Brad Biggs: On the QB Position

WindyCity

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If we got average Derek Carr, against playoff teams, in the game against the Eagles they would have won without the need for a field goal attempt.

Agreed and then lost to a better team. The best he can do is lose a Superbowl, that's his ceiling.

I'm not against a trade for Carr for the right price, my point is he isn't a savior. He is probably much better than Mitch but we aren't winning anything with him unless we get very lucky.

Edited by Nads786

18 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Agreed and then lost to a better team. The best he can do is lose a Superbowl, that's his ceiling.

I'm not against a trade for Carr for the right price, my point is he isn't a savior. He is probably much better than Mitch but we aren't winning anything with him unless we get very lucky.

I just don't know how you figure this. I've never heard this point made regarding anyone. I've heard "good enough to win a SB" or something, but "good enough to lose a SB" is a weird hill to die on

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I just don't know how you figure this. I've never heard this point made regarding anyone. I've heard "good enough to win a SB" or something, but "good enough to lose a SB" is a weird hill to die on

There are a host of QBs who are good enough to take you to the Superbowl and then blow it. Anyone remember Rex? Jimmy G is a perfect example of this type of QB. The Trent Dilfers and Brad Johnson's of the world had a ton of luck and dominant defenses to get them rings.  

13 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

There are a host of QBs who are good enough to take you to the Superbowl and then blow it. Anyone remember Rex? Jimmy G is a perfect example of this type of QB. The Trent Dilfers and Brad Johnson's of the world had a ton of luck and dominant defenses to get them rings.  

Garoppolo was winning the Super Bowl by 2 scores with 7 minutes left. Grossman was only good enough to lose a Super Bowl because of the defense despite some good games beforehand. To a tee yeah I guess every QB who's ever lost a Super Bowl and never won one fits your description, but that's a little unfair don't you think?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is how it will go.

-The Bears will trade for Carr. 

-The Bears will ask to re-work his deal to open up space.

-Carr will agree because he gets his money guaranteed and turned into bonus which is good for him and the team. Win-win.

The deal will remain 3 years 58 million, it will just look different than its current structure.

That's a fantasy scenario with a probability of happening of about 5%

8 hours ago, Nads786 said:

There are plenty of QBs worse than Carr with Super Bowl rings.

Bears fans are really understating how much better he is than Trubisky. QB was one of the weakest positions on the team and is extremely important in the modern game. Carr would be a major upgrade to this team.

Edited by abstract_thought

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

There are plenty of QBs worse than Carr with Super Bowl rings.

Bears fans are really understating how much better he is than Trubisky. QB was one of the weakest positions on the team and is extremely important in the modern game. Carr would be a major upgrade to this team.

I really can't justify a QB who has that poor of a record in sub 50* weather games coming to a city where he could be in sub 50* weather as early as September. Let alone the fact that the games that count the most are in January/Febuary.

It's like betting on Cousins not blowing it in a big game.... until he starts statistically doing it, I'm not convinced he even can do it.

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

I really can't justify a QB who has that poor of a record in sub 50* weather games coming to a city where he could be in sub 50* weather as early as September. Let alone the fact that the games that count the most are in January/Febuary.

It's like betting on Cousins not blowing it in a big game.... until he starts statistically doing it, I'm not convinced he even can do it.

His overall record of 39-55 isn’t exactly compelling either. He’s been on some lousy teams for sure but how many upper echelon QBs do we see consistently on teams that struggle this bad? Take away the one outlier season where Oakland was 12-3 in his starts and his teams have won just 27 games in the other 5 seasons he’s been a starter. He’s not the only reason those teams didn’t win more, but as the QB he’s also the player most in position to change that too. He doesn’t have a great history of elevating his team. 

I just don’t see enough clear positives to justify trading for Carr over signing some of the other potential options should we choose to go the route of bringing in a guy to start immediately. 

The cold weather thing is misleading.  You acclimate to your environment.  When you vacation in winter you go swimming when it is 70 degrees and locales look at you like you are nuts.  You would never do that in August.

First time it hits 50 in September people are very cold.  50 in March feels like shorts weather.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The cold weather thing is misleading.  You acclimate to your environment.  When you vacation in winter you go swimming when it is 70 degrees and locales look at you like you are nuts.  You would never do that in August.

First time it hits 50 in September people are very cold.  50 in March feels like shorts weather.  

Rodgers was a Cali boy his whole life and I'm pretty sure he has one of the best December records ever.

Using Carr’s record with the Raiders to discredit him is pretty disingenuous given how much turmoil that organization has gone through during his time there.

He’s a good QB. And while the Bears need to improve the OL and TE positions, they also need to improve the QB position. Carr is probably the most significant, impactful addition they can make this offseason.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Using Carr’s record with the Raiders to discredit him is pretty disingenuous given how much turmoil that organization has gone through during his time there.

He’s a good QB. And while the Bears need to improve the OL and TE positions, they also need to improve the QB position. Carr is probably the most significant, impactful addition they can make this offseason.

hes-right-you-know-35662692.png

But it most likely won't happen. Because Bears fans have to suffer. It's like it's in the NFL guidelines, or something...

7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

hes-right-you-know-35662692.png

But it most likely won't happen. Because Bears fans have to suffer. It's like it's in the NFL guidelines, or something...

My point in posting his record is that good QBs don’t have .415 winning percentages over 6 seasons. And that’s with a 12-3 season mixed in there. His winning percentage in the other 5 seasons is just .342. Oakland’s talent hasn’t been that far down compared to the rest of the league that a good QB should be that bad record-wise. If that’s the level of player we bring in as the fall back option then I’m totally cool with that, but Dalton or Keenum can do that at half the price or less without the need for a draft capital expense. Trading away real draft capital and hitching our horse to that wagon for at minimum 2 years with that trade just doesn’t appeal to me. We need to want more than that. I don’t want us to settle for average long term because average is better than what we saw last year.