Would you retain Byron Jones for $16m per?

DaBoys

Should the Cowboys sign Byron?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Byron

• Yes sign him. We can't afford to get worse on defense
    • No, let him walk. We can't afford him at that price at his age.

4 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Some teams/units are led usually by one elite player. If Byron Jones who is the leader of our secondary literally never gets picks what kind of message does that send to the DB room?

We always build through the draft anyways. It's nothing we haven't been doing as usual. 

You can remake a solid DB group in 2 off-seasons if you nail your picks right.

Building through the draft requires that you retain your drafted talent if they do well. Taking care of your in house FAs that you drafted IS building through the draft. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Building through the draft requires that you retain your drafted talent if they do well. Taking care of your in house FAs that you drafted IS building through the draft. 

And one cycle of good drafting has come to an end. We can't retain everybody. We blew our window which was the last 2 years. Now we have to reload again.

4 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

And one cycle of good drafting has come to an end. We can't retain everybody. We blew our window which was the last 2 years. Now we have to reload again.

We CAN retain everybody because we haven't spent in FA in years. Mathematically it is totally possible to sign our own.

Building through the draft doesn't mean cycling rookie contracts. It means building your team with your own draft picks and retaining the in house FAs that do well. You can't build a team by letting your draft picks walk every 4 years. That's not how it works.

Letting Byron go and signing a cheaper FA is the opposite of building through the draft.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

We CAN retain everybody because we haven't spent in FA in years. Mathematically it is totally possible to sign our own.

Building through the draft doesn't mean cycling rookie contracts. It means building your team with your own draft picks and retaining the in house FAs that do well. You can't build a team by letting your draft picks walk every 4 years. That's not how it works.

Letting Byron go and signing a cheaper FA is the opposite of building through the draft.

Building through the draft REQUIRES you to sign the free agents you have DRAFTED. Otherwise you have a crappy team continually with an average age below 28-29 all the time. Not saying we should or should not retain him but he is our draft so we have built through the draft and resigning him solidifies that statement not nullifies it. 

Not meaning your post DaBoys, just quoting the last. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

That we haven’t drafted as well since 2016 is part of the reason we can/should pay Byron. There aren’t a whole lot of guys in our last three drafts that appear to warrant second contracts

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

How did the Bears do with Rod in the INT department? 

LOL. Finished 4th, 6th(?) and 1st....

So it's not RM, it's every DB for team that just suddenly lost their every ability to make a play on the ball. Must be something in the water in Dallas.

Guess that's why we'll start over again with a clean slate soon. Hopefully they get rid of all of them....well, except Heath. He's the only one who has consistently done anything of value from a takeaway point.  

Edited by WizardHawk

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-cowboys-have-spent-the-least-on-payroll-since-2016-why-cash-trumps-cap-new-cba-and-more/

Okay, are you ready? Here are the actual bottom spenders, culled from NFLPA salary numbers, over that span (rounded to the nearest thousand).

Cowboys: $634,379,000
Texans: $646,479,000
Bills: $648,442,000
Colts: $654,999,000
Chargers: $658,299,000
Ravens: $678,220,000
Browns: $687,708,000

So what's the moral of this story?

Cowboys fans, don't believe the hype about trouble keeping Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper and Byron Jones and anyone else. It's beyond time for the Cowboys to be writing checks left and right. The posterboys for marketing and sales revenue spent $134M less than the tiny-market Jaguars over the past four years. Let the shopping begin in The Big D

• Like 4

So we are going to assume peak & prime Byron Jones is suddenly going to turn into a ball hawk even though he has never showed any indication of being one? 

How does not getting turnovers help our team exactly? What happens when he shuts down half the field as usual but our offense can’t catch a break and keeps Going 3 and out? Let’s all not pretend we haven’t seen this story a million times the past couple seasons.

Spending 16 million down the drain on a DB with no nose for the ball while honestly his talent at this point will be decreasing because he at his prime right now are the same type of decisions that set this franchise in cap hell for years.

If you guys want perspective how long it took to fix that here’s it:

JG took over when I started HS, we were fixing the cap since of recent years which is maybe 2-3 years ago. I’m graduated college now and working full time at 25.

yeah let’s not mess up that cap again.

There is a reason free agency exists, Byron Jones and his lack of takeaways doesn’t make sense for us right now. He will be a great piece for another team who already can take away the ball well but needs a CB1 that can take away the field but they don’t expect him to be Deion sanders or anything.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

14 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

So we are going to assume peak & prime Byron Jones is suddenly going to turn into a ball hawk even though he has never showed any indication of being one? 

How does not getting turnovers help our team exactly? What happens when he shuts down half the field as usual but our offense can’t catch a break and keeps Going 3 and out? Let’s all not pretend we haven’t seen this story a million times the past couple seasons.

Spending 16 million down the drain on a DB with no nose for the ball while honestly his talent at this point will be decreasing because he at his prime right now are the same type of decisions that set this franchise in cap hell for years.

JG took over when I started HS, we were fixing the cap since of recent years which is maybe 2-3 years ago. I’m graduated college now and working full time at 25.

There is a reason free agency exists, Byron Jones and his lack of takeaways doesn’t make sense for us right now. He will be a great piece for another team who already can take away the ball well but needs a CB1 that can take away the field but they don’t expect him to be Deion sanders or anything.

Do you realize how many terrible signings the Eagles made under Chip Kelly in 2015, only for them all to be gone in two years and for Howie Roseman to double down on a new batch of FAs and win the SB? And now they're going to sign Byron away from us, after paying their QB (and beating us for the division with their practice squad)?

The Cowboys have been "cleaning up their cap" for the last nine years and we have two playoff wins to show for it. Something doesn't add up here. Players aren't as hoodwinked as you are, their agents are well aware of the information I just linked and feed it to them. The absurd incongruity between our team's spending habits under Stephen (32nd place since 2016) and its actual revenue (more than double some of the teams that outspend us) is not conducive to a positive culture.

Let's not mess up that cap again, though. Priorities

28 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

So when is Dak going to turn into a runner and be a true dual threat QB like Jackson? I mean he got alot of passing TDs this year but when is he going to start making run TDs? 

How bout Zeke? I mean we all know he can run but the true threats of the backfield do alot of receiving this day in age. I mean like at Kamara, Barkley, McCaffery. 

Or lastly Cooper. I mean we all know he can play home games really well but when are we going to start seeing him at away games? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Do you realize how many terrible signings the Eagles made under Chip Kelly in 2015, only for them all to be gone in two years and for Howie Roseman to double down on a new batch of FAs and win the SB? And now they're going to sign Byron away from us, after paying their QB (and beating us for the division with their practice squad)?

The Cowboys have been "cleaning up their cap" for the last nine years and we have two playoff wins to show for it. Something doesn't add up here. Players aren't as hoodwinked as you are, their agents are well aware of the information I just linked and feed it to them. The absurd incongruity between our team's spending habits under Stephen (32nd place since 2016) and its actual revenue (more than double some of the teams that outspend us) is not conducive to a positive culture.

I’ve said for years that Jerry cares much more about making money than he does winning, and people kept challenging my statement and openly insulting me for making it. Well, I was proven right. The Jones family doesn’t care about winning. That’s the constant.

54 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I’ve said for years that Jerry cares much more about making money than he does winning, and people kept challenging my statement and openly insulting me for making it. Well, I was proven right. The Jones family doesn’t care about winning. That’s the constant.

I don’t think it’s that simple.  Jerry really does care about winning so long as he gets most of the credit.  Also that stat doesn’t really say it all.  In 2019 we were around 22nd in total spending based on cap. KC spent 20 thousand more SF 20 thousand LESS.   Hardly much difference but it does show spending more is not always the answer and never really is in the NFL.  In fact I can’t think of one team lately that dumped a to. In money in FA and turned that into a super bowl win.   It has always been about how the teams play in December/January

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I want to hear Dallas explain this. It's one thing to be careful with spending.  It's another to be dead last in payroll spent since 2016. It really lends credence to the argument that all Jerry cares about is revenue.  If the tickets are sold and the stadium is full that's all that matters.  If the profits are flowing in who cares?

11 minutes ago, Northland said:

I want to hear Dallas explain this. It's one thing to be careful with spending.  It's another to be dead last in payroll spent since 2016. It really lends credence to the argument that all Jerry cares about is revenue.  If the tickets are sold and the stadium is full that's all that matters.  If the profits are flowing in who cares?

Jerry "well how the hell else do you expect me to pay for that yacht?!"

• Like 1