Brad Biggs: On the QB Position

WindyCity

-Does not think the Bears are going to reboot the position.

-They want to believe that Mitch can be developed into something.

-He thinks they are targeting depth not a person with front line ability.

-May need to trade for someone, as being the #2 is not going to be super attractive.

-They should explore a trade options because there is no sales pitch needed.

-If they did trade for someone like Dalton they would need to do serious contract adjustment.

-The plan will not be as grand as some people want it to be.

I pretty much expect this.

Pace was always going to be all in on Mitch going in to his make or break year.  

Now they have to surround the guy with some good supportive pieces and let him go out and prove himself for one last time.

I believe they had a good start with the hirings of Flip and Lazor.  Now let's see some nice FA's/draft picks added.

I will live with Mitch in 2020, but they have to commit to actually building an offense that will function for him.

Last season they had the lowest pocket time in the NFL [2.3 second] and they had the 3rd lowest YAC yards. They threw the ball quick and short and got nothing after the catch. That is an issue.

43 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I will live with Mitch in 2020, but they have to commit to actually building an offense that will function for him.

Last season they had the lowest pocket time in the NFL [2.3 second] and they had the 3rd lowest YAC yards. They threw the ball quick and short and got nothing after the catch. That is an issue.

The offence we need to steal from is not the Chiefs but the Ravens...get this dude a couple of TEs so he can attack the middle of the field and then open up the deep ball.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The offence we need to steal from is not the Chiefs but the Ravens...get this dude a couple of TEs so he can attack the middle of the field and then open up the deep ball.

Or the 49ers. Complementing ARob with a good receiving TE and a guy to play the role of Deebo Samuel would make our offense far more diverse even with the same triggerman. 

I’ve run probably 50 different offseason scenarios and nearly all of them end up involving adding a WR with speed/RAC ability in round 2. Theo Epstein talks about capitalizing on market surpluses when building his roster. WR in round 2 this year is going to be the place for that IMO. Guys like Reagor, Aiyuk, Shenault and Hamler are 1st rounders in a lot of drafts and likely more than one of them and potentially all of them will still be on the board at 43. Great NFL offenses aren’t necessarily ones without holes - they are ones with elite playmakers. If we get a chance to grab a 1st round talent without the benefit of a 1st round pick we definitely need to do that IMO.

If we stack the deck with top end skill talent on offense and Mitch still fails then the next guy will walk into that same top end skill talent. That’s a great situation for a rookie or an appealing landing spot for a FA vet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

What do we think it will cost to get Josh Rosen?

More than what ever I would give up for that guy.

Seriously I would rather sign Fitzpatrick for the $8M he made last year to be Mitch's back up vs trading anything for Rosen and paying him $2M.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Ok so you're finally acknowledging that it wasn't all Mitch's fault?  Baby steps...nice I like it.

Last year offense was such a cluster across board it is really tough to evaluate players.   The suck was contagious.  

But you can't just say none of them have talent.   It was just the execution was beyond horrible on too many plays that killed drives again and again.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Guys like Hamler

I really like Hamler...I just worry about Mitch's ability to get the best out of him after what we have seen with Gabriel...totally off topic but has anyone else noticed that for a 5-9" WR Hamler seems to have really long arms...like really long 😂

44 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

More than what ever I would give up for that guy.

Seriously I would rather sign Fitzpatrick for the $8M he made last year to be Mitch's back up vs trading anything for Rosen and paying him $2M.

Same. Rosen sucks. Thought so when he was at UCLA where I saw several of his games and haven’t seen anything since to change my mind. I wouldn’t trade a seat on Windy’s #firepace bus for Rosen. 

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I really like Hamler...I just worry about Mitch's ability to get the best out of him after what we have seen with Gabriel...totally off topic but has anyone else noticed that for a 5-9" WR Hamler seems to have really long arms...like really long 😂

Brandon Aiyuk measured in at the Senior Bowl 5-11 3/4 and 201 with a 6-9 wing span and with 10” hands. 👀

#myguy 

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Same. Rosen sucks. Thought so when he was at UCLA where I saw several of his games and haven’t seen anything since to change my mind. I wouldn’t trade a seat on Windy’s #firepace bus for Rosen. 

I agree on Rosen.

It's pretty damning when the Dolphins, who have a huge need at the QB position, traded away a 2nd round pick for Rosen and he only lasted 3 full games before getting benched and going back to Fitz, who is no more than a journeyman placeholder.  And now they will likely be drafting a QB in the first round of this year's draft.

Plus the Cards were pretty quick to give up on him for Kyler Murray.  Not a very good look for Rosen.  We already have 1 under performing 1st round QB on the roster..don't need another that will cost us precious draft capital.

Edited by topwop1