Early Offseason “Pre Free-Agency” Mock

Dome

On 3/2/2020 at 9:27 AM, Dome said:

To be completely honest, the last couple years have tarnished him a little for me.

His participation in advocare is a MLM looking to take advantage of people who just don’t understand what they’re getting into.... and dont get me started on his support of Focus on the Family, cause I don’t think I can even talk about it here

bad taste in my mouth,  big time 

I don't think he really knew what all Focus on the family was, and he said as much.

But still, I think Brees is just a terrible businessman and ignorant of a lot.  He's had several bad ventures over the years for whatever reason.  I don't think he's actually trying to run pyramid schemes.  And like most other Christians, he'll probably support Christian organizations without really digging into it.  Which is bad, but is what it is.  

16 hours ago, Raves said:

Depending on what Washington does, there might be a Rosen type scenario where the Redskins are willing to let go of Haskins for cheap to make sure there is no confusion of who is "their guy."  Haskins has all the tools to be a top NFL QB, just needs experience and development, something that he would get a lot of from Brees and Payton.

Im not big on Haskins... Never was. Id actually rather have Jalen Hurts to be honest.

4 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not all that high on Hurts, just giving some insight to what I think of Haskins... in a nice way. Lol

Two questions then.  What do you think of Burrows and what exactly don't you like about Haskins?

7 hours ago, Raves said:

Two questions then.  What do you think of Burrows and what exactly don't you like about Haskins?

Everything I like about Burrow is exactly what I hate about Haskins... I like Haskins physical tools, his arm is good and seems to throw a fairly accurate ball. I think he benefited greatly from the system at OSU and even Myer eluded to that when he was drafted. Burrow to me has everything you want from the neck up, he’s elite. His physical tools are good yes he lacks a cannon for an arm but Manning nor Brees were thought to have strong arms coming out. Haskins has also turned me away with attitude, character and reports of poor work ethic all things I don’t have to worry about with Burrow. I can care less that Urban Myer started Haskins over Burrow which most would say now looking back was a mistake. I’m not sure where your going with this question but I’ll come right out and say it... No, I do not think that Haskins is in either Burrow or Tua’s class. I see him as a decent player if he matures and learns how to read NFL defenses but his ceiling to me is much lower than the others. I think there is a reason Haskins went 15th in the draft and only because Snyder made the pick himself when the staff clearly did not want him so lord knows how far he would have slipped. I hope the kids ceiling is like Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater but the more I see him and think back my comp for him has always been Geno Smith.  

4 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Everything I like about Burrow is exactly what I hate about Haskins... I like Haskins physical tools, his arm is good and seems to throw a fairly accurate ball. I think he benefited greatly from the system at OSU and even Myer eluded to that when he was drafted. Burrow to me has everything you want from the neck up, he’s elite. His physical tools are good yes he lacks a cannon for an arm but Manning nor Brees were thought to have strong arms coming out. Haskins has also turned me away with attitude, character and reports of poor work ethic all things I don’t have to worry about with Burrow. I can care less that Urban Myer started Haskins over Burrow which most would say now looking back was a mistake. I’m not sure where your going with this question but I’ll come right out and say it... No, I do not think that Haskins is in either Burrow or Tua’s class. I see him as a decent player if he matures and learns how to read NFL defenses but his ceiling to me is much lower than the others. I think there is a reason Haskins went 15th in the draft and only because Snyder made the pick himself when the staff clearly did not want him so lord knows how far he would have slipped. I hope the kids ceiling is like Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater but the more I see him and think back my comp for him has always been Geno Smith.  

What did you think of Burrow after his first year starting for LSU?

All I'm trying to say is let's be fair here.  Year 1 Burrow was mediocre at best.  Year 2, a whole additional year of experience in college, he gets an NFL system which you knocked Haskins for, with better WRs and he put up just as impressive numbers as Haskins did.

Yes I was pointing out that Haskins beat out Burrow, in a close race I'll admit, but Haskins made the mistake of heading to the NFL after one year when he needed to gain more experience and develop more.

Also the reports I've seen commenting negatively on his work ethic, or that he needs more of it, are also admitting that he's working on his game on his own as well.

SI Article on which Doug Williams comments on Haskins work ethic.

Sure - he complimented him for his performance late in the year. 

He admitted that Haskins has been at the facility working on his own. That's all good. 

Once again, Williams questioned Haskins' work ethic either in the past or still to a degree, now.

"I just try to tell him what he has to do to get him out of that mentality that I  can just galavant all over the place on the offseason, when really you need to be here trying to find out what I need to do for the season."

So apparently he works on his game on his own but doesn't have work ethic... I'm confused.  Is his work ethic that of Lamar Jackson... well obviously not.  But I'm pretty sure he's putting in the same amount of time as the "galavanting" DeShaun Watson who IIRC spends his entire offseason traveling the world and taking selfies.  Yes, I know Watson has performed from the start, but you know what else Watson has.  2 1/2 years of starting in College and a coaching staff that bought into him on Day 1.

Article on how he's trying to handle his mistakes and improve:  

Haskins planning to take receivers to FL

I mean what more do you want?  Haskins obviously needed more experience as he had all the tools to succeed and he was put into a difficult system with coaches that weren't behind him.  Also like I said, if it only costs a package similar to that of Rosen, a 2nd and 4th, why the hell not when you have a player with all the physical tools as well as being able to get the experience and mentorship from Brees and Payton?

21 hours ago, Raves said:

What did you think of Burrow after his first year starting for LSU?

I actually have more respect for Burrow from his 1st season as a starter at LSU. People not tuned into the LSU program honestly don’t know are weren’t aware of how young and inexperienced his offensive line was. Talented yes but very young and a work in progress with a new coaching staff. Burrow took a beating that season, it was brutal. Still he was tough, gritty. He never backed down, never complained and never pointed a finger. He took the butt whipping like a pro and tried to rally his troops. So much of the love, respect and admiration Burrow earned from his teammates was earned in that first season, not this past year. Still throughout his first year you saw the glimpses of greatness in him. As LSU fans most would say, “boy if they could ever give this kid time, watch out”. What Joe did last year was extremely impressive but it did not shock most LSU fans what shocked us is how well the O-line Came together and the emergence of JaMarr Chase. We knew Burrow would be a stud if just given better protection and we saw that this year. Yes Joe Brady was a vital piece but Brady was more hands on with the receivers more so than with Burrow and Stevie E was still the play caller. 

18 hours ago, Raves said:

All I'm trying to say is let's be fair here.  Year 1 Burrow was mediocre at best.  Year 2, a whole additional year of experience in college, he gets an NFL system which you knocked Haskins for, with better WRs and he put up just as impressive numbers as Haskins did.

Yes I was pointing out that Haskins beat out Burrow, in a close race I'll admit, but Haskins made the mistake of heading to the NFL after one year when he needed to gain more experience and develop more.

Also the reports I've seen commenting negatively on his work ethic, or that he needs more of it, are also admitting that he's working on his game on his own as well.

SI Article on which Doug Williams comments on Haskins work ethic.

So apparently he works on his game on his own but doesn't have work ethic... I'm confused.  Is his work ethic that of Lamar Jackson... well obviously not.  But I'm pretty sure he's putting in the same amount of time as the "galavanting" DeShaun Watson who IIRC spends his entire offseason traveling the world and taking selfies.  Yes, I know Watson has performed from the start, but you know what else Watson has.  2 1/2 years of starting in College and a coaching staff that bought into him on Day 1.

Article on how he's trying to handle his mistakes and improve:  

Haskins planning to take receivers to FL

I mean what more do you want?  Haskins obviously needed more experience as he had all the tools to succeed and he was put into a difficult system with coaches that weren't behind him.  Also like I said, if it only costs a package similar to that of Rosen, a 2nd and 4th, why the hell not when you have a player with all the physical tools as well as being able to get the experience and mentorship from Brees and Payton?

Once again... I don’t think Haskins is a terrible prospect, I felt he was a 2nd round talent when he came out that should have stayed in school. As far as now it’s different. Maybe I’d consider giving up a 3rd round pick for him but not in this draft! WR is a major need for this team and this draft will have top level WR talent littered in the 3rd round. With no 2nd rounder I fully expect the Saints to Target other needs in round 1 then take advantage of the deep WR class and target one in the 3rd so the most I’d offer for Haskins would be either a 4th this year or a 2021 3rd, that just how I value him. Hell the Saints gave up a 3rd for Bridgewater and I feel he’s a much better player with as much upside as Haskins. Now do I feel Haskins could be a good fit in NOLA under Payton? Yes I actually do but the price would need to be right and fall inline with what the team’s short and long term goals are. Say the Redskins draft Tua (which I don’t think will happen) and we could get Haskins for a 5th rounder and future 3rd rounder I say do it. I don’t feel the job should be just handed to Taysom Hill and I do believe this team needs a young quarterback prospect in the building to push Hill.

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Once again... I don’t think Haskins is a terrible prospect, I felt he was a 2nd round talent when he came out that should have stayed in school. As far as now it’s different. Maybe I’d consider giving up a 3rd round pick for him but not in this draft! WR is a major need for this team and this draft will have top level WR talent littered in the 3rd round. With no 2nd rounder I fully expect the Saints to Target other needs in round 1 then take advantage of the deep WR class and target one in the 3rd so the most I’d offer for Haskins would be either a 4th this year or a 2021 3rd, that just how I value him. Hell the Saints gave up a 3rd for Bridgewater and I feel he’s a much better player with as much upside as Haskins. Now do I feel Haskins could be a good fit in NOLA under Payton? Yes I actually do but the price would need to be right and fall inline with what the team’s short and long term goals are. Say the Redskins draft Tua (which I don’t think will happen) and we could get Haskins for a 5th rounder and future 3rd rounder I say do it. I don’t feel the job should be just handed to Taysom Hill and I do believe this team needs a young quarterback prospect in the building to push Hill.

I think you're drastically underselling him as a prospect personally.

Also any picks for Haskins wouldn't be for this draft as I've mentioned multiple times it would be because of a Rosen type situation.  So the 2nd and 4th, the cost of Rosen, would be for next years draft, not this draft.  At worst we get a back-up QB on the cheap because all the guaranteed money would've been payed by Washington already so it's just base salaries/bonuses we have to pay for, at best he develops into QBOTF and beats out Hill.

On 3/1/2020 at 1:40 PM, whodatworm23 said:

Come on Raves, you know how this works... two prospects graded similar to each other but ones a QB. You always go QB and the only reason you don’t is because your still committed to your current one and that’s my point. The Saints were committed to a 38-39 year old QB with a dying arm because they were to afraid to move off him. 

It in the past I get it, I do like Lattimore and that draft class was special but it dosen't mean imma overlook the fact that they passed on two special young quarterbacks and STILL refuse to address the situation after 3 pitiful performances in the playoffs at 41 years old. We have to hear them talk up Taysom Hill as a QB to turn attention away from what’s really going on. 

If Mahomes is there...I think they take Mahomes. They just don’t want to come out and say it because Lattimore is in their team. 

• Like 1