

Keep Byron and let Amari walk.

If push came to shove this is what I'm doing as well. 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I don't know why it has to be either or..

Read an article few days ago that Dallas can get up to $120m in cap space if truly needed. Some of the moves necessary to get to that point were pretty questionable, but the possibility still remains

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Sign him up.

If push came to shove this is what I'm doing as well. 

Read an article few days ago that Dallas can get up to $120m in cap space if truly needed. Some of the moves necessary to get to that point were pretty questionable, but the possibility still remains

Per OverTheCap.com, the Cowboys could restructure DeMarcus Lawrence and save $12 million, Zack Martin and save $8 million, Tyron Smith and save $7 million, or La’el Collins and save $4.5 million.

That's 31.5 million to add to the 77.3 they already have. 108.8 plus another $12mil for cutting Crawford and Flemming.

So that's 120.8 

Dak at 50 Amari, Byron and Quinn at 20 each is 110.

I don't see a problem 

• Like 1

Here's the article. It's actually two....

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/could-the-cowboys-really-create-120m-of-nfl-cap-space

9 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Per OverTheCap.com, the Cowboys could restructure DeMarcus Lawrence and save $12 million, Zack Martin and save $8 million, Tyron Smith and save $7 million, or La’el Collins and save $4.5 million.

That's 31.5 million to add to the 77.3 they already have. 108.8 plus another $12mil for cutting Crawford and Flemming.

So that's 120.8 

Dak at 50 Amari, Byron and Quinn at 20 each is 110.

I don't see a problem 

I don't see an issue either tbh, but it does go against the grain of what Dallas has been practicing as pointed out in the reading. At some point though, that practice probably falls to the wayside of getting over the hump. At least one would hope that it will.

• Like 1