2020 NFL Combine Thread

goldfishwars

I doubt that this is going to cause some long-term ripples that will lead to all top players sitting out the combine. I think once agents and trainers get a better feel for the new schedule the top guys will compete again next year. Running a 40 at 7-8 PM is a whole different ball game than 10 AM or 1 PM. It changes the complete routine on when and what to eat and drink, how to warm up, etc.  Considering how important .1 is in a 40 or shuttle time, it makes sense for guys to be cautious and not wanting to be guinea pigs if they don’t need the boost. 

• Like 2

Just now, winitall said:

I doubt that this is going to cause some long-term ripples that will lead to all top players sitting out the combine. I think once agents and trainers get a better feel for the new schedule the top guys will compete again next year. Running a 40 at 7-8 PM is a whole different ball game than 10 AM or 1 PM. It changes the complete routine on when and what to eat and drink, how to warm up, etc.  Considering how important .1 is in a 40 or shuttle time, it makes sense for guys to be cautious and not wanting to be guinea pigs if they don’t need the boost. 

I think it’s a minor red flag to be honest, injuries are injuries and that’s fine. But, if there is a rash of these above the norm then I think I would look at the guys who stayed and competed at Indy a little more favourably than those who did not. 

• Like 1

If I hear a prospect say they are not comfortable running drills at an odd ball time because it doesnt fit their "routine" I'm raising a Red flag. If conditions have to be just right for you to perform at your best then how can I depend on you to come through on a 4th and 1 when its -5 outside in a playoff game l with snow all over the field. That's what alot of games come down to is less then ideal conditions and you wanting to stay in your safe zone isnt giving me a warm and fuzzy that you can perform when the pressure is on you outside of your little circle. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

So they haven't released an exact schedule for it? Yeah, I don't blame guys for not participating. 

If they cannot learn on the fly and do the drill, well that just means they are not as athletic potentially.  There is a ton of learning on the go and just naturally reacting athletically in football.  If one has to train for months to be good at a drill to show this or that, well then maybe they are actually not as athletic as the drill is supposed to help display.

It is not like they are asking them to do anything that out of the ordinary but sure it is not typical but so what, things change, pro days change, game plans change etc.  Not everything is scripted and that is a good thing. 

In terms of arm lengths in NFL history, here they are but ranked on arm length compared to height that they were.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/15-NFL-Players-With-the-Longest-Arms

1. Jon Harris: 38.5 inches
  2. Clifton Geathers: 37.75 inches
  3. Alex Barron: 37.75 inches
  4. Antonio Anderson: 37.75 inches
  5. D. J. Fluker: 36.75 inches
  6. Ryan Clady: 36.75 inches
  7. Tra Thomas: 36.50 inches
  8. Tyron Smith: 36.38 inches
  9. Orlando Pace: 36.25 inches
  10. Trevor Pryce: 36.25 inches
  11. Simeon Rice: 36.25 inches
  12. Lincoln Kennedy: 36.13 inches
  13. Calvin Johnson: 36.00 inches
  14. Russell Okung: 36.00 inches
  15. Roman Oben: 36.00 inches

Other guys who did not make the top list because they were too tall, it was a combo of the height and their arm length.  

• Roderick Johnson: 6'7", 36.00"
  • Charles Omenihu: 6'5", 36.00"
  • Julién Davenport: 6'7", 36.50"
  • Germain Ifedi: 6'6", 36.00"
  • Le'Raven Clark: 6'5", 36.13"
  • Trent Brown: 6'8", 36.00"
  • Daniel McCullers: 6'7", 36.63"
  • Devin Taylor: 6'8", 36.08"
  • Malliciah Goodman: 6'4", 36.38"
  • Jarriel King: 6'5", 36.38"
  • Joe Barksdale: 6'5", 36.00"
  • Al Woods: 6'4", 36.00"
  • Phil Loadholt: 6'8", 36.50"
  • Herman Johnson: 6’7”, 36.50”
  • Jarron Gilbert: 6'5", 36.75"
  • Brandon Keith: 6'5", 36.25"
  • Jason Jones: 6'5", 36.38"
  • Gosder Cherilus: 6'7", 36.25"
  • Paul Williams: 6'1", 36.00"
  • Tony Ugoh: 6'5", 36.00"
  • Stephon Heyer: 6'6", 36.88"
  • Dallas Baker: 6'3", 36.50"
  • Terrance Pennington: 6'7", 36.00"
  • Rashad Butler: 6'4", 36.00"
  • Frank Omiyale: 6'4", 36.00"
  • Anthony Alabi: 6'5", 36.75"
  • Alvin McKinley: 6'3", 36.50"
  • Victor Riley: 6'5", 36.13"
  • Eric Ogbogu: 6'4", 36.25"
  • Robert Hicks: 6'7", 36.25"
  • Anthony Clement: 6'8", 36.00"
  • Jerry Wunsch: 6'6", 36.00"
  • Jamie Nails: 6'6", 36.25"
  • Kenard Lang: 6'3", 36.00"
  • Jerome Daniels: 6'5", 36.25"
  • Stalin Colinet: 6'6", 36.00"
  • Israel Ifeanyi: 6'3", 36.13"
  • Bernard Williams: 6'8", 36.13"
  • Ben Coleman: 6'5", 36.25"
  • Larry Tharpe: 6'4", 36.00"
  • Alonzo Spellman: 6'4", 36.88"
  • James Brown: 6'6", 36.00"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If they cannot learn on the fly and do the drill, well that just means they are not as athletic potentially.  There is a ton of learning on the go and just naturally reacting athletically in football.  If one has to train for months to be good at a drill to show this or that, well then maybe they are actually not as athletic as the drill is supposed to help display.

It is not like they are asking them to do anything that out of the ordinary but sure it is not typical but so what, things change, pro days change, game plans change etc.  Not everything is scripted and that is a good thing. 

I look at it from my background of running track in college. Track meets have a schedule so you can plan your day around. The schedule is how I would base when I'd wake up, when/what I'd eat, and when and how to warm up/cool down. 

If the goal is seeing who is the best athlete then I think you need to treat the combine like a track meet. I see the point that too much structure isn't what football is but the combine has never been about that. So maybe that's why there was the change but the pushback by the athletes seems justified. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

If I hear a prospect say they are not comfortable running drills at an odd ball time because it doesnt fit their "routine" I'm raising a Red flag. If conditions have to be just right for you to perform at your best then how can I depend on you to come through on a 4th and 1 when its -5 outside in a playoff game l with snow all over the field. That's what alot of games come down to is less then ideal conditions and you wanting to stay in your safe zone isnt giving me a warm and fuzzy that you can perform when the pressure is on you outside of your little circle. 

Eh, I’m okay with it. The point of the athletic testing at the combine is to eliminate (or at least reduce) all variables. We don’t know if the new scheduling throws a wrench in that yet. The players don’t have to risk it if they don’t have to.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I look at it from my background of running track in college. Track meets have a schedule so you can plan your day around. The schedule is how I would base when I'd wake up, when/what I'd eat, and when and how to warm up/cool down. 

If the goal is seeing who is the best athlete then I think you need to treat the combine like a track meet. I see the point that too much structure isn't what football is but the combine has never been about that. So maybe that's why there was the change but the pushback by the athletes seems justified. 

Very true, and what 80-90% of it will be very similar.  The 40 time which is huge yeah, no one is surprised by that, by when agents try to control everything like Colin Kaepernick did in his workout to try and get back into the NFL.  Yeah they wanted control because they wanted everything perfect because he sucks and has declined as a player.  If a prospect needs everything perfect to perform than it is deceptive just how athletic they actually are.

Take a few hours the day before or day of, practice the drill a few times and freaking do it, if that cannot happen on a few odd ball drills then DNP.  Still seems when that happens and the player is not actually injured, they are trying to hide something but maybe not.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, and what 80-90% of it will be very similar.  The 40 time which is huge yeah, no one is surprised by that, by when agents try to control everything like Colin Kaepernick did in his workout to try and get back into the NFL.  Yeah they wanted control because they wanted everything perfect because he sucks and has declined as a player.  If a prospect needs everything perfect to perform than it is deceptive just how athletic they actually are.

Take a few hours the day before or day of, practice the drill a few times and freaking do it, if that cannot happen on a few odd ball drills then DNP.  Still seems when that happens and the player is not actually injured, they are trying to hide something but maybe not.

I don't agree with this pessimistic mindset at all.  There's nothing wrong with agents wanting control to maximize the overall performance of their clients.  That's literally the scope of their job -- to maximize the draft order of when their client is picked.  Automatically bucketing all of these players who choose not to perform at the combine as all trying to 'hide' things about themselves is a bit of a ridiculous stretch.  

Arguing 'but this is what football is, reacting to natural unknowns' means jack to both players and agents when there are millions of dollars on the line.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

I don't agree with this pessimistic mindset at all.  There's nothing wrong with agents wanting control to maximize the overall performance of their clients.  That's literally the scope of their job -- to maximize the draft order of when their client is picked.  Automatically bucketing all of these players who choose not to perform at the combine as all trying to 'hide' things about themselves is a bit of a ridiculous stretch.  

Arguing 'but this is what football is, reacting to natural unknowns' means jack to both players and agents when there are millions of dollars on the line.  

Not only that, but the combine isn't and never has been about measuring someone's ability on the football field. What someone said earlier about this essentially being a track meet is accurate.

Edited by rackcs

5 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

Then go sit and never perform because you are too afraid to fail.  Injury is one thing, not liking the drills is another.  I say again, if you need to be pre-taught that damn much to perform well in an athletic testing drill, then maybe you are not quite the athlete the drill is trying to uncover.  

Maybe it is just a luxury for elite level players to sit everything out, but tons of guys do not have that luxury.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Then go sit and never perform because you are too afraid to fail.  Injury is one thing, not liking the drills is another.  I say again, if you need to be pre-taught that damn much to perform well in an athletic testing drill, then maybe you are not quite the athlete the drill is trying to uncover.  

Maybe it is just a luxury for elite level players to sit everything out, but tons of guys do not have that luxury.  

Plus, all of these guys still have the luxury of performing at their pro days too if they want. I'm not buying this their schedule being thrown out thing, I think pull outs are and always be a reflection of canny agents who don't want their guy to be exposed because they know there are athletic concerns. 

• Like 2