Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

You can easily sign Dak to a 35m/year deal, Quinn to a 7-10m/year deal, Franchise Cooper and then re-sign Jones to a 15-17m/year deal The cap hit doesn't have to be tremendous in the first year which will spread the loot of it throughout the contract depending on how you want to structure it. If you were to restructure Martin's deal and cut Tyrone Crawford it would open your cap to what you would need to be about as active as we have been in years past. 

I remember when the Cowboys fan base was over the moon with Terence Newman who himself didn't get many turnovers in his career but in the prime of it shut down his man. Byron hasn't been a corner for very long give him some time he will turn around. If Dallas decided to keep Jones on the team it would also open up more possibilities to draft Cooper's replacement in the 1st round or find something else to do to sure up this roster rather than needing to draft a corner early possibly as early as the 1st round. How mad would most fans be if someone like Kinlaw, Brown, Lamb, Jeudy fell to Dallas at 17 and Dallas felt required to draft a CB because they are so thin at the position.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JWingate said:

You can easily sign Dak to a 35m/year deal, Quinn to a 7-10m/year deal, Franchise Cooper and then re-sign Jones to a 15-17m/year deal The cap hit doesn't have to be tremendous in the first year which will spread the loot of it throughout the contract depending on how you want to structure it. If you were to restructure Martin's deal and cut Tyrone Crawford it would open your cap to what you would need to be about as active as we have been in years past. 

I remember when the Cowboys fan base was over the moon with Terence Newman who himself didn't get many turnovers in his career but in the prime of it shut down his man. Byron hasn't been a corner for very long give him some time he will turn around. If Dallas decided to keep Jones on the team it would also open up more possibilities to draft Cooper's replacement in the 1st round or find something else to do to sure up this roster rather than needing to draft a corner early possibly as early as the 1st round. How mad would most fans be if someone like Kinlaw, Brown, Lamb, Jeudy fell to Dallas at 17 and Dallas felt required to draft a CB because they are so thin at the position.

That would be so us.

Let Byron Jones go and draft a CB 1st round. That's our plan to improve this offseason. Create a hole then fill it.

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

That would be so us.

Let Byron Jones go and draft a CB 1st round. That's our plan to improve this offseason. Create a hole then fill it.

This is honestly my worst fear. Treading water to the fullest.

If we let Jones walk, I want nothing less than a first round CB this year. De-prioritize the position, full stop, get better everywhere else, see if you can get by with a Day 2 rookie + midrange vet to push Chido.

34 minutes ago, JWingate said:

Quinn to a 7-10m/year deal

If you get Quinn to re-sign for $7-10m/yr, you are nothing short of the greatest salesman of all time. 

35 minutes ago, JWingate said:

How mad would most fans be if someone like Kinlaw, Brown, Lamb, Jeudy fell to Dallas at 17 and Dallas felt required to draft a CB because they are so thin at the position.

This would be truly mind numbing if it happened this way. Which I don't believe it would at all, but I get where you're going with it. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

If you get Quinn to re-sign for $7-10m/yr, you are nothing short of the greatest salesman of all time. 

This would be truly mind numbing if it happened this way. Which I don't believe it would at all, but I get where you're going with it. 

Robert Quinn was our best DL last year. And he plays opposite of a guy making $25m/yr... We need to come to grips with the idea that he is gone. We need the CBA to get resolved so that we can get Gregory back. That guy still plays for peanuts.. Wishful thinking.

2 hours ago, JWingate said:

Newman both took on #1 WRs and also was the most athletic person on the field. And yes, I know, Jones is also crazy athletic. But he has never been as good as peak Newman. Terrance was still the most athletic player on the Vikings when he was like 35 years old. 

46 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This kinda proves my point. Jones plays RCB exclusively. So these match ups are because the opposing team didnt fear him. And yes, I do understand this disproves what I said. 

I don’t think this is out of ability. I think Jones can shadow a WR and shut him down. I don’t think Garrett, Marinelli wanted to do that. They wanted to over simplify the game which hurt us in the long run.

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

If Quinn doesn’t take 7-10m then he can leave. I’m fine with that. I’ll figure out our pass rush from there. Gives me more money to go get someone else.

28 minutes ago, JWingate said:

If Quinn doesn’t take 7-10m then he can leave. I’m fine with that. I’ll figure out our pass rush from there. Gives me more money to go get someone else.

Who are you rolling the dice on in FA or on roster to produce like/close to Quinn and getting them for that asking price?

Byron Jones is better than any corner we can get in the draft. Okudah could be better but we would have to give up 2-3 draft picks to move up and pick a rookie who is going to cost more money than he is worth his rookie year. If you can get a premier safety then let him walk, if you keep Quinn let him walk, if you can get a stud DT let him walk. Only problem with any of the prior statement is that you will create a hole(even if it is just RCB) and we will be weaker for it. Chris Jones, Jamal Adams and Clowney would be a few I would let him walk for but without an elite pass rush we will struggle worse on D than we did this year.