Joe Burrow may force his way out of the Cincinnati Bengals

DigInBoys

I guess I don’t like the fact that he used the word “leverage.” It sounds like he’s got a big ego already. 

If I were Burrow, I’d be saying, “I want to be the #1 pick. I’m the best player in the draft and the Bengals would be crazy to pass on me.”

Not spewing some garbage about the leverage I have with my draft negotiations. It just seems weird to me.

You know there is a 99.9% chance you’re going to Cinci. Why would you not play the P.R. game and say it’s a “perfect dream scenario”? I feel like his agent should have guided him more wisely. 

But when it’s all said and done, the Bengals will draft him #1 and he’ll remain there for a very long time, carving out a great, yet unspectacular, career. That’s my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Probably been watching longer than you've been alive...

The only example we have of a #1 pick going into specifics of what team he does or doesn't want to play for is Eli and San Diego, and all you had to do was watch that painfully awkward situation play out to realize NOBODY wanted to be there at that moment. 

If this isn't awkward to you, then you don't understand what awkward is. 

Joe Burrow is a 23 year old man who just led his team to the NCAA Championship and is going to be the consensus #1 pick in the draft.

He's not a 14 year old freshman in high school.

A. It wouldn't be awkward.

B. I'm pretty sure the potential of that situation being awkward is the absolute last thing on his mind with everything that is/will happen regardless of where he ends up.

It's like Eisenhower worrying about what they were having for breakfast on the morning of D Day.

The notion itself is insignificant.

Edited by DigInBoys

6 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Joe Burrow is a 23 year old man who just lead his team to the NCAA Championship and is going to be the consensus #1 pick in the draft.

He's not a 15 year old freshman in high school.

It wouldn't be awkward.

...and Eli was a 15 year old freshman? No, he was a 2nd generation NFL QB who had a very successful brother already playing in the NFL.

Yet, tell me that entire exchange was nothing short of cringe worthy.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

...and Eli was a 15 year old freshman? No, he was a 2nd generation NFL QB who had a very successful brother already playing in the NFL.

Yet, tell me that entire exchange was nothing short of cringe worthy.

I must have missed the part where Eli went Ryan Leaf on us.

It's not going to affect Burrow mentally and IF IT DID, then he doesn't have what it takes anyway.

Edited by DigInBoys

13 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

B. I'm pretty sure the potential of that situation being awkward is the absolute last thing on his mind with everything that is/will happen regardless of where he ends up.

It's not just that individual moment - it's the entire narrative the media can/will spin it into.

Think about it - we are two months away from the draft, and the media took quotes from Carson Palmer, Steve Bartowski and some evasive comments from Joe Burrow, and the conclusion that's been developed is that Burrow may force a situation. 

Is there anything concrete that we can point to, or is this drama for the sake of drama? Don't we see this in some capacity every single draft season, or is this unique to Joe Burrow?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DigInBoys said:

I must have missed the part where Eli went Ryan Leaf on us.

eli-chargers-nfl-draft-06-27-16.jpg

Yeah, that's the face of someone who was just made a multi millionaire at that moment...does he look excited at being the #1 pick of the NFL draft, or does he look like he'd rather be anywhere else?

This image right here is the definition of awkward. Nobody on the left of Tags wanted to be there, Olivia looks like she's about to kill every single Spanos family member.

But no, they're totes having a blast up there.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's not just that individual moment - it's the entire narrative the media can/will spin it into.

Think about it - we are two months away from the draft, and the media took quotes from Carson Palmer, Steve Bartowski and some evasive comments from Joe Burrow, and the conclusion that's been developed is that Burrow may force a situation. 

Is there anything concrete that we can point to, or is this drama for the sake of drama? Don't we see this in some capacity every single draft season, or is this unique to Joe Burrow?

No, this is unique to the fact that the Cincinnati Bengals have the #1 pick.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

eli-chargers-nfl-draft-06-27-16.jpg

Yeah, that's the face of someone who was just made a multi millionaire at that moment...does he look excited at being the #1 pick of the NFL draft, or does he look like he'd rather be anywhere else?

This image right here is the definition of awkward. Nobody on the left of Tags wanted to be there, Olivia looks like she's about to kill every single Spanos family member.

But no, they're totes having a blast up there.

A player unhappy with being drafted by a bad organization who subsequently forced his way out.

Gee, wonder where anyone ever got the notion that Burrow wouldn't want to play for the Bengals?

Edited by DigInBoys

1 minute ago, DigInBoys said:

A player unhappy with being drafted by a bad organization who subsequently forced his way out

And a guy who voiced that specifically. Eli and crew came out and said "San Diego, don't draft me." San Diego in fact, drafted him.

Awkwardness ensues. 

2 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Gee, wonder where anyone ever got the notion that Burrow wouldn't want to play for the Bengals?

Show me where Burrow said that. You're assuming based on your own beliefs, and attempting to validate that based on your beliefs, which is poor reasoning. You validated this belief by referencing two people outside of the situation, leaning on their own experiences in the place of actual evidence.

Here, let's try this - what could Joe Burrow have said to diffuse this situation to you? What is the burden of proof you require from Burrow?

“That’s why I wanted out: I never felt like the [Bengals] organization was really trying to win a Super Bowl, and really chasing a Super Bowl,” Palmer told Damon Amendolara.

I mean, that is a actual former Bengals player who was also a QB and #1 overall pick.  Isn't their owner and front office also notorious for penny pinching?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And a guy who voiced that specifically. Eli and crew came out and said "San Diego, don't draft me." San Diego in fact, drafted him.

Awkwardness ensues. 

Show me where Burrow said that. You're assuming based on your own beliefs, and attempting to validate that based on your beliefs, which is poor reasoning. You validated this belief by referencing two people outside of the situation, leaning on their own experiences in the place of actual evidence.

Here, let's try this - what could Joe Burrow have said to diffuse this situation to you? What is the burden of proof you require from Burrow?

I'm not saying Burrow is or isn't actually interested in forcing his way out.

I'm saying based on the reporting, precedent, and what we know about the Bengals organization it's silly to outright dismiss it as a possibility.

Edited by DigInBoys