Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Who are you rolling the dice on in FA or on roster to produce like/close to Quinn and getting them for that asking price?

I don’t even know if Quinn will replicate his production last season, but I would take a shot at a player like Shaq Lawson. I’d give him 7-8m/year to see if it works.

I’m not paying top CB money to a guy who can’t force turnovers. Great cover corner or not (which was only for 2 seasons), he has no ball skills whatsoever. If you can’t turn your head around and get INTs, then you aren’t worth the money. All it does is give the QB another down and opportunity to beat the defense another way.

4 hours ago, Northland said:

So we are letting Jones walk.  What's the plan for finding his replacement?  Are we going the free agent route, or are we being forced to pick a CB at 17?  Will we end up doing both?

I wouldn’t do either. I’d use a day 2 pick on a CB if the value is there, but I wouldn’t force a 1st round pick on the position. Someone will fall.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:45 AM, DaBoys said:

Here is what I see. 

77m in cap space.

Restructure Zack Martin for $8m, cut Crawford for $8m, and cut Flemming for $4m. 

Those are easy moves imo that put us at a little over $97m

Pay Dak his $35

Pay Amari his $17

Pay Byron his $16

That's $68

97 - 68 = 29

So we have $29m left after signing our own. We could easily get Quinn for 12 or 13. Leaving $16 or $17m for a free agent DT and rookie pool.

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to afford Byron, when the money suggests we can get all Dak, Amari, Byron, Quinn, AND have enough for a $10m a year free agent and a rookie pool.

And that's with just ONE restructure 

What am I missing here? You are spending all our cap space on a handful of players and rookie pool. Don't we have like 30 free agents and how do we replace them with all the money spent?

2 hours ago, WittWareTNew said:

What am I missing here? You are spending all our cap space on a handful of players and rookie pool. Don't we have like 30 free agents and how do we replace them with all the money spent?

I am pretty sure that is the exact argument against making Dak the highest paid person in the nfl

6 hours ago, WittWareTNew said:

That is looking at it as if his first year cap hit is going to be the contracts average. Most likely it’s going to be must lower than the average. In that scenario I would guess we would have around 35-38m in cap space.

5 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Another thing to remember is that Jourdan Lewis isn’t some schlub. He also forces turnovers.

I'm good with him keeping his job in the slot. But, after we let Jones walk, I would really like to see us find some competition for Awuzie on top of finding a new RCB