2020 NFL Combine Thread

goldfishwars

Fact is these guys sitting out the combine are doing so for a reason.  If they participate they won't do as well as peers and they are protecting their draft stock.  The combine matters, anyone who says it doesn't is fooling themselves.

Chase Young sitting out is not surprising with those official HS measurables.  Although I think not participating was the right move for him, better than him coming out and running a 4.9 and having a 31" vertical as a speed rusher.  Everyone saying he would have greatly improved on his HS numbers at 17, well I disagree.  

It isn't like he hit a growth spurt and his body rapidly changed between 17 and 20.  He was 6'5 226 lbs at the time of that HS combine and he is now 6'5 260.  Believe it or not, adding 35 lbs does not drastically help your run time.  Also, it's hard to mess up a vertical jump and plenty of 17 year olds jump higher than that.  

Same thing with Thaddeus Moss, he definitely was not going to wow anyone with his measurables.  He lacks speed and explosiveness, it's evident in games. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Interesting.

That can't be true, or maybe it's new, because DK Metcalf knew he was going to be meeting with Seattle and was told to take his shirt off prior to the meeting, and it prompted Pete Carol to take his shirt off too. 

So they do know, or didn't know last year? 

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

terms of arm lengths in NFL history, here they are but ranked on arm length compared to height that they were.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/15-NFL-Players-With-the-Longest-Arms

The fact aldon Smith is not on your list astounds me. I met him in person one time and the guy could basically scratch his knee without bending over. 

2 hours ago, warsawian said:

Fact is these guys sitting out the combine are doing so for a reason.  If they participate they won't do as well as peers and they are protecting their draft stock.  The combine matters, anyone who says it doesn't is fooling themselves.

Chase Young sitting out is not surprising with those official HS measurables.  Although I think not participating was the right move for him, better than him coming out and running a 4.9 and having a 31" vertical as a speed rusher.  Everyone saying he would have greatly improved on his HS numbers at 17, well I disagree.  

It isn't like he hit a growth spurt and his body rapidly changed between 17 and 20.  He was 6'5 226 lbs at the time of that HS combine and he is now 6'5 260.  Believe it or not, adding 35 lbs does not drastically help your run time.  Also, it's hard to mess up a vertical jump and plenty of 17 year olds jump higher than that.  

Same thing with Thaddeus Moss, he definitely was not going to wow anyone with his measurables.  He lacks speed and explosiveness, it's evident in games. 

Exactly. It will become more and more common. Skip the bowl game to prevent injury. Skip the combine to prevent exposure.

If this were 10 years ago or even 5 there is no question Chase Young would have done every drill. It's only in recent years that measures like twitch or SackSEER have become more prominent and grudgingly accepted. The Dolphins ignored analytics twice and ended up with two busts in Dion Jordan and Charles Harris. Both of those guys were at the absolute top of every list that screamed warning and bust based on flunking the position-specific tests.

I'm really surprised the Chase Young high school numbers were not well known here. I posted them on several sites last fall and it generated debate. I posted them within the comments on Rob Staton's excellent Seahawks Draft Blog many months ago. That is a numbers based blog. He led off his combine preview several days ago by mentioning Chase Young's lousy high school numbers. 

I agree that it is very unlikely Young would have improved those high school scores by any meaningful degree. The world is full of Happy Adjusters who want to take their bias toward every imaginable extreme. When I lived in Las Vegas and bet sports it was amazing how easy it was to ignore all the adjustments and simply wager on normalcy to continue. 

Now my sports betting profit is in the stock market. I'd like some normalcy there after the past few days...

Young's awful high school numbers are particularly notable because Ohio State has been loading up with SPARQ demons for years. They obviously make the scores a huge priority above subjective evaluation. A Canes blogger detected it last year when he evaluated the major college teams along those lines:

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/college-footballs-legs-race-part-1.145029/

On page 1 of that link, check out the Standard Deviations for Ohio State compared to any other program. There is no question who has been the most athletic team in college football in recent seasons, even if it hasn't translated to playoff success as much as early rounds of the draft.

There have been more subtle examples of skipping specific drills. Last year Dwayne Haskins was a clod athlete. No chance he was going to do any of the change of direction drills like the shuttle run. He ran the 40 and basically quit. 

It worked out for him and it will work out for Chase Young also. 

Edited by Awsi Dooger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

The fact aldon Smith is not on your list astounds me. I met him in person one time and the guy could basically scratch his knee without bending over. 

It is not my list for one, and Aldon Smith was 6-4 263 and had 35 3/8" arms, that is probably why he did not make it.  

2 hours ago, vikes635 said:

With Zack Moss's measurables does anyone else want to rank him in your top 5 RB prospect for this year? I currently have him at 6 but I didn't realize he had that much poundage! Also is A.J. Dillon too big?

Moss is RB 5 for behind Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, CEH. I was reading about Dillon, I guess rumor was that most teams wanted to see him come in closer to 230 than 250 so I’d answer your question with maybe? Personally, don’t have a problem with it with what should be asked from him in the NFL for his role. 

Edited by Fureys49ers

45 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Moss is RB 5 for behind Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, CEH. I was reading about Dillon, I guess rumor was that most teams wanted to see him come in closer to 230 than 250 so I’d answer your question with maybe? Personally, don’t have a problem with it with what should be asked from him in the NFL for his role. 

I think he can get down to 240 in an NFL program and be effective. He will probably be a split carry back but he can carve his role in an offense. 

• Like 2