TheRomen's First Mock

The_Romen

This is my first ever mock, so bear with me.

Re-sign:

• Kwiatkowski - Grew a lot this year. Have to keep home-grown talent. My line of thinking is that him and Floyd can be switched up from time to time and keep  the opposing offense guessing. Good blitzer.
  • Pierre-Louis - Showed a good amount in his limited time. Won't be a full time starter, but can cover the pass. 
  • RRH -- Home-grown talent. Solid depth. Can flash from time to time.
  • Scales - Solid. Doesn't make mistakes.
  • Bush - Could end up being the starter depending on how Free agency goes. More in the box than EJax, which opens him up  to his natural role. Knows the defense. Should be fairly cheap.
  • Lucas - Played solidly in his limited time. Okay depth.
  • DHC - Good special teamer.
  • Nick Williams. Good depth. Had a great year and I think he'll stay for cheap.

Cut:

• Gabriel - Not worth what they paid him minus a few plays a year. Mitch can't hit little guys going deep.
  • Prince - As much as I like him, he's paid more than he's worth. Maybe he could restructure or get a new deal. I'd be all for that.

Free Agency:

• Matt Moore - KC guy, Nagy knows him. Just like Chase Daniel. They're going to be all in on Mitch.
  • Hunter Henry - Nagy would love his versatility. Very similar to Ertz and Kelce. Injuries are a concern, but something I'm willing to take a chance on given his talent level.
  • Kamalei Correa - Thumper. Like Kwit, he can play inside or out. Adds another dimension to the D.
  • Stefen Wisnewski - Can play any interior OL. Allows Whitehair to stay and work at C and keep his chemistry with Trubs.
  • Vernon Hargreaves - Disappointing first rounder but has size. Low risk, (maybe) high reward.
  • Ronald Darby - Another disappointing high draft pick, but has good size. Had a great rookie year and is similar to Fuller, can play zone and be fairly aggressive attacking the ball. Injuries are a concern but I like him on a modest contract. 
  • Karl Joseph - One of the top picks I have for us to get. Similar to Tony Jefferson a few years ago. Hard hitter. Just hasn't put it all together, but I think he would be great playing over Fuller.

*I think we'd only sign one of Hargreaves or Darby, not both.

Draft:

• Trade back... Bears give up 2(43) for Jets 3(68), 5(141), and 2020 6th. Pace recoups some value and loads up.
  • 2(50) - Lloyd Cushenberry - Can play inside or outside. Can be the James Daniel of 2020 and start the year learning and getting stronger, end up starting, taking over for Whitehair or Wisnewski.
  • 3(68) - Thaddeus Moss - Pace attacks positions of weakness, loves athletes and he is a willing blocker. Clearly amazing bloodlines. He's very young too. Lots of room to grow.
  • 5(141) - Anthony Gordon - Could be here, could be gone. If he's here, Pace takes a project and starts to work on him. He is willing to take a hit, has a big arm and reads the field well. If Gordon isn't there, I think Pace would take a big, speedy receiever... Maybe Jauan Jennings. Big target, good speed. Adds another dimension to the offense.
  • 5(142) - Benito Jones - Good name. Big boy. Great athlete. Keeps Goldman fresh. Can take up blockers or rush the passer a little bit.
  • 6(177) - La'Darius Hamilton - Depth. Put up some numbers last year.
  • 6(181) - JR Reed - Pace gets his Georgia player. Seems like a cross between EJax and Joseph. Will compete for the top back up spot.
  • 7(211) - Literally any punter. Competition for O'Donnell.

Depth Chart:

QB: Mitch/Moore/Gordon*

RB: Montgomery/Cohen/Nall

FB: Holtz

WR: Robinson/Miller/Wims/Ridley/Jennings*

TE: Henry/Burton/Moss/Horsted/Sheheen

OT: Leno/Massie/Lucas

OG: Daniels/Wisnewski/Cushenberry/Bars

OC: Whitehair/Cushenberry

-----------

DE: Hicks/Nichols/RRH/Williams

DT: Goldman/Jones

OLB: Mack/Floyd/Lynch

ILB: Kwiatkowski/KPL/Correa/Iyiegbuniwe

CB: Fuller/Darby/Skrine/Tolliver/Shelly

FS: Jackson/Reed/DHC

SS: Joseph/Bush

-----------

K: Piniero

P: O'Donnell/Draft Pick

LS: Scales

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You're missing a 7th.

I like the Joseph idea as a thumping SS. I like Cushenberry a lot.

Oops, let's just say it's another project OLB.

Joseph is a top 3 FA for me. Wanted him in the draft.

Cushenberry would be amazing. I should've gone after more OL depth/projects in this, but I believe Pace thinks last year was an anomaly for Leno and Massie.

I'm a fan of the re-signings and FA signings if their costs are reasonable. Hnery is the classic high risk/high upside guy.

If you want more OL depth/prospects just edit and add one with the 4th round compensatory pick, then add that guy (and Hamilton to OLB) on the depth chart. He can challenge Lucas as the swing tackle.

I think Cushenberry and Moss would start or be borderline starters by the end of the season (Moss as the in-line guy while Henry moves around, not over Henry), and by that same point Hamilton may take the OLB3 role from Lynch. Gordon is gone by then so Jennings is a guy that could be a good developmental project. 

Just checking, is there a reason that Smith isn't listed as the starting ILB? I thought he was going to be good to go before training camp.

All in all good job. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The_Romen said:
  • Trade back... Bears give up 2(43) for Jets 3(68), 5(141), and 2020 6th. 

Oh, gawd, no. 

Pace shouldn't even begin to entertain thoughts about trading down. We need higher percentage difference makers right now. Heaven help us all if he trades down. 

52 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm a fan of the re-signings and FA signings if their costs are reasonable. Hnery is the classic high risk/high upside guy.

If you want more OL depth/prospects just edit and add one with the 4th round compensatory pick, then add that guy (and Hamilton to OLB) on the depth chart. He can challenge Lucas as the swing tackle.

I think Cushenberry and Moss would start or be borderline starters by the end of the season (Moss as the in-line guy while Henry moves around, not over Henry), and by that same point Hamilton may take the OLB3 role from Lynch. Gordon is gone by then so Jennings is a guy that could be a good developmental project. 

Just checking, is there a reason that Smith isn't listed as the starting ILB? I thought he was going to be good to go before training camp.

All in all good job. 

Completely forgot Roquan existed 😅

Agree with everything else, I doubt Gordon is there but if he is, grab him. That FA class would be amazing to me.

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Oh, gawd, no. 

Pace shouldn't even begin to entertain thoughts about trading down. We need higher percentage difference makers right now. Heaven help us all if he trades down. 

I get what you're saying, but he does tend to have more success in the later rounds and I think we have solid staters everywhere, we just need depth. Pace tends to attack deficiencies in FA and then go get his BPA in the draft...now he has more chances to do that.

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Oh, gawd, no. 

I'd normally agree but Pace is better in the later rounds and if he can't get positions of need in FA due to cap restrictions, they may need to get some additional picks somehow

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 4:42 PM, beardown3231 said:

I'd normally agree but Pace is better in the later rounds and if he can't get positions of need in FA due to cap restrictions, they may need to get some additional picks somehow

Just want to be clear--normally I'd agree with all that. But this year? No, not at all. I understand why people are pushing for more picks, when they don't have that many...but they need high powered dudes now. Not gambles. The team is at a crossroads. If they have to move on from Mitch (spoiler alert: THEY WILL) they need a better foundation than they have now.