Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

10 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

That sums up his game quite well. But, Byron Jones is the same player. ZERO ball skills.

IMO, if we are trading up for a player in the first, it should be a qb or an absolute game changer.  Young, Simmons, Brown, and maybe Kinlaw are the ones that qualify.   I still feel the price is way too high.   I'd rather wait and see if someone drops.   Look for a good deal to drop down if not, and consider moving up in the 2-4th rds, where the price is more reasonable.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

That sums up his game quite well. But, Byron Jones is the same player. ZERO ball skills.

Perfectly fine with me. You cant have everything with a player. So if I have a CB who allows among the fewest completions on receivers he covers then I'm not going to complain. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Perfectly fine with me. You cant have everything with a player. So if I have a CB who allows among the fewest completions on receivers he covers then I'm not going to complain. 

Exactly. And, while he may not have gotten the picks desired, he came thru when his man was targeted. 

Obviously it would be nice if some of those ended as picks for field position, but lets not act like this is chicken scratch either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

IMO, if we are trading up for a player in the first, it should be a qb or an absolute game changer.  Young, Simmons, Brown, and maybe Kinlaw are the ones that qualify.   I still feel the price is way too high.   I'd rather wait and see if someone drops.   Look for a good deal to drop down if not, and consider moving up in the 2-4th rds, where the price is more reasonable.   

I’ll never support trading up for a DB. Ever. So, if we move up, it should be for a d-lineman (DE or DT) or hybrid LB (like Simmons) since we’re not taking a QB.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

I’m not resetting the market for that, though.

Why not? And while technically we would be, the CBA is just around the corner giving us more wiggle room to work with Cooper and Dak. As far as I am concerned if anyone deserved to set the market it would have been Byron.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, Calvert28 said:

Why not? And while technically we would be, the CBA is just around the corner giving us more wiggle room to work with Cooper and Dak. As far as I am concerned if anyone deserved to set the market it would have been Byron.

I'm not setting the market for 6 passes defended and 0 ints. I'd rather sign Clowney, and sign a mid level CB, or just draft one, and if Kinlaw fell to #17 that would be something. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I'm not setting the market for 6 passes defended and 0 ints. I'd rather sign Clowney, and sign a mid level CB, or just draft one, and if Kinlaw fell to #17 that would be something. 

Oh yea Clowney? 3 sacks and has never gone over 10 sacks in his entire career? That kind of play maker?

I mean a CB who is doing his job efficiently should never have his name called. People want splash playing but a handful of INT's does not overcome the value of being among the lowest allowed receptions in football. It sounds as if you guys would prefer a Marcus Peters who allows as many or more TD's then INT's just because its a splash play.

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Clowny is so supremely overrated. Quinn has had a better career than Clowney. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Clowny is so supremely overrated. Quinn has had a better career than Clowney. 

Not opposed to re-signing Quinn, but he is 30, and it would have to be reasonable and No more than 3 years.  I just meant in general I'd rather spend heavily on Dline than CB, especially when a guy doesnt give us extra possessions and can be avoided.   

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Oh yea Clowney? 3 sacks and has never gone over 10 sacks in his entire career? That kind of play maker?

I mean a CB who is doing his job efficiently should never have his name called. People want splash playing but a handful of INT's does not overcome the value of being among the lowest allowed receptions in football. It sounds as if you guys would prefer a Marcus Peters who allows as many or more TD's then INT's just because its a splash play.

Clowney had 3 Passes Defensed in 2019. Only 3 less than Jones

3 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Clowney had 3 Passes Defensed in 2019. Only 3 less than Jones

Good for him. So in a age where the rules favor the offense so heavily does that mean Clowney is going to cover the team's No.1 WR the entire game. 

Just heard a talking head say the Raiders are ready to roll out the red carpet for Byron in Sin City. He then insinuates it's because they have just over 55 million in space.

I'm thinking... man... the Cowboys have 77 and ways to get more... I just don't get it

All this talk of tagging Dak or tagging Amari, why not tag Byron Jones? If you are unsure about him being the guy for the next 5 years and the Cowboys obviously are, then tag him unexclusive. We have the money this year, and he'll be off the books next. You get one more year of play, or maybe a team gets froggy and we negotiate a trade. I just don't think a late 3rd or 4th round comp pick that we may or may not get is the right ROI. 

Maybe the Cowboys know something about his hip that we don't. I don't know. I just feel like we continually and annually let our unwanted good players waltz into FA while other teams are selling theirs for profit.

• Like 1