Brad Biggs: On the QB Position

WindyCity

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Same. Rosen sucks. Thought so when he was at UCLA where I saw several of his games and haven’t seen anything since to change my mind. I wouldn’t trade a seat on Windy’s #firepace bus for Rosen. 

Hot ticket, of course you wouldn't.

• Like 1

I'm at the point of looking to building the rest of the team around the 2021 QB. Mitch isn't a bad guy and he sure as hell didn't get a lot of help, but his ceiling is too low to be worth investing in. 

Pace is going all-in against house odds if he determined to force Tru to be his starter this year, and it isn't a good bet IMO. It's one that likely costs him his job and Nagy might lose his as well.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Next year's class isn't nearly as deep. How bad do you think the Bears will be next season? 

With Tru at the helm, I feel like we just miss the playoffs. The team is too talented to lose a ton of games. Of course with FA and the draft not being here, it is all way too early for real estimations but I just feel like we're diving into that good old 8-8 purgatory. Defense keeps us in about every game and offense costs us 6 losses due to laughable performances. That's the early bet I'll take. 

20 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

With Tru at the helm, I feel like we just miss the playoffs. The team is too talented to lose a ton of games. Of course with FA and the draft not being here, it is all way too early for real estimations but I just feel like we're diving into that good old 8-8 purgatory. Defense keeps us in about every game and offense costs us 6 losses due to laughable performances. That's the early bet I'll take. 

At this point I agree. Go 5-11 and let Kirchner move up for his QB

38 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yes it is. Lawrence, Fields, Newman, Purdy and Costello could all be top 50 picks

I'd slot Purdy as the third. With the others wherever. They most likely won't all be top 50 picks. 

This year we have Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts, Eason, Fromm, Gordon, and Stanley. Five of them will likely be top 50 picks. There will probably be four first round quarterbacks this draft. There probably won't be next draft. 

Edited by Heinz D.

59 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That's all exactly what I was getting at. We're into hair-splitting territory, but with an 8-8 record, I think the claim that, "well, we'll just get a quarterback next go-round" is a little off. Well, unless you see the dissolution of this teams' core as inevitable. And you may well be right if that's your position.

But, in the last fifty years, how many franchise quarterbacks have the Bears had? McMahon doesn't count, as he was insane, and always injured. The answer? Almost one. And if you guessed Erik Kramer, you win the prize. It's not easy to find good QBs, and if you don't have one you need to be proactive. 

Either way, you're right, and the Bears most likely won't be, and things will just continue to clunk along...

Edited by Heinz D.

3 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

If we are going to stick with Mitch and focus on a backup I'd rather draft. FA QBs are still gonna want 5+

That's a pretty good position to have. Less proactive than what I'd do in Pace's place, but reasonable.

Unfortunately, they'll probably get a cheap free agent backup, pray he's better than Daniel, and not draft anybody else. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

That's a pretty good position to have. Less proactive than what I'd do in Pace's place, but reasonable.

Unfortunately, they'll probably get a cheap free agent backup, pray he's better than Daniel, and not draft anybody else. 

I'd rather put that FA money elsewhere. I'd rather spend a 4th on a QB or pay vet min

🤓
17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:
That's all exactly what I was getting at. We're into hair-splitting territory, but with an 8-8 record, I think the claim that, "well, we'll just get a quarterback next go-round" is a little off. Well, unless you see the dissolution of this teams' core as inevitable. And you may well be right if that's your position.

But, in the last fifty years, how many franchise quarterbacks have the Bears had? McMahon doesn't count, as he was insane, and always injured. The answer? Almost one. And if you guessed Erik Kramer, you win the prize. It's not easy to find good QBs, and you don't have one you need to be proactive. 

Either way, you're right, and the Bears most likely won't be, and things will just continue to clunk along...

I think that we need to invest heavily to try and get a franchise QB. I spoke a while back of my willingness to bet the farm on the top QB, and making a Rams/Titans like trade to do so. 

Here is the breakdown of their trade

Rams traded to Titans: 

• 2016 Round 1 pick (No. 15) 
  • 2016 Round 2 pick (No. 43)
  • 2016 Round 2 pick (No. 45)
  • 2016 Round 3 pick (No. 76
  • 2017 Round 1 pick (No. 5)
  • 2017 Round 3 pick (No. 100)

Titans traded to Rams: 

• 2016 Round 1 pick (No. 1 overall)
  • 2016 Round 4 pick (No. 113)
  • 2016 Round 6 pick (No. 177)

That is with the Rams jumping from the middle of the draft order to the number 1 pick. I'd make that same leap to get Lawrence, I'd even be willing to go a straight 3 years of 1st's and 2nd's if I had to. If I could make that trade for Burrow right now I'd do it too (can you trade that far into the future? I think 2 years ahead is the limit in the NFL but I may be thinking of the NBA). So I could do both 2nd's this year and the 1st and 2nd for 2021 and 2022. I don't care at this point, I want Burrow or Lawrence and will pay like a mother****er to do so. 

I've always been the one claiming McMahon was overrated. That is why I want a franchise QB, because any long-term success is almost impossible without one. The Bears were one average QB away from 2-3 more Super Bowls. The Bears of the 2000s were one away from 1 Super Bowl and challenging for at least 1-2 more. We were one average QB away from a Super Bowl in the 2018 season and likely last year we challenge for one at the minimum with one. People may complain about how much you lose if the QB busts but that's fine with me, because if the QB busts you're not doing much anyway, and if you DO hit on the QB then you have 10-15 years of the most important spot in the game secured. 

Edited by Sugashane