2020 NFL Combine Thread

goldfishwars

14 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Goff played as a freshman at Cal that won 1 game. He stuck it out and helped improve the team every year. That's not an easy spot to be at as a 18 year old QB. 

In his rookie year, the Rams were winless under Goff. He gave a end of the year press conference promising the fans that things would get better. The offense the next year led the league in points. Being a great leader for me is a lot more about how you respond to adversity than how vocal you might be. Goff has proven that he is able to push past the lows and that he welcomes challenges. And no matter what happens in the game, I know that he believes in his teammates and vice versa. 

We basically have 2 years on Burrow so I can't really comment a ton on his leadership. His leap this year is obviously impressive as he's improved his draft stock by a mile. 

I was talking more about the past two seasons or so. When I think of leadership I think of Brady, Brees, and Peyton. Holding guys accountable, being vocal, leading by example, demanding greatness etc. I don’t remember ever seeing that with Goff. Like I said, he looks more reserved.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I was talking more about the past two seasons or so. When I think of leadership I think of Brady, Brees, and Peyton. Holding guys accountable, being vocal, leading by example, demanding greatness etc. I don’t remember ever seeing that with Goff. Like I said, he looks more reserved.

He is more reserved. But I don't think that limits your capacity as a leader. Russ is also reserved and one of the best leaders in the league. 

Won't derail the subject further though. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

On other sites we have discussed all season that if Young decided to do the drills it meant he was confident of huge improvement, and if he backed out he knew those were indeed representative numbers. 

xD yeah guy.

What were Chaisson's high school numbers?  Must be absolutely atrocious.  This is someone who actually has something to prove deciding to sit out.

Or maybe intelligent people will come to the conclusion that the reason these guys are sitting out is the below:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

The 40 yard dash was among his high school test scores. He ran a very pedestrian 4.94. 

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to his SPARQ results exiting high school. Chase Young is not the explosive athlete that everyone believes he is. That has been discussed on one draft site after another all season. Maybe the topic didn't make its way here. I assumed it had been, and was well known. If you tested everyone on the Buckeye team in those drills, Chase Young would lag at least a dozen or more. And that is being kind.

He is not doing the drills because he would bomb, and it would become a whispered topic. Chase Young knows darn well his lack of dynamic athleticism would be exposed. It would be one thing at another position. No big deal. At defensive end it is quite revealing and predictive. Heck, this site was a big part of that with Waldo.

Here is a link with the high school results: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/212159/chase-young

30 inch vertical

4.46 in the 20 yard shuttle

Those are non-competitive numbers. Unless he improved dramatically -- which was certainly possible -- it would have tagged Young to the draft, although probably not impacted the slotting. 

On other sites we have discussed all season that if Young decided to do the drills it meant he was confident of huge improvement, and if he backed out he knew those were indeed representative numbers. 

I have not heard that before, I wonder what @MSURacerDT55 thinks of all of this.  

I never considered Chase Young a bad athlete, he is quick off the ball, is well conditioned, has a good motor and for his size I would say he is quite athletic.  I would not be shocked to see Chase Young run better than Gross-Matos, Curtis Weaver, James Lynch, Kenny Willekes at all if he runs.  So who are all these DEs who will blow him out of the water?  Jonathan Garvin might do well, Chaisson but he is not taking part either apparently and is a OLB not a DE.  I consider Chase Young a DE all the way not a 3/4 OLB and with that being the case he is more than athletic enough for that especially in this current class.

The guy had one of the best seasons in terms of DE production in a long time, freaking was invited to the Heisman Trophy ceremony after missing what two games even.  If he did not get to the QB based on quickness and athletic ability how was he getting into the backfield then?  But maybe that is why he is sitting out though, no reason not to do so.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

The 40 yard dash was among his high school test scores. He ran a very pedestrian 4.94. 

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to his SPARQ results exiting high school. Chase Young is not the explosive athlete that everyone believes he is. That has been discussed on one draft site after another all season. Maybe the topic didn't make its way here. I assumed it had been, and was well known. If you tested everyone on the Buckeye team in those drills, Chase Young would lag at least a dozen or more. And that is being kind.

He is not doing the drills because he would bomb, and it would become a whispered topic. Chase Young knows darn well his lack of dynamic athleticism would be exposed. It would be one thing at another position. No big deal. At defensive end it is quite revealing and predictive. Heck, this site was a big part of that with Waldo.

Here is a link with the high school results: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/212159/chase-young

30 inch vertical

4.46 in the 20 yard shuttle

Those are non-competitive numbers. Unless he improved dramatically -- which was certainly possible -- it would have tagged Young to the draft, although probably not impacted the slotting. 

He was 17 when he took those tests... that's not even finishing puberty.  Believing who Chase Young was before he spent three years at one of the most elite college training facilities in the nation over what you see on tape year after year is asinine.  It's not possible to have his absurd production without being an explosive athlete.  Tape alone, he pops out as the best defensive player on the field every game. 

Young has nothing to gain and everything to lose in the combine.  He's the consensus best defensive (arguably overall) player in the draft.  Sorry but you sound foolish right now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Gentlemen, 

As we really get into draft season, I just want to remind everyone to be respectful of others' opinions.  We can and will disagree about a lot.  However, let's try to veer away from calling viewpoints idiotic or things of that nature.  Strongly, adamantly, vehemently disagreeing is perfectly fine.

None of us really know how any of this will turn out, so no reason to get personal.

2 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

He was 17 when he took those tests... that's not even finishing puberty.  Believing who Chase Young was before he spent three years at one of the most elite college training facilities in the nation over what you see on tape year after year is asinine.  It's not possible to have his absurd production without being an explosive athlete.  Tape alone, he pops out as the best defensive player on the field every game. 

Young has nothing to gain and everything to lose in the combine.  He's the consensus best defensive (arguably overall) player in the draft.  Sorry but you sound foolish right now.

Just a reminder that saying you 'strongly, adamantly, and vehemently disagree' or something along those lines is better than words like asinine or foolish.

Tredaddy, not trying to call you out personally, just giving an example of what I would really prefer as I think it will make my job less stressful.  I don't want to have to get on guys during the draft season.  Please make my job easier.

Thank you all in understanding as I try to be consistent in the behavior I expect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Hopefully the NFL combine does not become like the 2nd tear bowl games in college where a lot of top prospects do not even participate and that becomes the norm.  Being injured is one thing but sometimes I think the injuries can be fabricated.  

These quotes are interesting from David Dellanave who owns Movement Minneapolis in reference to Joe Burrows and general QB hand size.

"The pinkie is useless," says David Dellanave, who owns Movement Minneapolis, where he specializes in training and coaching grip strength, a niche branch of weightlifting. "So to that point it's doubly stupid to use this measurement because the pinkie is useless when it comes to gripping something."

"Size alone doesn't really mean anything when it comes to grip strength," Dellanave says. "I don't think there is any correlation between hand size and hand strength. You would think teams would have a ton of data and insight into this, but then again, I've seen some pretty dumb stuff in professional sports training, so I don't know."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/28770715/why-nfl-combine-built-myth-qb-hand-size-measurement-mean-anything

Curious why the NFL would not use such a grip tester to actually measure grip strength which is the point.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Just a reminder that saying you 'strongly, adamantly, and vehemently disagree' or something along those lines is better than words like asinine or foolish.

Tredaddy, not trying to call you out personally, just giving an example of what I would really prefer as I think it will make my job less stressful.  I don't want to have to get on guys during the draft season.  Please make my job easier.

Thank you all in understanding as I try to be consistent in the behavior I expect.

Okay turkey