Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

Restructuring D-Law is a no-no for me. His deal was clearly written to be like Dez’s with an escape hatch after three years. We’re gonna need it if he doesn’t get back to his 2017-18 production

With that being said, we easily can get out of any contract currently on the books by 2022 besides Zeke’s (lol), and even his if he gets another suspension. So I don’t get why you wouldn’t try to make deals that mitigate guys like Byron’s cap hits in the first two years.

It feels like a moot point though. Byron’s gone. And as much as I like him, at $16-17M/yr, I get it. Let’s just hope that he doesn’t... well... you know

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Explain

Ill expand on that... signing byron jones to a 16 million contract considering all the holes in our defense is a lack of resource management for the salary cap.

Draft a corner and invest in the trenches.

We waana sign Dak & Coop, while just getting zeke and jaylon and lawrence and La'el signed?

someones gotta go. He is a great player but he's does not get takeaways. Thats of no use to us.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

2 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

someones gotta go. He is a great player but he's does not get takeaways. Thats of no use to us.

Having a CB who shuts down his side of the field is only useless if the rest of your defense is so exploitable that he truly can be ignored. And, to be fair, that is sort of the case here. We’re gonna put the money it would cost to keep him and Quinn to get 4-5 useful players on the FA market and that’s probably for the best.

But, I’m sorry, Byron’s skillset is only less useful than Zeke’s or Jaylon’s in terms of jersey sales. There haven’t been 5 CBs better than him in the last two years in pure man-to-man coverage on the outside. That’s so much more valuable than how well you pass block as an RB or how hard you hit people as an LB.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Having a CB who shuts down his side of the field is only useless if the rest of your defense is so exploitable that he truly can be ignored. And, to be fair, that is sort of the case here. We’re gonna put the money it would cost to keep him and Quinn to get 4-5 useful players on the FA market and that’s probably for the best.

But, I’m sorry, Byron’s skillset is only less useful than Zeke’s or Jaylon’s in terms of jersey sales. There haven’t been 5 CBs better than him in the last two years in pure man-to-man coverage on the outside. That’s so much more valuable than how well you pass block as an RB or how hard you hit people as an LB.

why not just invest in FA on the trenches?

I've noticed recently we have a habit of steering clear of big name FA pass rushers that's not on our team. Why not purse that instead? for 16m we can get a pretty good pass rusher.

13 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

why not just invest in FA on the trenches?

I've noticed recently we have a habit of steering clear of big name FA pass rushers that's not on our team. Why not purse that instead? for 16m we can get a pretty good pass rusher.

Well, we do have more $ invested into our OL than any team ever. And that’s money well spent, as far as I’m concerned. No qualms about that.

I don’t think competing to sign guys on the top of the free agent pass rusher market is smart business. Those dudes get *paid.* Most top DEs never even come close to hitting the market. $16M/year doesn’t even buy you Trey Flowers. It’s better to strike gold with Quinn or Shaq Barrett on a one-year deal, if you can- or rather, identify who this year’s Quinn or Barrett will be, because those guys are about to break the bank.

Dallas is in a tough spot, no doubt about it. From a cap and culture standpoint, it makes more sense to “blow it up” (in terms of letting guys walk in FA) than just re-sign everyone, but the roster talent will most likely be worse next year taking that approach.

Edited by matt79511

4 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Ill expand on that... signing byron jones to a 16 million contract considering all the holes in our defense is a lack of resource management for the salary cap.

Draft a corner and invest in the trenches.

We waana sign Dak & Coop, while just getting zeke and jaylon and lawrence and La'el signed?

Here is what I see. 

77m in cap space.

Restructure Zack Martin for $8m, cut Crawford for $8m, and cut Flemming for $4m. 

Those are easy moves imo that put us at a little over $97m

Pay Dak his $35

Pay Amari his $17

Pay Byron his $16

That's $68

97 - 68 = 29

So we have $29m left after signing our own. We could easily get Quinn for 12 or 13. Leaving $16 or $17m for a free agent DT and rookie pool.

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to afford Byron, when the money suggests we can get all Dak, Amari, Byron, Quinn, AND have enough for a $10m a year free agent and a rookie pool.

And that's with just ONE restructure 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to afford Byron, when the money suggests we can get all Dak, Amari, Byron, Quinn, AND have enough for a $10m a year free agent and a rookie pool.

And that's with just ONE restructure 

I would rather not restructure but sign our guys and run a good draft.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I don't see us spending big in free agency. We got a new coaching staff, but McClay, SJ, and co. are still here. They are the ones who hate to get involved in free agency. I don't think that changes.

SJ especially. He knows better then anyone what reckless FA moves can do to your team. 

8 minutes ago, TVScout said:

I would rather not restructure but sign our guys and run a good draft.

The restructure only saved us 8. So we can do it without a restructure. We just have 2m for a FA DT Instead of 10.

Which is probably more up our alley anyway 

Here's what doesn't make sense to my albeit simple mind.  We hire McCarthy and his all star staff because this team is close and he is the coach to get us to take the next step.  How can we take that step if we are willing to let key free agents walk?   So either they are working behind the scenes massaging the cap some more, or they have a strong plan b in place.  It would seem counter productive to hand the keys over to McCarthy and then lose key contributors on an already suspect defense.  If that defense loses Jones and Quinn I don't think our offense will compensate or carry the club.