Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

39 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Agreed, but I wouldn’t force a 1st round pick on it if the value isn’t there.

Indeed, hence the "I would like to see" phrasing. Finding two new perimeter CBs may not be in the cards with all the work we have to do rebuilding the DL

18 hours ago, WittWareTNew said:

What am I missing here? You are spending all our cap space on a handful of players and rookie pool. Don't we have like 30 free agents and how do we replace them with all the money spent?

You are missing that we would still have 29m in space which is perfectly normal for the amount of activity we usually have during the FA period and more than a bunch of other teams 

Edited by DaBoys

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

A lot of rumblings linking the Raiders to Jones. Can you tell me more about him? Strengths and weaknesses?

Weaknesses-

2 INTs in 5 years

Plays one side, doesn’t shadow (at least the last two years. We literally played him everywhere on defense before that so I don’t buy that he’s exclusively an RCB, that’s not supported by his whole body of work)

Not the world’s most physical tackler

Doesn't sell jerseys

Stregths-

Literally one of the most consistent, effective man-to-man CBs in the league. Up there with Harris, Hayward, and Sherman as the least targeted CBs in football. QBs do not even look in his direction for the most part

Provides 0 bulletin board material/clickbait fodder. Shuts up and does his job, point blank

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

Just now, matt79511 said:

Literally one of the most consistent, effective man-to-man CBs in the league. Up there with Harris, Hayward, and Sherman as the least targeted CBs in football. QBs do not even look in his direction for the most part

Provides 0 bulletin board material. Shuts up and does his job, point blank

I would also add durable to his list of strengths. Has missed 1 game in 5 years.

• Like 1

Just now, DaBoys said:

I would also add durable to his list of strengths. Has missed 1 game in 5 years.

Right, I was trying to wrap that up in “consistent”. Between his clean bill of health and absurd athleticism, he’s about as risk-free of a late-20’s free agent target there is. There’s no reason to think he won’t still be good at 31-32

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I think this is a big mistake. Now the Cowboys are going to do something crazy like trade the farm for Okudah, and really think they did something this off season. 

You hate to reduce everything to that second Philly game but...

I like having a CB who says nothing when the ball isn’t going his way more than I like having a WR who does the same thing