Cuts      
Name Cap Hit Savings New Cap Hit
Kiko Alonso $8,700,000 $7,850,000 $850,000
Patrick Robinson $6,150,000 $3,650,000 $2,500,000
Craig Robertson $2,400,000 $1,750,000 $650,000

Projected Cap Space after Cuts - $22,573,000

Extensions      
Terron Armstead $16,000,000 $6,500,000 $9,500,000

Signs a 2-year extension with a $10m signing bonus, giving him 4-years remaining on his deal. The extension converts $9m of his 2020 and 2021 salaries ($18m total) into a fully guaranteed roster bonus spread evenly over the final 3 years of his contract. $10m base salary in 2022 and $11m in 2023 put Armstead's new AVG/YR at $15.1, a $2.1m per year raise while guaranteeing himself $28m over the next 4 years. The Saints might not know who their QB of the future is just yet, but they know who's going to be protecting him.

Janoris Jenkins $11,250,000 $3,500,000 $7,750,000

Signs a 1-year extension witha $2m signing bonus, giving him 2-years remaining on his deal. The extension moves fully guarantees $9m of his 2020 base salary and convert half of it into a $4.5m roster bonus for 2021. A $5.65m base salary in 2020 and a $6m base salary in 2022 puts him at over $9.6m AVG/YR with $11m guaranteed over the next two. Saints lock up a veteran presence on the defensive back end.

Larry Warford $12,875,000 $2,334,000 $10,541,000

Signs a 2-year exension with an $8m signing bonus, giving him 3-year remaining on his deal. $5m of his 2020 base salary is coverted into a fully guaranteed roster bonus, pushed into 2021. Base salaries of $7m in 2021 and 7.5m in 2022 give Warford cap hits of $10.5, $12.3m and $12.8m for the three years of his deal.

Projected Cap Space after Extensions - $34,907,000

Re-Sign New Money (2020) Total Cap Hit
Drew Brees $15,000,000 $28,400,000
Vonn Bell $6,500,000 $6,500,000
David Onyemata $5,000,000 $5,000,000
Taysom Hill $3,278,000 $3,278,000
Cameron Tom $1,050,000 $1,050,000
Kieth Kirkwood $660,000 $660,000

Brees: Signs a 2-year contract that will automatically void on March 1st of 2021. The deal comes with an additonal $10m base in 2020 and a $5m signing bonus spread over both years putting the dead cap at $7.9m for 2021 when Brees is likely to be retired. The $10m base gives us some wiggle room to restructure more into 2021 if we need money for an unexpected FA later in the process.

Bell: Signs a 4-year contract worth $40m ($20m guaranteed, including a $12m signing bonus). $10m per year for a do-it-all safety will feel like a bargain in a couple more years, his final year can voided with a $3m cap hit.

Onyemata: Signs a 3-year contract worth $20m ($12m fully guaranteed, including a $6m signing bonus and $3m base in each of the 1st two years of the deal.)

Hill: 2nd Round Tender

Tom: Signs a 3-year contract worth $4m ($1m guaranteed) including a $750k signing bonus. $800k base salary in 2020 makes for a $1.05m cap hit and he'll earn an additional $250k in a fully guaranteed 2021 roster bonus. Saints lock up an extra blocker and interior depth with an easy release after this season. This move may open up the door for a Nick Easton release in the future.

Kirkwood: ERFA Tender

Projected Cap Space after their own FA Signings - $3,419,000

Core players under contract:

QB - Drew Brees and Taysom Hill
HB - Alvin Kamara and Latavius Murray
FB - Taysom Hill
TE - Jared Cook/Taysom Hill/Josh Hill
WR - Michael Thomas, Trequan Smith, Taysom Hill, Deonte Harris, LilJordan Humphrey, Kieth Kirkwood

LT - Terron Armstead
LG - Nick Easton, Will Clapp
C - Erik McCoy, Cameron Tom
RG - Larry Warford
RT - Ryan Ramczyk

DE - Cam Jordan, Mario Edwards
DT - Sheldon Rankins, David Onyemata
DT - Malcolm Brown, Shy Tuttle
DE - Marcus Davenport, Trey Hendrickson

LB - Demario Davis, Alex Anzalone 

CB - Marshon Lattimore, Janoris Jenkins, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

S - Marcus Williams, Vonn Bell 

K - Wil Lutz
P - Thomas Morstead

Edited by Dome

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Hill was already given a 1st round tender, or at least the plan currently right?

It was a rumor... likely started by the Saints to gauge reactions and help decide how they’re going to handle it. Right now Payton says they’re still working on an extension so they can avoid the tag completely 

10 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

So Brees comes back for only 15 million? I'll believe that when i see it!!!

$15m in new money

$28m cap hit 

might be a little unrealistic but at the same time, Brees is aware of our cap situation and HAS to know he needs help on both sides of the ball. There were whispers early in the season that this would be the year he would cut the Saints some slack, we’ll see 

Edited by Dome

After seeing some mocks on other Saints sites I’m realizing my fairly unlikely mock is among the most reasonable

there are some hilariously bad ones

one on a site I won’t name here thought we’d put a 1st round hill on Taysom and the raiders would give up their #12 pick for him

lolololololololololol

12 hours ago, Dome said:

After seeing some mocks on other Saints sites I’m realizing my fairly unlikely mock is among the most reasonable

there are some hilariously bad ones

one on a site I won’t name here thought we’d put a 1st round hill on Taysom and the raiders would give up their #12 pick for him

lolololololololololol

Biggest thing I wanna see this offseason is how this Taysom Hill thing pans out... Payton already on record that they’d rather get an extension done with him and avoid the tender completely but told local radio that if not they would then have to turn to the 1st round tender. They fully expect someone to make a run at him if tendered at the 1st round level. 

This is getting beyond posturing IMO... but we’ll see.

Don't put anything past Gruden and Mayock! They drafted Cellini Ferrell 4th overall last year when almost everyone had him as a late 1sr rounder. Man, this NFL game is different these days, we just don’t know how aggressive anyone will get if they convince themselves that someone is a franchise QB. 

5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that a 2nd rounder for Taysom Hill is mistake. It encourages teams to get into a bidding war. By slapping a 1st round tender I’d argue that we could pay less...and Hill is still definitely worth $4.5 million this season. 

Its so confusing with Hill... Is he worth the 4.5? Yes... If hes in his multi purpose role of the do it all swiss army knife. However if Payton is serious about him as a franchise QB and Hill is to be the backup this year, you simply cant risk the injury to him therefor its 4.5 million to sit and watch.

Still worth it... IF hes really a future franchise QB.

Theres ALOT of IF's in there!!!

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

Its so confusing with Hill... Is he worth the 4.5? Yes... If hes in his multi purpose role of the do it all swiss army knife. However if Payton is serious about him as a franchise QB and Hill is to be the backup this year, you simply cant risk the injury to him therefor its 4.5 million to sit and watch.

Still worth it... IF hes really a future franchise QB.

Theres ALOT of IF's in there!!!

He’s 30 years old. With his playing style I just can see him playing his game at a high level much more than four years. I think that next year the Saints plan on use him at a much higher clip at QB...maybe a quarter or more of the snaps. It’s unconventional but I could see Payton as the coach to pull it off. I do not see him sitting on the bench ala Teddy this year. If he gets hurt, so be it. Just like Lamar Jackson...that’s the risk you take for playing. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:00 AM, whodatworm23 said:

So Brees comes back for only 15 million? I'll believe that when i see it!!!

Zero chance this happens. I fully expect him to end up getting $20 mil, maybe $25. I've said it before and I will say it again. I am over Drew. I've been over Drew. Love him, glad he's been a part of the organization, but we need to move on. Financially he is killing us. We need to have someone new under center so we can properly prepare for the future. Letting him hang around is only going to hurt us more in the long run as more and more other young players need new deals (looking towards Kamara, Lattimore, and Williams).

9 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

Zero chance this happens. I fully expect him to end up getting $20 mil, maybe $25. I've said it before and I will say it again. I am over Drew. I've been over Drew. Love him, glad he's been a part of the organization, but we need to move on. Financially he is killing us. We need to have someone new under center so we can properly prepare for the future. Letting him hang around is only going to hurt us more in the long run as more and more other young players need new deals (looking towards Kamara, Lattimore, and Williams).

I agree Navyman, it’s almost like it’s not about the Saints winning another championship anymore... now it’s all about Brees getting his 2nd one. I get it, he was a great player and done the most for this organization but let’s be honest here. Drew IS holding this team back. Brees has been showing signs of aging for 3-4 years now, most fans say that’s ridiculous and point to his stats and the fact that the team has been in playoff runs the last 3 years. The fact is Drew has always manufactured stats and it’s not that impressive anymore, he’ll Jamies Winston threw for over 5,000 yards and 30 TD’s this season. The roster around Drew is what really has been carrying the  team to the playoffs but once their we needed our QB to win games for us and it’s been in the playoffs where Drew’s flaws really have been showing themselves. 

Fact is Brees has had a very good roster 3 straight years and 3 straight years he’s had clunkers in the playoffs. Over the last 2 offseason’s the Saints had opportunities to draft Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson or Lamar Jackson. Now ask yourself, how would this roster look with one of those quarterbacks on it despite the player that would have to be replaced? Lattimore is a good corner but he isn’t a better player than Mahomes or Watson. Davenport over the reigning MVP are you kidding me? The thing is, the Lattimore pick and the Davenport trade were made specifically to enhance the defense as an “all in” approach to “win another one for Drew”. Instead of looking to the future the Saints front office cannot get out of the past and this franchise has suffered for it.

Now hes back again... and they are basically saying forget about a QB because we got this 30 year old gadget guy with 13 nfl passes to his name.

Honestly, I really can’t wait till he retires. Every time I watch Mahomes, Watson or Jackson play I think of what could have been.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I agree Navyman, it’s almost like it’s not about the Saints winning another championship anymore... now it’s all about Brees getting his 2nd one. I get it, he was a great player and done the most for this organization but let’s be honest here. Drew IS holding this team back. Brees has been showing signs of aging for 3-4 years now, most fans say that’s ridiculous and point to his stats and the fact that the team has been in playoff runs the last 3 years. The fact is Drew has always manufactured stats and it’s not that impressive anymore, he’ll Jamies Winston threw for over 5,000 yards and 30 TD’s this season. The roster around Drew is what really has been carrying the  team to the playoffs but once their we needed our QB to win games for us and it’s been in the playoffs where Drew’s flaws really have been showing themselves. 

Fact is Brees has had a very good roster 3 straight years and 3 straight years he’s had clunkers in the playoffs. Over the last 2 offseason’s the Saints had opportunities to draft Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson or Lamar Jackson. Now ask yourself, how would this roster look with one of those quarterbacks on it despite the player that would have to be replaced? Lattimore is a good corner but he isn’t a better player than Mahomes or Watson. Davenport over the reigning MVP are you kidding me? The thing is, the Lattimore pick and the Davenport trade were made specifically to enhance the defense as an “all in” approach to “win another one for Drew”. Instead of looking to the future the Saints front office cannot get out of the past and this franchise has suffered for it.

Now hes back again... and they are basically saying forget about a QB because we got this 30 year old gadget guy with 13 nfl passes to his name.

Honestly, I really can’t wait till he retires. Every time I watch Mahomes, Watson or Jackson play I think of what could have been.

Pretty sure Mahomes and Watson went before their picks, though Lamar could've been drafted over Davenport, also who I 100% expected them to draft.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Pretty sure Mahomes and Watson went before their picks, though Lamar could've been drafted over Davenport, also who I 100% expected them to draft.

Mayock spent 5 minutes before the announcement of the pick talking about Lamar Jackson to the Saints.... I was certain that’s what the pick was, so was mayock 

i still remember how disappointed I was 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1