TL’s “One Year to Win” Forum Simulation Challenge

TL-TwoWinsAway

(Alllllllright… this thing took a while, but I think some of you will enjoy it.)

The “One Year to Win” Forum Sim Challenge is essentially a mock draft and simulation competition combined: an opportunity for the members of the forum to make a series of key decisions, to include signing free agents, trades and the draft, and have the following year simulated. The results of that simulation will be posted here for comparison and discussion.

The goal of this exercise is to make the Lions as successful as possible during the 2020 season. Other details, to include bad contracts or lost future picks, can be discussed, but all participants will be ranked by their success (or total wins) at the end of the 2020 season.

(If you have a disagreement about a player’s rating, a proposed contract, cap space or draft rankings, understand that this is just an exercise, and that everyone will participate under the same terms.)

Additional notes:

-        The Lions begin this exercise with $40M in available cap space. This number cannot be exceeded.

-        Injuries are turned OFF.

-        If a player does not have a trade offer listed below, no trade offers were received.

-        The participant will only select players from the first three rounds of the draft. After that point, they’ll list positions, and the best available scheme player will be drafted.

-        Players will not “fall” in the draft. The non-user team on the clock will select the next available player, regardless of scheme or needs.

-        Feel free to trade draft picks, but the trade value must fall within 50 points to be accepted.

-        Out of the Lions’ future picks, only the 1st round pick can be traded, and it is valued at 700 points. If it's traded for a current 1st round pick, you must also throw in a 4th round pick. (Any additional future picks acquired during this exercise can also be traded.)

-        Future picks are valued as the 16th pick of the lower round. (A future 2nd is valued at 190, or the 16th pick of the 3rd round.)

If you're interested in participating, please post describing which trades you accepted and players you either signed or drafted. For example:

"I accepted Key Decisions #1, #3, #4 and #5.

I re-signed ______ and _______.

I released ______ and ______.

I signed _____, _____, ____ and ____ in Free Agency.

I selected the following players in the draft:

1.3 - ________

1.23 - ________

2.3 - __________

3.3 - __________

3.23 - ________

4th Round DT

4th Round DE

5th Round WR

6th Round QB

6th Round RB

7th Round P"

Once I have the information, and after ensuring that the decisions did not exceed the available cap, I'll make those moves in game, simulate the 2020 season and post the results. It'll be interesting to see which strategy leads to the best overall record.

Hope you enjoy!

Leaderboard.png

Current Top Roster: TL

QB: Matthew Stafford, 6th Round Rookie, David Blough
RB: Kerryon Johnson, 4th Round Rookie, Bo Scarbrough, Ty Johnson
FB: Nick Bawden
WR: Kenny Golladay, Marvin Hall
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Jesse James, Isaac Nauta
LT: Jack Conklin, Tyrell Crosby
LG: Graham Glasgow, Joshua Garnett
C: Frank Ragnow, Joe Dahl
RG: Ben Bredeson, Beau Benzschawel
RT: Taylor Decker
WR: Danny Amendola, Collin Johnson, Travis Fulgham

LE: Chase Young, 6th Round Rookie
DT: Ndamukong Suh, Da'Shawn Hand, John Atkins 
DT: A'Shawn Robinson, Kevin Strong
RE: Trey Flowers, Austin Bryant
OLB: Devon Kennard, Jalen Reeves-Maybin
MLB: Jahlani Tavai, Jarrad Davis, Christian Jones
OLB: Zach Baun, Steve Longa 
CB: Darius Slay, Logan Ryan, Justin Coleman, Amani Oruwariye, 5th Round Rookie, Jamal Agnew 
FS: Devin McCourty
SS: Tracy Walker III, Will Harris

K: Matt Prater
P: 7th Round Rookie

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 2

Key Decisions:

#1 - Offer Received: Matthew Stafford (86) ($3.5M Cap Hit)

- The New England Patriots have offered their 1st round pick (23rd overall) and 3rd round pick (87th overall) to the Lions for Matthew Stafford.

#2 - Offers Received: Darius Slay (90) ($10M Cap Savings)

- 1 - The Raiders have offered their 1st round pick (19th overall) to the Lions for Darius Slay and their 3rd round pick (67th overall).

- 2 - The Eagles have offered their 1st round pick (21st overall) to the Lions for Darius Slay and their 4th round pick.

- 3 - The Dolphins have offered their 1st round pick (26th overall) to the Lions for Darius Slay.

- 4 - The Texans have offered their 2nd round pick (57th overall) and two 4th round picks to the Lions for Darius Slay.

#3 – Offer Received: Marvin Jones Jr (82) ($6.5M Cap Savings)

- The Patriots have offered a 6th round pick to the Lions for Marvin Jones Jr.

#4 – Offer Received: Jarrad Davis (78) ($2M Cap Savings)

- The Ravens have offered a 4th round pick to the Lions for Jarrad Davis.

#5 – Offer Received: The Bengals are exploring trades for A.J. Green (85) ($16M Cap Hit)

- After applying the franchise tag, the Bengals have offered A.J. Green to the Lions for their 3rd round pick (67th overall).

#6 – Offer Received: The Chiefs are exploring trades for Sammy Watkins (86) ($21M Cap Hit)

- The Chiefs have offered Sammy Watkins to the Lions for their 2nd round pick (35th overall).

#7 – Offer Received: The Redskins are exploring trades for Trent Williams (88) ($14.5M Cap Hit)

- The Redskins have offered Trent Williams to the Lions for their 2nd round pick (35th overall).

#8 – Offer Received: The Jets are exploring trades for Jamal Adams (90) ($15M Cap Hit)

- The Jets have offered Jamal Adams and their 1st round pick (11th overall) to the Lions for their 1st round pick (3rd overall) and 4th round pick.

#9 – Offers Received: The 3rd overall pick

- 1 - The Dolphins have offered two 1st round picks (5th overall and 26th overall) and a future 2nd round pick to the Lions for their 1st round pick (3rd overall).

- 2 - The Dolphins have offered two 1st round picks (18th overall and 26th overall), a 2nd round pick (39th overall) and a 3rd round pick (70th overall) to the Lions for their 1st round pick (3rd overall).

- 3 - The Panthers have offered their 1st round pick (7th overall), 2nd round pick (38th overall) and 3rd round pick (69th overall) to the Lions for their 1st round pick (3rd overall).

- 4 - The Jaguars have offered two 1st round picks (9th overall and 20th overall) and a future 2nd round pick to the Lions for their 1st round pick (3rd overall).

- 5 - The Raiders have offered two 1st round picks (12th overall and 19th overall) and a 3rd round pick (91st overall) to the Lions for their 1st round pick (3rd overall).

- 6 - The Colts have offered their 1st round pick (13th overall), 2nd round pick (34th overall), a 4th round pick and a future 1st round pick to the Lions for their 1st round pick (3rd overall).

- 7 - The Redskins have offered their 1st round pick (2nd overall) to the Lions for their 1st round pick (3rd overall) and a future 1st round pick. (This is the only trade that the Redskins will accept for the 2nd overall pick.)

*** THIS MUST BE ADDRESSED! ***

#10 – Player Contract Concerns: Damon Harrison (84)

- Damon Harrison is considering retirement, although a pay increase would encourage him to stick around. If paid: $13M Cap Hit. If declined, he retires: $5M Cap Hit.

(To clarify: this really isn't the right way to express Harrison's contract, although I felt it was the most straightforward. I could have reduced the starting cap by $10M and gave the choice to either pay $3M to keep him around or save $5M by letting him retire. Same scenario, different approach. Sorry for any confusion.)

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

Alright. For my first attempt:

"I accepted Key Decisions #3 (traded Marvin Jones, $6.5M Cap Savings), #5 (acquired A.J. Green, $16M Cap Hit) and #9.3 (traded down with the Panthers from 1.3 for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks).

I re-signed Graham Glasgow ($8M Cap Hit) and A'Shawn Robinson ($4M Cap Hit).

Damon Harrison retired ($5M Cap Hit) and I released Rick Wagner ($5M Cap Savings).

I signed Jack Conklin ($14M Cap Hit) and Karl Joseph ($4M Cap Hit) in Free Agency.

I selected the following players in the draft:

7 – Jerry Jeudy

35 - Jonathan Taylor

38 – Curtis Weaver

69 – Ben Bredeson

4 – DT

5 – RT

6 – OLB

6 – LE

7 – P

I had 500K in cap space remaining."

Sim results incoming.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

On 2/19/2020 at 5:31 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

*Attempt #1*

QB: Matthew Stafford, David Blough
RB: Kerryon Johnson, Jonathan Taylor, Bo Scarbrough, Ty Johnson
FB: Nick Bawden
WR: Kenny Golladay, Marvin Hall
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Jesse James, Isaac Nauta
LT: Taylor Decker, Tyrell Crosby
LG: Graham Glasgow, Joshua Garnett
C: Frank Ragnow, Joe Dahl
RG: Ben Bredeson, Beau Benzschawel
RT: Jack Conklin, 5th Round Rookie
WR: A.J. Green, Jerry Jeudy, Chris Lacy

LE: Curtis Weaver, Romeo Okwara, 6th Round Rookie
DT: A'Shawn Robinson, 4th Round Rookie, John Atkins 
DT: Da'Shawn Hand, Kevin Strong
RE: Trey Flowers, Austin Bryant
OLB: Devon Kennard, Jalen Reeves-Maybin
MLB: Jahlani Tavai, Christian Jones
OLB: Jarrad Davis, Steve Longa, 6th Round Rookie
CB: Darius Slay, Justin Coleman, Amani Oruwariye, Jamal Agnew 
FS: Tracy Walker III, Will Harris
SS: Karl Joseph

K: Matt Prater
P: 7th Round Rookie

Ouch. Not good. 7-8-1 record and pretty mediocre team stats overall.

I was confident that a WR group of Golladay (952 yards), Green (761 yards) and Jeudy (1,016 yards) would lead to great results, yet the Lions had the 22nd ranked passing offense. Pretty brutal. Stafford finished with 27 TDs and 13 INTs, and Kerryon totaled 1,050 yards on the year. The defense really seemed to struggle as well.

Not a success.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Ouch. Not good. 7-8-1 record and pretty mediocre team stats overall.

I was confident that a WR group of Golladay (952 yards), Green (761 yards) and Jeudy (1,016 yards) would lead to great results, yet the Lions had the 22nd ranked passing offense. Pretty brutal. Stafford finished with 27 TDs and 13 INTs, and Kerryon totaled 1,050 yards on the year. The defense really seemed to struggle as well.

Not a success.

Who's calling dem plays?? 😅

28 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I worked out a deal that was slightly lesser value than the one he has put together. I'm expecting that it should be ok. 

This was in his rules

Feel free to trade draft picks, but the trade value must fall within 50 points to be accepted.

So I am guessing as long as its only picks you are trading and within the parameters of the trade value chart, you should be ok. 

• Like 1